Build Questions, Random Selection

Doug Dastardly

Hi All,

Needing a few pointers again. :durr:

1) WF advise earthing the heated screen to the hoop behind the dash, but I was wondering if It would be suitable to use a M4 bolt that I used to bolt down the tunnel top panels? They are fixed into steel rivnuts, but obviously would have a aluminium panel between.

2) As a general rule are there problems with mixing alloy rivnuts with steel or stainless steel bolts?

3) After IVA I want to swap the front indicators on the nose for the blade type which just stick on, so any ideas on how I could fit the IVA friendly ones without drilling too many or too big holes.

4) How much velcro and where exactly do I use it to fit the crash pad over the dash?

5) I notice some people get a pre IVA MOT, is this compulsory? My local mechanic (who's built a Gardner Douglas) is going to check basic wheel alignment, emmissions, lights and brakes for me anyway.

6) The back of my windscreen looks a bit messy where I've filled the gap with silicon, any ideas for covering this while not obstructing the vents?

Thanks for any answers to any or all of these questions. Much appreciated.

Doug

Hi All,

Needing a few pointers again. :durr:

1) WF advise earthing the heated screen to the hoop behind the dash, but I was wondering if It would be suitable to use a M4 bolt that I used to bolt down the tunnel top panels? They are fixed into steel rivnuts, but obviously would have a aluminium panel between.

2) As a general rule are there problems with mixing alloy rivnuts with steel or stainless steel bolts?

3) After IVA I want to swap the front indicators on the nose for the blade type which just stick on, so any ideas on how I could fit the IVA friendly ones without drilling too many or too big holes.

4) How much velcro and where exactly do I use it to fit the crash pad over the dash?

5) I notice some people get a pre IVA MOT, is this compulsory? My local mechanic (who's built a Gardner Douglas) is going to check basic wheel alignment, emmissions, lights and brakes for me anyway.

6) The back of my windscreen looks a bit messy where I've filled the gap with silicon, any ideas for covering this while not obstructing the vents?

Thanks for any answers to any or all of these questions. Much appreciated.

Doug

hi dug put in for your iva as soon as possible i have now being waiting NINE weeks and thats through westfield

Nine weeks??

I sent my papers in on a Friday, money taken the following Monday, appointment made the following week and test a week later. All done in less than 4 weeks

IVA to my experience was quite quickly organised. You apply and usually get a phone call to pay withing 10 days. I wouldn't apply until I was 99% ready. 9 weeks is a long time to wait, why through Westfield are they delaying things.

Bob

Hi Doug, to get you started :)

1. Shouldn't be a problem

2. Zinc plated steel fasteners are fine with aluminium but IMO I would avoid mixing stainless steel with either zinc or aluminium as it's at the opposite end of the galvanic series.

3. Fit the small indicators now and make some longer stalks for them.

4. Lots. Stick a length along the entire edge of the scuttle and the same on the crashpad

5.Not compolsury but cheeper than an IVA fail. It's a good opportunity to road test the car, bed the brakes in and check the emissions.

6. Not sure.

Smokey Mow................not just for Mazda SDV's

Thanks all, epecially Smokey.

On the IVA thing I'll have to be 99.9% done as I couldn't cope with the pressure if I'm having to work a lot, and work's a bit unpredictable. Having said that, I'm going to try to take a long weekend this one and if everything goes well I don't see why I shouldn't be 99.8% done.

Thanks everyone :t-up:

Happy to help :t-up: I've got time on my hands again now Gary's finished his build :laugh:

Happy to help :t-up: I've got time on my hands again now Gary's finished his build :laugh:

Oi - enough of that! - Remember I tought you loads during my build ???:p

The MOT prior is a good opportunity to run the car a short distance. You can check the speedo calibration and self centering on the drive to/from. I had my brakes checked on the rollers, headlights aligned, emissions checked, and an overall look round the car above and underneath. Also the way the guy performed at the garage I took it to has convinced me that is where I will take it when it is MOT time for real, they were great.

• Like 1

On the Blade indicators, I fitted mine over the original Westy holes so should be able to cover whatever hole you need to make...

Dave

Thanks Dave, it was actually your post on your conversion that convinced me that was what I wanted to do with my indicators! :)

As I said my garage was going to check stuff anyway, but it sounds like it makes sense just to make it a MOT then I can drive it there, 10 miles each way. He's a good guy with a nice self built cobra.

Driving there will be a mixture of nerves and excitement I expect. :o

As I said my garage was going to check stuff anyway, but it sounds like it makes sense just to make it a MOT then I can drive it there, 10 miles each way. He's a good guy with a nice self built cobra.

Driving there will be a mixture of nerves and excitement I expect. :o

Remember Doug, you can't legally drive the pre IVA'd car anywhere apart from to the IVA test centre. Although you may want to put it through an "MOT", to have it checked prior to IVA, its not actually an official MOT booking because the car has never been registered for the road or insured for being on the road. If you want to get the MOT checks done (incidentally I did it with my build aswell and thought it was well worth while), borrow/hire a trailer for the morning rather than risk running the wrath of plod if you get caught.

I am also not sure you can drive it to the MOT but I do know you can booked an MOT using a chassis number only, I trailered mine. The most useful bit of the mock MOT was being able to look at the car from underneath, I found a couple of bits that needed a tidy.

I mailed VOSA to ask the question about an MOT before IVA.

Here is my e-mail:-

Good morning,

I hope you are able to assist with the following queries, I have searched the VOSA and DVLA websites but have been unable to find an answer.

I have constructed an amateur built kit car and will be presenting this for an IVA examination shortly.

Prior to this I have the car booked in at my local MOT testing station next week and I seek clarification that it is acceptable to drive the vehicle to this examination prior to the vehicle being IVA tested and registered.

I have already spoken with my insurers and they are able to provide suitable cover for this journey.

My understanding is that it is permissible to drive the unregistered vehicle to the IVA inspection. Is this correct? What happens if the car fails the inspection, is it ok to drive the vehicle home after the inspection?

Your assistance and clarification of the above would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

And here is the reply:-

Thank you for your email enquiry dated 6th March 2012 concerning the above.

An unregistered vehicle may be driven to a pre-booked MOT Test providing it is insured. Should the vehicle fail the test then it may be driven to a place

of repair and returned for a further pre-booked test.

Similarly should the vehicle fail the IVA then it may be driven to a place of repair and returned to a pre-booked IVA Retest

Details can be found on the DirectGov website http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_4022108 as below

Why you need an MOT certificate

It is generally an offence to use on a public road, a vehicle of testable age that doesn’t have a current test certificate, except when:

• taking it to a test station for an MOT test booked in advance
  • bringing it away from a test station after it has failed the MOT test, to a place of repair
  • taking it to a place, by previous arrangement, where problems that caused the vehicle to fail its MOT test, can be repaired
  • bringing it away from a place where the problems with the vehicle have been repaired

Even in the above circumstances you may still be prosecuted for driving an unroadworthy vehicle if it doesn’t comply with various regulations affecting its construction and use. Your car insurance may also be invalid.an be found on the DirectGov website as follows:-

I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards

All I did was print out the emails and take them with me when I drove to the MOT testing station in case plod stopped me

Thanks Guys,

I was speaking to my garage today about booking it in and had asked him if he knew, but he didn't.

Sounds like a pretty conclusive answer from Gary though.