drive shaft gaiters

predawson

I am building an SDV. I have sourced all the donor parts and spent hours overhauling them. I have encountered a road block in that I don't have any means of changing the drive shaft gaiters. I cannot source stretch boots that are small enough to work and the standard "fitted boots" can only be fitted by removing the drive shaft ends. This means cutting off the lobro joint cover to gain access. Problem is you can't source new lobro joint covers so cutting the old ones off is not an option. Please help!

There's a circlip on the end of the drivshaft that holds the joint to the shaft.  Prise that off and the joint will slip off.  Ive just bought some new gaitors from my local motor factors for £8 each, readily available.

I don't understand the problem.

Just remove the lock-clip that holds the CV-joint and pop off the joint with the metal "cover" intact (lobro joint if you like). Then remove the metal clip that holds the rubber boot, buy new ones, put them on and slip on the cv-joint, lock it in place, grease it up and then fasten the new rubber boot.

There are some pictures of this installation and the parts I had on my build on my website. I did have to buy those metal covers (dirt shield) from Westfield (Ford doesn't have them), but otherwise, no big problems.

Metal cover (dirt shield) on CV-joint:

bild%20001.jpg

Rubber boots on before both cv-joints are put in place:

bild%20002.jpg

Finished item:

bild%20006.jpg

There are more pics at http://www.kallerman.com/westfield under the entry dated "2003-10-04 & 05"

Doesn't yours look like mine? Should be very similar.

Mike

Just out of interest did you find the joints slip easily on one end of the driveshaft than the other?  I did, originally thought I'd got the wrong joints, tired it on the other end and went on fine.

Yes, on one end it was harder than the other, that is correct. Wasn't so hard, just banged it with a piece of 2x4 wood and it went on.

The metal covers were hard though to put on, diameterwise about 0,3mm smaller than the cv-joint outer diameter. That is why you see a hammer next to it in one of the pics up top. ;)

If you want to avoid the agro of disconnecting the driveshafts, a firm called Bailcast do split gaiters called StickyBoots.  I have used these dozens of times over the last 20+ years, never had one come loose or leak the grease out.

They have probably 20-30 sizes available and they all come as a complete kit with CV grease, glue,tie wraps and even gloves.  Cost is about £12 each.

Hi there

As you are using lobro joints i take it you are going for disks on the rear? does anyone have pics of how caliper mounts fit onto hub and rear uprights. Only referance to this in the build manual is to mount caliper to the front of upright. Sdv manual that is. I would like to go for disks on my sdv when i start to collect parts and donor car.

Thanks john

You need to tell the factory that you want rear discs when you place the order. The rear upright for disc brakes is different to the drum braked upright.

I would NOT modify a drum braked upright to accept discs and calipers..........

Hello there

It was when i looked in the sdv build supplement i found how to build rear uprights the supplement goes on to say if fitting rear disc brakes. Fit caliper and hub mounting plate to the upright as you would fit the back plate as on drum brakes but caliper mount must face forward of the upright. So i am a bit stumped now?

Thanks John.

:blush:

My mistake. I hadn't taken the SDV updated manual in to consideration. If there are instructions to be followed from the factory, then they should be correct.......

When building a SDV Westfield, Sierra drive shafts are used and the circlip is not accesible. I have now managed to find driver shaft "cans" that can only be removed by damaging them. They can be purchased from Ford dealers and I have the part number is anyone would like it.

Whilst on the subject...

I just put my driveshafts back together and just realised I forgot to put the gaskets in between the joint and stub axles.  Is this really important and will I get grease flying everywhere without them?  I really dont wanna take it apart again  :(

• 14 years later...

Old thread resurrection!

Can anyone point me to a supplier for CV gaiters that looks like those? I got generic sierra cones off Ebay, and they metal "cap" was too long, as was the boot itself so the ribs will rub as I drive and I don't expect it'll last five minutes...

Failing that the ford part number for the "cap" and boot would be ace.

Cheers.