Road Trip to France

kirkyboy5

Put holes in the floor to let the water out, and if sat on plastic seats them too. Gaffer tape and tie wraps + sensible small tool kit, pliers, M10,m13,m17 spanner, screw drivers, some wire/fuses odd nut and bolts. Join a recovery company, i am AA and have been for about 10 years now. Map. credit card. Camera to record for an article in Westfield world. Done Le mans and other big evenys in a westy, got wet every time......just part of the trip

There was a chap Paul i think on here who made luggage racks for the braced roll bars, avatar has a red westy taken from the near side rear 3/4 view......i'll find him......

This arrangement on the back of my car worked well. Adapted an elasticated luggage net, by adding some press studs to fit onto the studs on the body work, and then made a shelf that bolted onto the spare wheel from a Mk1 Ford Focus dog guard. A waterproof sack and some straps and jobs a good 'un. Just watch the weight on the spare though - only light things like sleeping bags etc.

Carried 2 blokes, 2 tents, and all the gear for 3 to LeMans and back ( the other bloke took the plane)

Luggagerack-1.jpg

I like the dog guard idea.

Similar to how I transported my gear, but the rucksack was tucked between the RAC bar and bungeed down. Rear vision was not clever, but small sacrifices for such a good trip.

As long as the car is serviced and prepared properly, and you have a good breakdown policy, then go for it. If you get wet the so what. Its part of owning one of these cars. Jings, I had ice in my car this morning when I was out a blat round the Scottish hills caused driving through water which was frozen at the edges. It was coming under the sidescreens and over the back into the driving area. Its all part of the fun. Enjoy

Fraser

And don't forget the list of stuff you have to carry in your car in France. Bulbs, HiViz jackets and (from this Spring) a Breathalyser!

Info here: Autoexpress article

If you get wet the so what. Its part of owning one of these cars. Jings, I had ice in my car this morning when I was out a blat round the Scottish hills caused driving through water which was frozen at the edges. It was coming under the sidescreens and over the back into the driving area. Its all part of the fun. Enjoy

Fraser

Sounds like you need some Drynads - have a look in the For Sale section, I have a set left

I expect to get wet so im going out to buy some all in one motorbike waterproofs, might consider a helmet too!

Thanks for the fast replys also. Im looking to get most of these things suggested on here in the next few weeks. Im planning the trip for 25th of June 2012 or around that time so look out for me haha.

Were planning on a mixture of Motorway and A roads through England. Maybe cut through Worcester and down through oxford and join the M40 there. Then down M40, M25 etc to the ferry at dover. Then off at Calais and straight down the motorway to the Somme.

I hope I dont have any problems (cross fingers).

Anything else you guys can think of?

THanks lads

Dan

Two Westys did a Tour de France in 2010 and we wrote an artcle for the WW magazine, can't remember what month it was published, but latter half of 2010. We did Eurotunnel, not the cheapest, but the best way to go IMHO. I was alone so luggage went down the footwell but jak's car had a soft bag on the bootbox, bit like abbeya's picture. We stopped off in hotels, mostly from the Logis de France "chain" though they're all privately owned individual hotels.

We got soaked on the M20 - stopped a night at Ashford Travel-lodge - got a bit damp on our first day in France and had glorious sunshine after that, no hoods on either car. In fact one of my windscreen wipers fell off on way to Ashford, but this was useful in that I could wipe the inside of the screen with it.... :laugh:

How many cars are going Dan

I expect to get wet so im going out to buy some all in one motorbike waterproofs, might consider a helmet too!

Thanks for the fast replys also. Im looking to get most of these things suggested on here in the next few weeks. Im planning the trip for 25th of June 2012 or around that time so look out for me haha.

Were planning on a mixture of Motorway and A roads through England. Maybe cut through Worcester and down through oxford and join the M40 there. Then down M40, M25 etc to the ferry at dover. Then off at Calais and straight down the motorway to the Somme.

I hope I dont have any problems (cross fingers).

Anything else you guys can think of?

THanks lads

Dan

there is just the yellow peril going tony :)

Me and my old man are doing it as its something we've always dreamt of. Were crazy WW1 freaks and go to the Somme every-year. We've got this amazing dream of it on those lovely country roads :)

Tony by the way... what tyre pressures did you use when you had her? I cant find anywhere in the paperwork what PSI they usually have in them.

Dan

For helmet visor fogging can I recommend this:

Foggy Mask

Easy to put in and remove, and fairly confortable. Oh, and it works.

Doug

Knowing every nut and bolt of your car inside and out is the biggest confidence booster and helps when planning what tools and spares to take, so if you've built the car yourself or done a lot of work on it then you'll be in a good position.

I finished our Mazda SDV in June last year, and then by the end of August we were on a 2500 mile round trip to the south of France. Absolutely brilliant. The only technical problem was that the alternator belt failed on the M25 in torrential rain on the way home to West Wales. A new belt was the only spare part I took, as I found myself frequently adjusting the original before we left - hopefully a one-off failure but if anyone can recommend the best make of MX5 Mk1 belt I'd be interested.

Anyway, back to the touring - we took a selection of flat and cylindrical waterXXX bags made by Ortlieb and OverBoard, some strapped onto the boot lid using adjustable Rok straps, some inside the cabin, plus a small rucksack in the passenger footwell. Combined with the boot space that gave plenty enough luggage space for two on a 1.5 week holiday.

I have to say we did have the luxury(?) of a hood, and I'm glad we did in the Vosges mountains when we were hit by a shocking hail storm. Jagged golf ball sized hail shattered the gel coat on the bonnet and did some other minor damage, but no problem continuing with the rest of the holiday largely hood down with great weather.

Enjoy!