Securing Cycle Wings

Tom Frankland (T3OMF)

Just looking into options for securing the Cycle wings with out drilling holes in them, I have found the below and was thinking 4 on each wing

Stainless Steel Threaded Bush Bonding Fasteners

shop4fasteners_bonding_fastener_mild_threaded_bush_30mm_square_a2.jpg

But the only place I have found you have to buy 100

I only need 8 to 10, anyone know any where else please??

Try searching for 'big head bolts', a few places have them:

http://www.zipnorth.com/index.p....id=1183

I had those exact ones in my aeroscreen :)

I used round ones like those, but with a male thread from Bighead fasteners. I phoned them up and explained I only needed 8 off and they gave them to me FOC. I picked mine up as it was on the way home -ish, but they would have posted them to me too. Try calling them!

Westford

not needed just glue them on with a good quality sealent.

not needed just glue them on with a good quality sealent.

Very true, it's just that I knew that I would be changing mine after IVA

Try here.  This is what I'll be fitting my new set with.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been looking at this option - how would you fix these fasteners - buy one of their fibreglass repair kits?

I think bighead fastners do their own bonding kit/agent but you should be able to use any decent Polyurathane sealent ie the same stuff used to bond in windscreens on cars.

Regards,

I think bighead fastners do their own bonding kit/agent but you should be able to use any decent Polyurathane sealent ie the same stuff used to bond in windscreens on cars.

Regards,

Really - that makes it a bit easier then :yes:

I think bighead fastners do their own bonding kit/agent but you should be able to use any decent Polyurathane sealent ie the same stuff used to bond in windscreens on cars. Regards,
No No No ! The contact area is far to small for sealants , you should be using glass cloth and resin , even better use an epoxy resin with a woven glass tape , this way you can spread the load over a greater area .
  • Like 1

Obviously Pistonbrokes solution is the best, but im sure there are many of people on here that have used the polyurathane soloution. However there have also been reports of flying wings. So i guess its upto you and your skills as to which option you plunge for.

Link to Big head adhesives: http://www.bighead.co.uk/english/products/adhesives.asp

Regards

I have never worked with fibreglass before, but I am thinking If I buy a repair kit I will get all the bits I need. Has anybody done this method on there wings?

I used some no-more-nails tye glue to hold them in place for lining up... Then once it was dry, unbolted and layered 4 sheets of glass sheet about the size of a coaster over each one - careful not to get resin in the thread; might be worth putting a slave bolt in the thread before starting. Still going strong...

Sorry - i didn't intend to post anonomously above!

Btw, i used the M8 hex bolt big heads, not the tube type ones above - they were a bit cheaper.