Turning A Perfectly Good Zetec Into A Firebreathing S2000 Build Thread

Speed Freak

well I know its not real-time, as weve established already that Ive been a bit lazy on the picture/thread-front...

But as promised I'll get the ball rolling.....

Chapter 1)

Once upon a time there was a perfectly good westfield running an outstanding 1800 zetec on throttlebodies

westy2.jpg

Everybody told the new owner (Mr Wolf) that it was a great car, and to leave it as it is.....

But the perfectly good car wasnt enough for the greedy wolf, who decided he wanted a firebreathing engine, that would burn down little piggys house....

so off he went in search of his firebreathing engine.....

find number one was an xe engine, all the trimmings-but after speaking to the wolfs german relations he found out that the law stated no little piggys houses are allowed to be burned down by xe motors.... :down:

so on and on and on the search went, ............................................................

until one day----------

hallelujah he found exactly what he needed :d so he packed the firebreather into his car and off he went..

P1000598800x600.jpg

Mr Wolf had a very tight schedule as the piggy was planning to go away soon. so off he went to get some advice on how to get the firebreathing monster installed into his perfectly good car....

after numerous questions to numerous people, mr wolf managed to find 3 people in particular who offered him nearly all the information he could ever need mr badger (aka mic cooper), mr fox (aka mark james), and Herr mole (aka ralf from german p.o.w camp :oops: ).

Loaded with all this information, Mr Wolf set off on an unbelievable journey.

Chapter 2

Mr Wolf now had his firebreathing engine, so he thought it only fit, to get some reading in, and start to understand exactly how it all works....

So he sat himself down, and very impatiently tried to study diagrams as quick as he could, in order to get things finished as quick as possible...

Diagram27.jpg

evap.jpg

Very quickly, Mr Wolf realised that he might have underestimated the size of this project..... :oops:

As he realised he had absolutely no knowledge of wiring, and very little of engines. So he thought hed start with his strength and look at the engine first :blush:

So he took some pictures of hoses and pipes and set about trying to find out what does what...

4bmp.jpg

3bmp.jpg

2bmp.jpg

1bmp.jpg

after annoying practically everyone Mr Wolf ever knew, he finally found out all the information he needed to move onto the next job..

have you been drinking , pigs fox badger

Chapter 3

Now that Mr Wolf had a little understanding of what is what, is was time to sell off the perfectly good 1800 zetec and make room for the new firebreathing s2000 engine.

Mr Wolf wanted to get rid of the engine as soon as possible so he offered it for a very reasonable price ;) ,

and before he knew it, it was sold! :laugh: This made Mr Wolf very happy,as storing the engine would have taken up valuable space in his not so spacious garage.

It then dawned on Mr Wolf that in order to sell the engine, he had to take it out first!!!! :(

this is something hes never done before, and he wasnt looking forward to it.

luckily for Mr Wolf the new buyer Mr Beaver (aka shindha) wanted to help him take the engine out so he knows what goes where when he comes to install it.

This was a nice saftey net for Mr Wolf as the new buyer had more experience with engines than he did.

After a long days work the engine was out... Mr Wolf (aka tim richards), Mr Beaver, and his son Mr Beaver Jnr were all shattered, but the engine and gearbox was out!!!

They were such nice people that they even offered to help Mr Wolf lift his new gearbox from his firebreathing engine into position :-

P1000624600x800.jpg

Can't wait for the part where the Big Bad Bank Manager huffs and puffs and tries to blow your garage down.

Chapter 4

Can't wait for the part where the Big Bad Bank Manager huffs and puffs and tries to blow your garage down.

Up until now Mrs Wolf had been very understanding :t-up: .... But when she realised the extent of the project, and the time necessary to complete it- Her unhappiness was clear to see. :angry:

Mr Wolf woke up the next day, and realised that lots of parts were going to be needed to complete the install. Worrying that waiting times may apply, he started to make a list.....

To Buy List;

1x LSD

1x Slim line Seats (as Mr Wolf had eaten too many Piggys over the past few months)

1x Dry sump kit

1x Dry sump Tank

1x Oil Cooler

1x vdo oil pressure gauge 0-10 bar (as his new pump runs over his current 0-5 bar capacity)

1x Remote oil filter

2x Gearbox mounting Bobbins

2x Heavy Duty Engine mounting bobbins

1x v8 bonnet as the firebreathing engine needs more room to draw in air!

5x New wheels, because Mr Wolf wants to look bling. :cool:

And so, with a starting list, Mr Wolf set off on his travels to get some parts.....

• 3 months later...

right then..... latest on the project!!!

mr Wolf and the rest of the clan have all been wiped out by global warming, so youll all just have to put up with me im afraid! :p

im feeling in a bit of a lazy/knackered mood, so I figure pictures can tell a thousand words, meaning I wont have to! :t-up:

just at the finishing stages now- got o fit the struts on the rear roll bar, and thats about it really... heres some pics of the car this morning, and then after todays effort.-

P10009542.jpg

P10009582.jpg

and now:-

P1000961.jpg

P1000962.jpg

figured Id write a list of whats been changed...

engine and gearbox, from 1800 zetec, to honda f20c

new exhaust manifold from jp exhausts, and 7" silencer from techcraft with inbuilt cat

dash now carbon (many thanks mick!) (S*** that reminds me I havent fitted the kick strips yet!)

switches now savage red led

gear lever and handbrake gator, to red stitching

honda wiring all from donar vehicle, and so using standard honda ecu, with immobilser aswell.

cycle wings, playskool

remade the panels near bulkhead, and end of tunnel out of a composite, and then wrapped in 3d vinyl.

new fuse boxes.

new boot box black from playskool

new team dynamics 1.2 with redstripe- pic to come..

3.92 viscous lsd

fuel lines now on other side of car, and inside the passenger tunnel, as opposed to underneath car.

other than that just bits and bobs I think.-

new seats from jk

bought used westfield front lights with euro spec

what do you guys think?

fuel lines now on other side of car, and inside the passenger tunnel, as opposed to underneath car.

I've just moved my fuel line from the tunnel to the lower rail to stop fuel vapourisation.

Hi Tim, all looks good the engine looks snug and the dash looks bright. Glad you are nearly done, or are you? you know all about upgraditus.............

That looks really neat, I'm so pleased you've got it all done given how complicated the TUV (think I'm right in saying that, I follow so many build threads) made it.

thanks guys.

I did have a guy to help with the electrics somewhat-but he turned out to be so unreliable (came sometimes when he said he would, only a few hours later-sometimes he never turned up at all!), so I just got on with it myself. trimmed the whole loom back to the right lengths, and tried to get the wires running in the right direction as best as I could- then re soldered them/heat shrinked, and insulated.

he was a help tho when It came to wiring up the new switches-as there isnt simply one switch for each of the old switches... lights are 3 seperate ones (side, main, high beam)..

im sure Im going to get some stick for what Im about to say, but........

Ive enjoyed this experience so much, that Im considering doing it again! I may not be a fully qualified mechanic, or have my own workshop, but I sure as hell now know how to convert a westy to an s2000 powered one! It was a great learning curve, and never before have I had the drive to sit and read so much literature!

luckily over here (germany) westys are worth quite a bit more than in uk, so it warrents to sell the car- and as emissions are such an issue, tuning is not easy to do (if you want to pass!), thusfore the s2000 engine is the daddy over here, with its 240hp (supposedly) standard... plenty of power for the most.so seven style cars are worth good money here-(if running standard ecu etc)

Should I be able to sell the car for what I believe it to be worth (been looking around at other cars), then I'll be onto my next project straight away.

A big thank you goes out to all those you spent the time to help and explain things to me-without it all, this project would have never taken place- and I would have missed out on one of my best achievements to date-so thank you all :t-up: