Carbon Fibre Flarred Sides

adamnreeves

really makes the car look the dogs danglys chap

honestly think the bonnet will make the car look odd from others I have seen - hope to be proved wrong as I have not seen one with carbon sides too :-)

really makes the car look the dogs danglys chap

honestly think the bonnet will make the car look odd from others I have seen - hope to be proved wrong as I have not seen one with carbon sides too :-)

I am not 100% sure myself actually. I'll have to photoshop it to see. The bonnet is damaged and needs repairing and spraying or replacing.

Adam

I have some to fit. Did you have the lugs on the old sides that locate the bonnet ?

I am not sure whether to cut them out and re use.

Also could you let me have a photo of the bonnet catch bracket

Many thanks

Paul

Paul,

I had bonnet locks on before so I kept them. Friend of mine has the lugs which to be honest I think work better. I only installed the locks to ensure IVA pass.

IMG_0148s.JPG

Looks brilliant Adam. Really wanted some for mine but the tub I bought was a bit too damaged near the scuttle area and the sides were a bit too short for mine.

Hope to see it in the flesh this year.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I've just today finishing relocating parts of the loom. Removed uncessary cables to side repeaters, no longer installed on the side of tub, etc Removed lots of heat matting that I had used to protect this wiring no longer used. I reckon overall I have shed 5kgs of weight which isn't too shabby. But the main reason is venting heat of the the engine bay. Looking forward to see the results of this and my front and rear ARBs so you will see me this year I suspect on a number of occasions :)

• 8 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but Im thinking about fitting carbon side panels... just wondered how to go about fitting the "lugs".... Do you/can you buy new ones, or do you somehow reuse the ones off the old grp?

How do you best fit them to the carbon fibre?

I cut the carbon fibre around the lugs.

I did put an extra couple of pop rivets in to keep them in place

if you overlap the carbon and grp (so that you cant see into the engine bay from the side too easily, do you then fit some sort of spacers along the top chassis rail inorder for it to sit flush?

• Like 1

i put some stick on foam strip onto the chasis rail to sort the height difference out. Also put a washer between the chassis rail and the CF where I rivnutted the fixings. Hope that makes sense.

cheers for that.. any idea what size the rivnuts are as standard...? Im assuming I drill the old ones out like a pop rivet?

P10100893.jpg

you will need to drill out the old rivets and install the rivnuts, IIRC i used M6 rivnuts with dome headed hex bolts