Turning A Perfectly Good Zetec Into A Firebreathing S2000 Build Thread

Speed Freak

G3 is excellent, though quite aggressive - ideal for removing wet sanding marks from around 1500 grit or finer. (IIRC it can take out 1200, but I've not had as much success with that).

G3 is quite an "old" product now though, some of the newer compunds are even better, though maybe not quite as aggressive in cutting power.(They're also less messy)

Unless I've actually been wet sanding marks out, I tend to use Menzerna fast Gloss (a course compound, though less so than G3), followed by Menzerna Final Finish (a fine cutting compound), then I'll wax the car etc.

I normally do mine all over with the machine polisher, once a year, at about this time - pre Stoneleigh, to get rid of the years worth of fine marks and things. The bodywork comes up a treat.

Might give the 3M machine compounds a try at some point, they're usually highly rated too.

3m fast cut plus is the one, I got some after my bucket of G3 run out last year and its loads better, doesnt go milky and splatter everywhere like G3 did, I find it shines up better too, finish off with a finer compound and a softer pad ,  they do a few different polishes for this application all good. :t-up:

It's the wet application I hate with G3. Will give the 3M a go, think I'm running low on the Menz course stuff, so will try ordering the 3M this time round!

ye thats the stuff its spot on,I just use with a polisher but It will work by hand , its  not water based and I find a little bit goes a very long way . have to say after using G3 for 25 years I was sceptical but I wont be going back  :d

just seen the circular pads you can get from 3m- they've got the Velcro backs -can I use my circular wood sanding machine with it then, as I don't have a polisher- can only assume the movement/principle is the same?

• 3 weeks later...

just fitted my carbon side panels, and thought Id be set for the coming season when.......-

the bl00dy dry sump pump is playing up. :(

went for a drive and Ive been told by mike at r.e.d that  should have approx. 1bar for each 1000revs (but maybe a bit more at tickover) which I did have last time I drove it before the winter....

Upto 4000revs I get consistent readings- nearly 2 bar at 1000revs and just over 4bar at 4000revs-but after that the pressure doesn't increase!!!! I only went upto 6000revs and the needle was reading a fraction over 4 bar-didnt want to push it much further incase of the dreaded bang-

Ive tried adjusting the valve on the pump, and it seemed to change the oil pressure but only at low revs-ie I got 4bar at 2000revs, but still didn't get any more at higher revs....

Not sure if a) the valve is knackered on the pump, or b, my vdo clock/sender is knackered.

anyone else had experience with dry sump pumps, and can recommend anything? Im thinking of getting hold of or borrowing an oil pressure tester, and plugging into the engine direct, to perhaps rule out the vdo- Surely the fact that the vdo registers pressure and alters according to revs, means that there isn't likely an issue there???

going to go and cry in the corner now :cry: -

how much oil pressure do you want

28-38 @  idle is fine 75-80 @ 4 k is fine thats all you will get from cold but when it warms up it will drop to around 15-18psi on tickover when warm it does not keep going up to infinity and beyond the more you rev the fecka

• Like 1

your oil pressure should be at its max at about 4-4.5k

just been googling the s2000 website, and there claiming max pressure should be 125psi @5000revs so youre pretty bang on with the revs steve... Only This would mean I need about 8-9bar... Im getting hardly over 4, whatever I do with the valve.... Guess Im going to have to check the true pressure to rule out vdo, and if its not that, will have to send the pump back for servicing :cry: $$$$$$

god help me-