Track Days 2012..... Some Thoughts

Hammy

Teesside is a great informal track day, that could be run for members only for little cost.

Wort considering even if it is a cheep for lots of people

I'm posting as a trackday organiser, WSCC member and regular trackdayer here :blush:

Nick told me about his plans to aim for one recommended trackday a month a few days ago and I think it's a great way forward for getting more members on track and give us a chance to meet up.

There's a thread up for the March date at Oulton HERE and hopefully we will be able to get some discounts and deals off other organisers to give everyone plenty of chances to get out on track this year.

In terms of circuits, I enjoyed Cottesmore last year but I agree that the peppering that the cars got was not ideal, especially for some of the very tidy cars that are amongst our members. I do prefer proper circuits so for me the list of best options starts with Oulton, Cadwell, Rockingham, Donington (tricky with noise), Bedford (also noise sensitive), Anglesey and Croft, no doubt there will be others which hopefully we can get a visit to.

Guest Wile E. Coyote

Just to throw something into the melting pot, and I don't know how feasible this is, but what would be nice would be some form of block booking for garages as part of any club track day.

Perhaps some of the TDOs might be persuaded to include a garage allocation as part of the club package?

Glad to see a couple of dates already in for Oulton. :t-up:

The garage thing may well be doable although I'd be inclined to just go for maximum discount on the basic booking deal, if it's cheap enough in the first place then reserving a garage isn't so painful!

On our days we do try to group any clubs together on their reserved garages anyway.

Some great thoughts there , the option of an organised day every month is brilliant .

Why there are stones at ? i don't know , I did see bags of tiny stones in various places near the runways and the stuff thrown up all looked like tiny pea shingle - maybe the RAF use it for some reason ?

If/when I replace my screen I may look at making it easily detachable ( better without it on trackdays ) , with lots of tape Cotty would still then be worth a go

A lot of it is very fine debris that shotblasts the car, I think it's part of the high grip surfacing for the main runway and most of the non-runway sections are concrete rather than tarmac so that does tend to create dust when driven on or swept.

Ive booked Cadwell Sat 16th June with Open Track (Open pit lane) 105dB, £125 (Then to Newark show on the Sunday)

Up for Teesside Autodrome if anyone fancies it, as its only 10 miles away.

(I think you used to be able to just turn up for open pit lane "testing" twice a week, £45 per half day)

Teesside track is crap though, did it on one of my bikes for an afternoon, was enough....

Croft is a noise disaster, and usually expensive if open pit lane 105dB, last year was about £300 for a day...

On the to do lists :

Donnington (If 105dB)

Oulton Park.

Bob

105db days at Donington are very expensive. Some Westfields are OK there, it is good if you can twist silencer so it exits under car and take it easy past sound meter.

Mike