Is It Knackered?

dombanks

The squeeze has done this to her tyre... It's a toyo that came on her Mazda 2 on the rear. Looks a bit like its the rim protector that's just been knocked off a bit. She did it this morning and the tyre hasn't gone down at all should we replace it?

6fb540bb.jpg

nah, it'll be fine - would pass an MoT no problem. Its the rim protector and is a sacrificial piece of rubber. You can't see canvas or other parts of the construction - I've done track days on much worse.

IMHO, yes, replace it. Sucks I know, but easier to replace the tyre and impossible to replace the squeeze. Once the sidewall ha been damaged, I would never fully trust it at speed. Just MHO, of course.

should be fine but would be sensible to replace it imho ,you wouldnt want anything on your concience

I can't believe anyone can make a judgement on a safety issue from a photo!

I think the problem is, Dom, that whilst the piece of rubber which has been torn off isn't "structural" the tyre as a whole has clearly had quite a blow. What you dont know and can't see is whether some damage has been done to the carcass of the tyre. Possibly not, but short of getting a tyre fitter to remove the tyre and re-fit you'll never know.

Hope you're keeping well, by the way.

impossible to replace the squeeze.

Not strictly true. If you look around hard enough you might even find a newer model. ;) ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If I squint I can see the fabric of the side wall ?

It's only money you know

would you let your wife drive around on it

i can see enough from that photo to say i wouldnt let bev drive around on it thats for sure

Best bet is to get it changed and ask an expert (probably not the tyre fitter) if the sidewall has been damaged. You may be able to see for yourself if you look closely at the inside of the wall.

Leave it and it will be fine if canvas/inner radial wiries not showing. I have similar issue but man at tyre centre said its ok as the tyre wall is not damaged and it has not bulged. just keep an eye on it

Terry

The tight arsed tyke

It was done at <2mph as she was manoeuvring on the drive where she lives and clipped this sort of curb/low level wall thing made of stone. Most of the marks you can see in the photo rubbed off with no actual damage to the wheel.

Apparently, she's admitted that the but was hanging off also she pulled it off.

No slits/scratches/tears to the side walls other than this chunk of rubber that sticks out. Seems a bit harsh to replace the tyre but it's her choice.

Pardon! :p

Safety_Ladder_In_Pool.jpg

• Like 1

Do you have a full sized spare? Swap the wheel, or the tyre if it's a steel wheel.

I'm sure your damaged one would do for emergencies. (But get it checked by tyre dealer too)