Exhaust Rubber Bobbin For Standard Westfield Silencer

kevip6

Man you have much to learn about Westy ownership. Make sure you get the number plate of a passing mondeo before you enter the world of Halfords.

Ha ha, the first part of that is so true

And to prove that, I have no idea what you mean by the second part!

Er, I'm assuming he means modern parts shops inability to look up a part number anymore. Instead they want to enter the registration number of your car into a computer and have it tell them the "right hand upper left lower jiggle valve" is part number xyz and it's on shelf 2, isle 3.

If you can't give them a reg number or VIN number they can't help. So if you know you need a Mondeo thermostat, just give em a Mondeo reg number, doesn't have to be your "Mondeo", otherwise known as a Westfield with an ex Mondeo engine!

FWIW, a few years ago, I was buying some bits from the local Ford dealers. Same routine. Gave them a reg number that would "do", when the service manager started laughing and wandered over. Asked me if it was for a kit car, what was I building etc. he then turned to the puzzled lad behind the counter and explained that I was reading the number plate off a picture on the wall behind him of the garage from years ago, that happened to have a Sierra in it!

aaaah I thought that might be the reason. I wouldn't know what car the original rubber bobbin would have come from though.

Maybe I should get a list together of all the cars that I might ever need parts from and start a picture catalogue of number plates from cars spotted on the road. It be be a more useful 'Find 50' for my little boy on car journeys :)

Surprisingly, Halfords have them!

I bought mine there but be aware that when I bought mine the threads were old Imperial Whitworth/UNC or somesuch but Halford's don't sell Imperial nuts! :bangshead:

Just a word about bobbins. I've seen many self built cars (caterhams) with the exhaust hanging from the bobbin, in other words it's been fitted upside down. The bracket should be below the exhaust with the bobbin between the exhaust bracket and the chassis bracket so the exhaust is pressing down on the bobbin.

I'm sure everyone here has them installed the correct way but just in case......

• Like 1