Loosing Weight

SteveD

Steve. Don't bother with slimfast or any fad diets, they don't work, any weight loss is usually temporary as you have seen. Also not eating enough calories the body goes into starvation mode which means it breaks down lean tissue such as muscle to fuel itself and becomes more energy efficient. Muscle is active tissue, in that it consumes energy so loss of muscle means your body requires less energy, you can see where this is going. You really are much better getting eating a well balanced diet. They key to weight loss is exercise. Why? because not only do you burn calories during exercise but it raises your metabolism which means your body needs more energy even when you are not exercising. Stick to cardio work outs. I recommend spinning, I burn of between 700-1000 calories in one hour.

cardio is that like slim fast

Here are some tips from me:

1. Don't get obsessed about your weight or how long it takes too lose it.

2. Don't eat less than 2000 calories

3. Have a good breakfast up to 500 calories, this kick starts your metabolism. Oats as you've said, some orange juice for simple carbs to kick start you.

4. Don't get overly obsessed with fat content in food, it all hype!

5. Get into an exercise programme at least 3 x 1 hour sessions per week.

6. Don't eat too much fruit. Everything in moderation, even too much fruit is bad for you. Bananas are high in calories, about 100 calories each.

7. Drink plenty of water, this really does help.

I have loads more. All from personal experience as well.

probably the only thing im not doing is drinking water

cardio is that like slim fast

Haha. Hoping your joking! I find also another benefit of going to the Gym that it really spurs you on to stick with the diet. I find if I cheat then I think that's 20minutes wasted on that treadmill. When I don't go it doesn;t seem to matter. Also if you do cheat, just move on and forget it otherwise it ends up with you ending eating sensibly. Actually its best not to think of it as a diet because that infers that it is temporary and really it is for life! Well balanced diet for health and the weight loss is a side effect that will happen, it doesn't matter if it is slow. Most weight loss over 2lbs per week is not fat loss, its muscle even bone, water, etc.

probably the only thing im not doing is drinking water

Its is very important to drink plenty of water especially during dieting, it does promote weight loss. the guidline is 8 glasses of water a day minimum and is higher for exercising and dieting. Also most people mistaken the signal for thirst for hunger. If you feel hungry have a glass or two of water. do you still feel hungry, possibly not.

adam i have not cheated at all sinse i started ,i agree it would feel as though im cheating myself if i did ,i know i could do more ie exercise etc but i find that hard due to time etc , i cant wait until lighter nights then i can go out on my bike ,oh and thats when the car is finished

Steve it must be hard with your job. I find going to classes at the Gym is good though. Miss a class and it is, where have you been! You work as a team in the class so you have to pull your weight and keep going etc. The prospect of losing face is a very powerful motivator.

P.S you not having lots of soft drinks, tea or coffee with milk and/or sugar. This can really add up through out the day. I remember talking to someone and I worked out they were consuming 500 calories in drinks per day!

P.P.S. Have a diabetes test done. Especially if you have symptoms like going to the loo a lot, feeling thirsty, tired, etc.

Can you cycle to work?

no becuase most days i have to go out for various reasons and then need my van

Agree with the comments about starvation Steve. Having been involved in weight loss programs on a professional basis (both as a pharmacist and a hypnotist) I'd agree with most of the advice above. The best way to lose weight depends on individual circumstances, but one or two key principles are common to almost all cases:

Lose it slowly - no more than 2lb per week.

Make permananent lifestyle changes.

Steve - if you want to call be about this drop me a PM.

Agree with the comments about starvation Steve. Having been involved in weight loss programs on a professional basis (both as a pharmacist and a hypnotist) I'd agree with most of the advice above. The best way to lose weight depends on individual circumstances, but one or two key principles are common to almost all cases:

Lose it slowly - no more than 2lb per week.

Make permananent lifestyle changes.

Steve - if you want to call be about this drop me a PM.

Can you hypnotise me to stop eating? :d

• Like 2

Can you hypnotise me to stop eating? :d

yeh but everytime you here the word food you will dance like a chicken :yes:

• Like 4

Steve

Kurt and Adam are right.

If your only eating 1000 cals a day thats part of the problem. Your body thinks its being starved so will hold on to the fat.

Its all about the amount and type of carbs your eating and the insulin response of your body. While your body has sugar to burn it will never burn fat.

Try and avoid anything thats high in sugar or turns to sugar in your body eg potatoes. Cut out bread, alcohol and cut out Milk if you can.Oh and watch out for some of the so called healthy breakfast cerials as they are high in sugar. I have a diet sheet somewhere that shows the suger content of many foods, ill see if i can find it.

Look more for high sugar content than the fat content. Start the day with a big breakfast thats high in protein.eg good quality sausages & eggs with Spinach etc etc the oats are ok but see if you stomach them mixed with water rather than milk ( to start with anyway). Have a snack mid morning, again, have chicken or something similar and then again at lunchtime etc etc.

Drink as much water as you can. This is difficult at first and you will be p******** like a horse but it does work.

Basically if it doesnt fly, walk, swim or isnt green, dont eat it..

Mark