Would You Be Less Inclined To Sell To A Trader?

BobS

Sold my Westy recently.

Advertised it late one evening, a chap phoned up first thing in the morning & left a message that he'd been looking for ages & this was just the spec he'd been looking for, didn't want to miss it etc.

I gave him a call and he arranged to come & see it that evening.

Sure enough, he turned up on time, seemed genuinely interested in the car. Picked a few holes in it to try to knock the price down, but I knew it was priced right so stuck to my guns & the deal was done.

I helped him load it on the trailer he had 'borrowed from his mate' & that was that.

A couple of days later, it is readvertised at a substantially increased price, so the guy was obviously a trader.

Now, I dont really care if he's a trader or not. I got a quick easy sale for the price I wanted.

If he then finds someone willing to pay well over the odds for it, well done!

But why the fairy stories?

Would you be put off if a potential buyer was a trader?

Nope! If he or she is prepared to pay the price I had advertised the article for. I have no problem in selling the car, boat, caravan, motor home, house, fridge or anything else to them. Most sellers advertise their possessions at a higher price than the one they are prepared to accept.

Full advertised price I would consider as a result.

The buyer/ Trader makes a profit, good on them! They need to eat as well!

:)

Would you be put off if a potential buyer was a trader?

No I wouldn't. If I'm selling then I'd be wanting to get the best money I can for the car, and if that's with a trader rather than private then I'd have no problem. I don't however see why they can't be honest.

everyone thinks they are a trader now buying and selling stuff on the likes of ebay be it phones parts or cars , I find with cars that a lot of sellers have emotional attachments to their cars, Ive experienced it a few times when ive gone to buy cars, If you say you are a trader the seller is straight away on the back foot and negotiating becomes harder as they feel as though they are loosing out and the car must be underpriced if a trader is buying it. Often not the case as a lot of traders buy to order and will take a small finders fee, I take each deal as it comes and see how the buyer /seller is but if I go to buy a car I will say nothing unless asked . as said if you get your asking price you should be happy :)

I am happy with the sale, I got the price I wanted.

Just don't understand why it was necessary to give the impression that he was a private buyer?

I'd be amazed if he gets anywhere near the price its up for, but good luck to him for trying.

everyone thinks they are a trader now buying and selling stuff on the likes of ebay be it phones parts or cars , I find with cars that a lot of sellers have emotional attachments to their cars, Ive experienced it a few times when ive gone to buy cars, If you say you are a trader the seller is straight away on the back foot and negotiating becomes harder as they feel as though they are loosing out and the car must be underpriced if a trader is buying it. Often not the case as a lot of traders buy to order and will take a small finders fee, I take each deal as it comes and see how the buyer /seller is but if I go to buy a car I will say nothing unless asked . as said if you get your asking price you should be happy :)

Totally agree with you Jeff, and how many times have private sellers tried to scam you with problem cars because you have been up front as a trader?

I know all traders have an unlimited supply of cheap replacement spare parts, and free labor to fit them :d

:down:

Just as an aside:-

I have no connection with the motor trade :)

so who is going to be first to ask who the trader is :laugh:

so who is going to be first to ask who the trader is :laugh:

It's probably irrelevant , cos although he probably hasn't got any cars for sale anyway :laugh:

• Like 2

I think it'd depend on whether I got the price I wanted, or money I needed (hypotetical of course).

If I got a price I was happy with, I really wouldn't give a stuff.

I can fully appreciate what Jeff says though.

Bob

I know what you mean because exactly the same happened to me. Like you I got the price I wanted then two days later it's online and sold within days "apparently" for £2k more. Still I took that with a pinch of salt because some 12 months later it's back on line, with a couple of mods for .... wait for it £4k more. The mods cost approx £1k and surprise it's sold again in a matter of days oh and by the way 1k less miles on the clock than when I sold it. As long as you got what you wanted, forget the lies and ignore the fantasy price tag, we all know traders need to make a profit but if I am guessing correctly the one in question he does this a lot.

I sold my last car to JeffC a couple of years ago. I got more than the garage were going to give me for trade in so I was happy. No doubt Jeff made a few £'s as well.

Providing you get the price you want (or more than anyone else is offering) does it matter ?

We've seen this scenario so many times before , chap advertises car , buyer ( who turns out to be a "trader" re - advertises at double the price he paid you for it .

You can't complain , no law broken , he'se doing what traders do

But it does suggest to me that you guys are advertising/ selling your cars way too cheap in the first place .

• Like 1

But it does suggest to me that you guys are advertising/ selling your cars way too cheap in the first place .

Not always. There are a number of reasons buyers or sellers use dealers. e.g. warranty, finance, partex, location, going to a commercial premises rather than a home, may deliver, consumer protection, reputaton for only selling good cars so no time wasted visiting loads of cars, safe money transfer etc etc

Many of us may not value these but some buyers do. So they may happily pay an extra £500 or £1000 for some or all of the above. It's not just he value of the car but the overall package. I know of plenty of people who will never buy or sell cars privately because they don't want the 'risk' or 'hassle'. Same as there are people who will only buy a car new or with manufacturers warranty.

It happens everyday with mainstream cars - why should it be different with Westfields? Caterham have two authorised dealers for their cars.

I bought my first Westfield 15 years ago from Terry Nightingale. He had the car I wanted at roughly the right price and in those days he had 10 different cars in stock that I could sit in and try out. He was on my doorstep and it saved me spending several weekends driving around the country.

David

• Like 1

<p style="margin-left: 40px">I posted about a similar experience a couple of years ago. I sold my car to someone who led me to believe they were a private buyer (who could 'borrow' a trailer from a friend). I wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest if he had told me he was a trader as I got the price I wanted but what did bother me was the dishonesty about the things he told me.</p>