Exhaust Rubber Bobbin For Standard Westfield Silencer

kevip6

Hi,

Can't find it online and wasn't able to get through to Westfield. What size is the standard Westfield supplied exhaust mount bobbin?

I bought a mini one from ebay and it's about half the size of my one

Thanks

Kev

I found that one earlier but I wasn't sure of the sizes, that seems the closest to the size I'm expecting.

I'm home now so I will measure it :)

I was after a couple of bobbins a few weeks ago. I just walked into the nearest Kwik Fit and asked them.

Didn't charge me a penny :t-up:

Sounds like a bargain!

Mine is 33mm high and about 38mm wide by the looks.

Used to use Mini bobbins on the standard Westfield exhaust, but found them to be a bit of a consumable item. Always had a spare in the "in car" tool kit ready to swap when the old one broke. The key to getting a reasonable life out of them was to set them up so that there is minimal strain on the bobbin. This isn't helped by speed bumps frequently hitting the end of the bolt out of the bobbin and twisting round the exhaust hanger. The car now has a bigger, heavier and quieter silencer and a much bigger bobbin. So far no problems. Would recommend a larger bobbin than a mini one, even on a standard exhaust. Mini bobbins are also imperial thread, so finding the right nuts for them can be an issue.

Jen

Used to use Mini bobbins on the standard Westfield exhaust, but found them to be a bit of a consumable item. Always had a spare in the "in car" tool kit ready to swap when the old one broke. The key to getting a reasonable life out of them was to set them up so that there is minimal strain on the bobbin. This isn't helped by speed bumps frequently hitting the end of the bolt out of the bobbin and twisting round the exhaust hanger. The car now has a bigger, heavier and quieter silencer and a much bigger bobbin. So far no problems. Would recommend a larger bobbin than a mini one, even on a standard exhaust. Mini bobbins are also imperial thread, so finding the right nuts for them can be an issue.

Jen

The imperial size may have been true at one point but many motor factors now supply these with a metric thread and nuts to suit (certainly Halfords does). On the issue of quality, well that's down to supplier and application. Mine have been fitted for some time now with no issues. :t-up:

I use the square bobbins on mine - bought from Westfield but for some reason I seem to think they were from a Peugeot 406. I carry a spare too just in case the bobbin delaminates which it has done.

I've had a price back from Westfield of £5.70 + vat so if I can't get into a Halfords or similar I might just order a couple. At least I'll know they're the correct size.

Just ordered a couple from Raceline, who said that they now stock much better quality ones than the standard motorfactor bobbins, chap said they last much better.

• 2 weeks later...

have an imperial threaded one on mine, probably from a mini and the thread is 5/16 unf

Thanks, I have 4 now of slightly different sizes but all fit ok, it's amazing how hard they are to get hold of around my way. Tried 2 kwick fits, 3 motor factors and 2 halfords! No joy at any so they're all from e-bay