Turning A Perfectly Good Zetec Into A Firebreathing S2000 Build Thread

Speed Freak

8-9 bar when hot sounds pretty mental to me, surely it can't need that much?!

I know that the oil pressure is higher when cold. I cant tell you how high it goes from cold, as I wouldn't rev it high from cold.. but at tick over I get about 3times the pressure from cold. Still cant understand that the pressure doesn't increase after about 4000revs... S2k forum quote that over 100psi is normal- so my 4bar isn't enough. it was higher, that's what I don't understand-

From RED themselves:

"The pressure must be set at 100psi when cold, the engine must then be run up to temperature, 80 degs, the oil pressure needs to be 80psi @ 8000RPM, adjust the relief valve until this figure is reached. "

Have you done this?

hummm- 80psi is 5.5bar. I cant get more than 4ish.... I don't know what temp the oil was at, but it was hot- coolant was at 90+degrees.

When you say, set at 100psi when cold-what revs are we talking about? cant be at idle...

Well you wouldn't be revving to 8k if it were cold.

The 100psi cold at idle is to get a safe level, let the oil warm, then set to match 80psi at 8k, that's the important bit.

yeh that's what I thought- But no matter how I adjust the valve-I cant get 5+bar at any revs. I screwed the valve pretty much as far in as possible to see how much pressure I could get-but I just ended up getting 4bar at about 2000revs,and no more afterwards. it all seems a bit fishy.

I might change the oil filter, and hope that its down to the oil not flowing properly.... (the sender-take off is in the remote filter).

alternatively- hopefully its the vdo gauge, as thatd be the cheapest fix.....

don't fancy having to send the pump back to uk, and get r.e.d to take it apart, and sort valve-$$$$$$$

What oil are you running? Surely the oil grade makes a difference to pressure since the viscosity will vary?

yeh.

I read up a lot on what oils to use-as many people say different things.. I went with fully synthetic 0w30 in the end, as it was most recommended for the s2000.

opinions varied from 0w30 up to 10w40

but steve Im only getting 60psi max albeit when warm---- (4.2bar). people are quoting much higher numbers.... is this really ok-? Im sure that when cold I can get a lot more pressure-but 100psi at idle, (quoting what thos said, to set at safe level) I doubt.

tim why read what oil people use , its all pie in the sky , just use what honda recomend ,but a decent oil

yeh I did that too. it says 0w30 or 5w30. using Castrol edge fully syn.-seemed to have good reviews on forums.

What value is the VDO sender? Maybe only a 5 bar one fitted?

no its a 10bar one- I bought a new sender and gauge specially, as the old ones were 0-5bar.

what pressure do you get on your k20 at high revs (when warm) del?

(the sender-take off is in the remote filter).

Senders for oil pressure need to be located directly into the main oil gallery within the engine to read correctly. Further to this any take offs in the system will reduce pressure from 'standard' including oil filters and oil/air coolers.

HTH

Its well known that the 2 stage scavenge RED use cannot get the oil back to the tank quick enough when the vtec opens, thats why you have to run such ridiculous high pressures. I run an Aviad 3 stage scavenge and it runs at 75psi all day long.