Tyres ? Which Is Best?

Mufton

I just got 4 x toyo 888's gg185/60/14for £70 each inc vat delivered. It was an eBay listing at £76 each plus p&p bud I just called him direct and asked him for a price. Even came the next day

Yup, just got mines through. Same supplier by the sounds of it. Although they chickily tried to charge me VAT again, ebay ad said 70£ included VAT, they were nice enough to refund additional charge. But yeh, next day delivery, now to get them fitted on my nice shiney CXR-2s.. :yes:

Using R1R's now, though you're quite limited in Westfield friendly sizes, fortunately I was already on a 195/50 15 anyway, so a direct swap. I have to say for predominantly, er, fast road, specially in any of the weather conditions I've tried so far, which included getting a soaking over Christmas, they're absolutely fantastic. At least as much grip as the previous GG R888s on winter temperature dry roads. But on damp, much more confidence, and on wet, (bearing in mind I have no experience of pukka wets here, just comparing to R888s) they're leagues better. (The way they cut though standing water, lifting most of it into the air behind the car, is astonishing, and makes you look vaguely like an offshore powerboat at speed :blush:)

But if its very wet, your right elbow doesn't half get a good soaking if you haven't got half doors. However, that is part of the Westfield experience, I think. You either love it or hate it. But yes, the R1R is a cracking road tyre, for our type of cars.

Ah, the car had already gained a windscreen and side screens before I fitted them; I am going to try and make some mud flaps up though, (one of those jobs I've kept meaning to do anyway, just a bit more motivation now)

You want some swept wings Gadgetman, it's the future! ;):yes:

I don't think they'd suit the car as it stands, but if I built another, I would look at building a classic looking car, swept wings, chrome/polished aluminium and a traditional, (but not green - don't ask ;)), colour scheme, with classic pollished brightwork bezels to the instruments etc.

A048 or R888.

The reason? The only conditions they really don't like are standing water, when they aqua plane, and in my experience a normal tin top tyre on a Westfield will do exactly the same thing in the same conditions because the car doesn't have the weight to push the tyre through the water.

That said, the A021 does seem to get some rave reviews, but as has been said apparently over heats if really pushed.

Just bought Avon ZV3 after noticing this is what Westfield supply on their stock cars. Great price and look great. Have yet to try them In anger.

Be very careful, Caterham fit then as standard as well (they probably get a teriffic deal on them) and most owners throw them away ASAP, classic ditch finders, they suit a heavy tin top but not a Seven. This applies to most "ordinary" tyres, thats why most people replace them with softer tyres like Yoko's and Toyo's, they are simply the most cost effective upgrade you can buy

Edited by Paul D Turner