Mega Blade In The Morning! Things To Check?

Dave the Sparky

Smigga - I live about a million miles from where most of the available Westies tend to be (well, it feels like a million miles sometimes). Folks up here are resigned to travelling for the car that best suits their requirements - my first car was 450 miles away and my current one 550.

What it means is that you really have to do your homework first - know the basic spec you're after and accept that it'll be a challenge to get exactly what you want - upgrade-itis starts as soon as you buy one anyway. Almost everyone that has a Westie to sell is going to be more than happy to talk about it to you, send numerous pics and answer anything you can think of.

This forum is a brilliant way of finding if a PO has had any problems, questions about or made mods to the car during their ownership. It's also the best way to ensure you've asked all your (seemingly) daft questions about Westies in general (if you can't find it in the archives) before you go to view any.

If you do your homework thoroughly, I've found it easy to very quickly decide if a car is for you or not, almost as soon as you see it. That's the way it's worked out for me anyway - maybe I was just lucky.

Hope my ramblings help, good luck in your search and hurry up and buy one!

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks Matt, I too have travelled far and wide, by plane for my last car and would do again, this car is the first to jump out at me and make me want it at any cost, it is indeed over my set budget, but it ticks many boxes..being local is an added bonus!

It has many of the features I was after, I have been pushing myself towards cars I didnt really fancy because they were in budget etc.

I am returning for a test drive on Saturday. I know its the first Ive viewed but I do pride myself on doing a fair bit of research and asking MANY daft questions as you say. I aslo work for myself meeting many people and am usually a good judge of character.

The big negative for me was the really low seating position, so armed with a few dust sheets to sit on I am going to have a fettle with the gears on Saturday.

You mention upgrade-itis and I am terrible for this, I already have plans hatching as we speak :d

Anyway well see, be good to get someting back in the garage before the kids take over, and the daily hunt usually starting before work is starting to get to me!

As I say watch this space..

Smigga

Hello mate, I have had a BEC powered MK INDY (with an R1 engine in it) and it did take some getting used to but you will..........

Gears are odd but once you are used to them it is soooooooo gooooood :d :d :d

When it changes gear it will clunk like an old tractor - they all do that.

On your test drive you'll stall 1000 times, don't worry about it - with no-one else in the car you'll get used to the clutch and when you do you'll fell like a driving god.

It's good that its not perfect and there are things you'd change - spannering is half the fun/point!

I took a big leap buying my first megablade.....never looked back, one of my best car decisions ever :yes:

second that, to many anti-BEC guys on here

That seems harsh?

I know there is a an awful lot of ribbing between CEC owners and BEC owners, but I'd always been under the impression it went fairly equally both ways! :d

There's an awfully lot of scarily well developed BECs on here, and plenty in the Speed Series doing lots of winning. The one thing we all have in common here is being Petrolheads, so I'd like to hope that we can all appreciate different flavours of car; of course, that doesn't mean we all enjoy the same thing, but that's just human nature.

Personally, and I know it's selfish, I've quite enjoyed it, (sorry guys :down:) since the XTR forum went away, 'cause its been great seeing them on these forums and to read more about their fascinating cars. Likewise, I love reading about the XI's, (I don't fit :blush: so would never own one), but love to read about them and their owners experiences.

Equally I love reading about the BECs, FBB's rebuild thread at the moment is really interesting, it would be a real, real shame to see BEC owners departing our shores and the Boardroom would be poorer for it.

I'm sorry if maybe you have been the target for some crap that's gone beyond humour? But if your passionate about your choice of car, stick up for it, defend it, and give us poor heavy anchor engine CEC owners an idea what we're missing ;):d

• Like 1

I know there is a an awful lot of ribbing between CEC owners and BEC owners, but I'd always been under the impression it went fairly equally both ways! :d

There's an awfully lot of scarily well developed BECs on here, and plenty in the Speed Series doing lots of winning. The one thing we all have in common here is being Petrolheads, so I'd like to hope that we can all appreciate different flavours of car; of course, that doesn't mean we all enjoy the same thing, but that's just human nature.

Personally, and I know it's selfish, I've quite enjoyed it, (sorry guys :down:) since the XTR forum went away, 'cause its been great seeing them on these forums and to read more about their fascinating cars. Likewise, I love reading about the XI's, (I don't fit :blush: so would never own one), but love to read about them and their owners experiences.

Equally I love reading about the BECs, FBB's rebuild thread at the moment is really interesting, it would be a real, real shame to see BEC owners departing our shores and the Boardroom would be poorer for it.

I'm sorry if maybe you have been the target for some crap that's gone beyond humour? But if your passionate about your choice of car, stick up for it, defend it, and give us poor heavy anchor engine CEC owners an idea what we're missing ;):d

"I have a dream..." Inspirational :t-up:

For what it's worth, and being fairly new to the forum, it seems like a nice even balance of opinion. Definitely a bit of banter as suggested, which is nice.

The Banter on here doesn't half cheer you up after a s***ty day sometimes. And there are those on the Boardroom who haven't so much as elevated banter to a whole new level, as much as they've distilled it to its purest, shortest, sharpest, tightest form. Sometimes, not even a word, just a single link. You know the sort of thing, you know it'll go to a picture, but dare you open it :laugh:

At the same time as the most skilful p**s take, there are peoe on here who will seriously move heaven and earth, and really put themselves out to help others.

You know what's funny though?

It's often the same people. They just don't shout about it.

Oops, edited cause I beat the swear filter

Well put Gadgetman.

As a very new owner I hope to make friends both sides of the bonnet, same common interest just different forms and flavours and surely we can appreciate each others tastes? Its nice to try different flavours and forms, like icecream and women :d

I want my car...... :cry:

Smigga