Mega Blade In The Morning! Things To Check?

Dave the Sparky

As above going to see a very smart looking Megablade 1st thing tomorrow it's come out of nowhere so unprepared, it's a 2001 with 12k on it as I say looks mint but don't know where to start, Ive bought and sold loads of cars over the years but this is unchartered territory...

Smigga

Good luck Smigga, can't really offer you any advice as I'm probably in the same position having never bought a Westy. I'd say take your time checking it out, ask loads of questions, make sure the paperwork is up to scratch and go with your instincts on the seller.

Buyers guide here too http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/46932-buyers-guide/

Is it the red one in Wirral you're looking at?

Yes it is, thanks, it looks tidy, it's the first local one I've seen. I was looking at older cars but have decided to up the anti a bit and get what I really fancy, are you interested too?

There's a few coming out of the garages early I presume due to lack for any real winter.

I am usually pretty good at judging car and owner, just know little about bike/cars...

Smigga

It looks really nice, you're right. No, I'm not interested because it's too far for me to travel. I'm in the south east and although I know people say that you should be prepared to travel for a nice car I tend to feel it put's you at a bit of a disadvantage when buying.

Lol I'm obviously NW I've bought my last 2 cars from Kent and South London! Beauty of the net, both bought without a viewing both turned out fantastic cars that I lost little on. Your lucky everything I've seen has been down your way, plenty round Essex too, I guess there'll be loads more soon. It's a little over priced to be honest IMO but well see, never been in a kit car so may hate it but I am a reluctant ex-biker so I feel I will like it...I'll let you know what it's like, hope it's dry!

Something tells me you're going to like it :d

Yeah let us know your thoughts. Can't believe you've seen cars down my way.. I've seen diddly squat!

I've been looking since October, what you after? Recon I know pretty much every kit on the net at the moment must check 3 times a day! Gives you a good picture of what to pay in the end and whats selling etc..

I've been looking since october too. I'm only looking at Westfields, although I've been watching a few MK's, Strikers and Dax out of interest but can't honestly say that they appeal.

My preference would be a zetec engine or bike engine but I'm fairly open minded. Here's to hoping that a few come up for sale soon.

I'm sure they will be unwrapped soon enough, good luck, very helpful chaps on here, off to bed try n get some sleep!

Smigga

It's a little over priced to be honest IMO but well see, never been in a kit car so may hate it but I am a reluctant ex-biker so I feel I will like it...I'll let you know what it's like, hope it's dry!

I am curious, with regards to the price comment, on what grounds do you reach that conclusion?

I have veiwed this one (3 times infact) and can confirm its put together well im new to the whole kitcar seen but have good mechanical knowledge.

Unfortuantly after a roadtest on the third visit im not sure a BEC is for me :cry: so going to see if i can find a CEC alternative.

The former owner Bansee was a member on here.

Link http://pistonheads.c...les/3475632.htm

Firstly can I apologise if I seemed quick to judge the price of the car and offended anyone. My opinion is purely based on watching the Internet daily over the last 3 months probably when prices are rock bottom and my judgement may be without true parity between cars.

Right the car, owner is a true petrol head, races the black porka that's in the pictures with some success it appears, very honest thorough description of the car from him. It looked to me as though it had never seen rain, all suspension joints etc looked untouched original paint. All brake lines were braided, discs front and back, new battery, gear indicator, full set of clocks/gauges, push start.

Good harnesses with receipt for £470, receipts for filters, oil, small consumables. Original build certificate and brochure present, it has had 8 owners, I'm sure this type of car can change hands quite frequently as do alot of sports cars.

It has nice carbon bits but the interior is pretty industrial, I would probably work on this. The drivers seat is fixed which I'd have to sort as I'm not exactly lanky but not a big deal, I'd make my own runners.

Bodywork is unmarked and still deep fresh red which I loved. On start up it ran exactly as I remember the last blade I rode to run.

It was a little smokey at first but it soon cleared, exhaust is like new and sounds superb!

I didn't expect to take it out as it had been raining all night but the owner offered a spin round the block, I did expect to spin!

I didn't drive as I wasn't insured but we had a good 30 min blast. The gears were clunky to engage but I'm told by a kit builder I know that most bike gears are, there were some noises and rattles from the exhaust but I'm sure they were normal.

I was amazed how well it handled in the wet, I have to admit to shutting my eyes on a couple of occasions lol it is a whole new experience with your A*** touching the floor! We did have a couple of opportunities to open it up and it stepped out in 3rd at one point, I was glad the owner new what he was doing. The buzz from passing 2 or 3 cars with ease with the roar of that exhaust inches from you was ALOT of fun!

To sum up, the car was as mint as an 11 year old car could be, the owner seemed genuine and honest, yes there's a few things I'd change and tweak to make things to my liking but I never expected luxury, I had that in my M3 and got bored with it even with 343bhp.

I'm going to try to arrange a test drive at the weekend, the gears do look a bit awkward but I'm sure I could adapt and I hated the seat being to low and back, I'm used to high vehicles but again with adjustment this could be addressed.

I'm sure there will be other similar maybe more pampered examples coming up in spring but I'm not sure I'm willing to let this one go to search for perfection after all is any car perfect in everyone's eyes?

Watch this space...

Smigga

• Like 1

I'm going to try to arrange a test drive at the weekend, the gears do look a bit awkward

the gears do take alittle getting used to so just take your time