Mallory Park...

Peter Cox

How much is the gojuice of the 4 star variety at Mallory?

And do they take cards of the credit variant or does it have to be drinking vouchers?

Expensive, and drinking vouchers only.......It's SUL (I think), and nearly a quid a litre..........

Buy a jerry can, or go out at lunch time.............

Looks like it's the Jerry can route, maybe several. Having a tiny tanker I could be out of juice by the end of the 2nd session, let alone getting all the way to lunchtime.

Anyone got any recommendations for good, cheap Jerry's in Notts/Derbys area?

Oh, BTW Blatters, I could've laid odds that you'd be the first to reply. :p

If you have a chandlers near you (near the canals possibly?) then you can get 6 gallon plastic (doesn't rust, doesn't scratch paintwork and a lot lighter when empty) cans for about £15  :D

6 gallon

Given my limited mathematical abilities, I've tried to work out how much fuel I'll need using: -

1.5 miles per lap

10 miles per gallon (about half that I get on the road  - i.e. worst case scenario)

15 minutes per session

1 minute per lap (I know...unlikely  :p but again, wcs)

8 sessions per day

Assuming I get there dry and adding a further 20% contingency (how risk adverse), this gives me, unless I'm being  :sheep: , about 22 gallons or 98.2 litres for the day.

So, thanks but 6 gallons ain't even enough until lunchtime.

Anyone with a 130bhp (@ flywheel), Weber 40's, leaded using, Xflow want to "refine" my estimation?

How do you V8 guys survive?  :0

If no-one's planning to bring communal 4 star it looks like the jerry can is the straw that makes me bring a tow car (and hire a trailer for too much moolah).  :(

for cheap jerry cans in Notts try Anchor surplus, near the cattle market and Notts County football ground. they do all army surplus things, jerry cans- rocket launchers etc

Right then. Judged by the fact that the only track I have been to is Curborough and I didnt even go for a spin, I dont have a clue about Track Days ???

Anyone got any top tips for the track day as am going to Mallory hopefully, or at least I have just sent the form off.

Also are you allowed to take a passenger on the track with you?

Guess I will be finding me a Jerry!!!

Cheers

Greg Penney

Before you go: -

· re-read the points to note at least a week in advance

· get an idea of what the flags all mean

· check all fluid levels

· check brake pads

· check gauges work properly

· check that your helmet complies

· arrange for a trailer or friend (in tin top or Westy) in case of bent metal

Take: -

·spare engine oil

·spare water

·spare fuel

·appropriate, minimal, socket set

·wheel change kit (or tyre weld and pliers - but the latter's just to get you home)

· if necessary, fill and take spare fuel cans

· wheel chock to avoid use of parking brake (I nicked this uncorroborrated tip from another thread)

· screen/visor cleaner (wetwipes?)

· whatever makes you feel comfortable in case of unclement weather (towel, wet weather gear/  change of clothes, hood, gazebo, 40ft mobile home with Jacuzzi, Cruise Liner)

· appropriate helmet

· funnel, if you're as cack-handed as me (is that how you spell "cack"?)

· a magazine to read (for group A only - the queue at the hairpin)

· money (I think they take CCs, though maybe not for the gojuice)

· AA card (just in case you wanted to be dumped with your freshly bent chassis outside on the main road - "Hello, is that the AA, I've just hit a pot hole")

· car

When there: -

· fill up from Service Station prior to entry (there's one not 500yds North of the main road junction leading to Mallory)

· tape over the speedo

· cross tape lights

· in the absence of a limiter or in the presence of a dual driver, tape a redline on the tacho

anything else?

Peter,

V8 guys survive with several Jerry Cans of Optimax in the boot of there road car driven by the missus  :D

I got my steel (and very good) Jerry cans from Machine Mart - there's usually one in most major towns.  Cost was about £15 + VAT each - I'm really happy with them.

PS, Don't forget to buy the flexible plastic spout too - it's about another £3.  Highly recommended.

Jon

Unless you have a really trick valve in your tank dont fill it up over half full or you will dump fuel around Gerrards.

Some people report very low fuel consumption on the track, but I seem to always be following someone who is dumping it out the back.

Otherwise a great tips list. Perhaps we should make it into the Trackday FAQ ?

Peter,

Had a little time on my hands and have found your local Machine Mart store.  How good am I?  :p

st20_map.gif

Not only that but here's the 20 litre Jerry can I recommend (it's £12.95 + VAT = £15.22)

MM070510055CGR.jpg

Jon

Cheers John but...

Yesterday, I arranged with a mate of mine who's going to meet me at Mallory. He's going to get a 20l Jerry (at the same price as MM), fill it up and deliver it to the track. This will save me stinking of fuel by the time I arrive.

Bizarrely, I can see the store you mapped from where I'm sitting.

I thought of another tip. It would be nice to put more faces to names, so I for one am going to tape my name on the side of my car (as opposed to across the top of the windscreen). I know I'll be embarrassed by being the only one who does this, but I never gave a **** about being sensitive anyway.  :D

I'll be taking still and video on the day if that sways anyone to stick their moniker somewhere on their GRP (i.e. I'm going to make the media available free gratis as soon after the event as possible).

One more thing for those who'll be bringing their own fuel. At Mallroy, the paddock entrance/exit is closed when the track is in use (for obvious reasons, I hope). So, unless your timing is perfect/you like rushing around (the time between sessions will expire quickly) it may be difficult to get in and out for refuelling the jerry other than lunchtime. If that affects you, you could get a mate to park in the spectator's car park and walk the jerry across the bridge.

ACW,

thanks for the tip regarding the fuel and Gerrards, last time out at Mallory I was definitely tanked up and didn't notice this (but then again, I wouldn't, would I).

Oh, and feel free to cut and paste for a FAQ.