Detachable Wheel

CJspeedsport

Where do I start?!

I want to fit a detachable wheel. The current wheel I have is too big and my knee's and knuckles connect too much. Also, it strikes me that a detachable wheel is quite a good anti-theft mechanism if I go for a pub lunch!

How do I know what I've got and therefore what i need?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

talk to Playskool motorsport

Can you take a pic of what you've got with and without wheel?

Dave

First, determine your steering column type. There are both weld on and bolt on quick releases available of various qualities. (Plays Kool stuff is top quality, but other suppliers are available, blah blah blah...)

Next, determine your budget maximums. Realistically, you're looking at £300-400 all in for something decent.

Now, decide on a size. I would say most go for around 280mm, but some have gone to 260mm.

Once you've done that, life gets easier! Leather or suede? Flat or dished?

Still there? Good! Can you make Stoneleigh? Might be best to wait and see them all in situ in Westies on the stand before spending your readies!

Still there? Good! Can you make Stoneleigh? Might be best to wait and see them all in situ in Westies on the stand before spending your readies!

Good idea, my set up wasn't very expensive £120ish, I used the old boss and did a spot of drilling etc, looks and works ok if you can live with the lip behind the snap off boss, doesnt bother me...

Dave

• Like 1

Just as a bit of a side issue. Don't you lot with detachable wheels get fed up with having to take it off every time you park up? People walking round meets, race events etc carrying a steering wheel do look a bit silly! Apart from security, (how many Westfields have been stolen recently?) whats the point? I am 14 stone and 6ft tall and have no issues getting in and out of my car so there shirley isnt an issue getting in and out. I must admit I did consider one but thought I would rather spend my money on something a little more useful!

Edited by Lordbenny

Lordbenny

Take wheel off put it in footwell and use a bicycle combination lock to clamp to a chassis rail, if not got access to rail then roll bar, now you do not have to carry it around!

You dont have to take it off if you dont want to, just that you can if you want. Personally, I usually do, for security.

Those of us with narrow cars and, er, a wide chassis find it much easier to get in and out of the car with a detachable wheel. Also makes it much easier to work on anything in that area of the car if you need to. Don't find it at all a problem carrying it about, as I don't take the Westie out shopping or to go for long walks and leave it unattended and out of sight for hours. Plus in a purely male state of mind, it's quite cool in a show-off kind of way, does turn a few heads! As for security, well, better than nothing I suspect, but it will only stop the local thieving chavs out for a joy ride, not someone who really wants your Westie and will be prepared to tow it away, but as has been mentioned, they're rarely nicked anyway (thankfully).

• Like 1

Don't forget to put it on before driving off and never leave it just half on- upsets the cornering a bit.

Sounds silly but you need to check !!

As soon as my car is back I will take a photo of the wheel for advice! It looks like Playskool are going to be getting a fiar bit of business from me in the coming weeks...rollbars....wheels....harness....

Upgraditis isn't a chronic condition is it? Once I do what I currently want to do, it will go away right?

Medically you are doomed

Once caught there is no known antedote or cure

Get over it cos it is not going away :laugh:

• Like 2

Like others, I've used a motorbike chain with a combination lock on it; loop through a rear wheel spoke, up through RAC roll bar, through steering wheel and through the open visor of my crash helmet before going back down to the wheel. Helmet and steering wheel left on the drivers seat and fasten the tonneau cover over the top.

The cars been left all day like this at Oulton Park etc with no problem. Even parked overnight when touring in Wales.

It's not that you can't nick the car, just that it's much harder for a casual trouble maker.

I just bought a 280mm Momo team for £100 (Bit of a bargain as they retail at around £175) They're possibly the best wheel for our cars IMO especially as they are off-set which gives you a little more leg room. There's another on E-bay at the moment that needs snapping up!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Momo-Team-280mm-/140733380100?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20c45cf604#ht_500wt_1287

• Like 1