Towing eye

SootySport

On most Tintops a Towing eye is part of the toolkit these days and necessary on trackdays, I've always fitted one on the departed Clio.  What about on Westfields? is any provision made for this or how can I fit one?

Never needed it yet.......  but I would get them to use the roll bar (Aero Screen Fitted)

Cleggy's fabricated an excellent solution too, there's a thread showing it from a while back; nice and strong, but also stands the hoop far enough from bodywork to minimise the risk of (further) damage from being towed and recovered after an off.

Plenty of ideas here, thanks lads, I'll look into all these ideas.

Looking at doing this over the winter, John kindly posted some pictures a little while ago of a very simple solution.

I'm planning on having a plate welded to the side of the front member, drillig a couple of holes and fixing one of these.

Towing Eye

If required I will use some spacers to lower it.

Is it a good idea to drill all the way through the chassis? I've always thought (probably wrongly) that its not good as it weakens the box section.

Looking at doing this over the winter, John kindly posted some pictures a little while ago of a very simple solution.

I'm planning on having a plate welded to the side of the front member, drillig a couple of holes and fixing one of these.

Towing Eye

If required I will use some spacers to lower it.

Is it a good idea to drill all the way through the chassis? I've always thought (probably wrongly) that its not good as it weakens the box section.

IMO I would never drill a hole through a chassis tube for a bolt unless I was then sleeving that hole and ideally also welding the sleeve within the hole.  

Alternatively I would do as you propose and either weld a plate or piece of steel angle to the side of the tube to give something to bolt to without compromising the strength of the chassis tubes.

• 2 months later...

My method was a bit over the top but it is a neat solution - the benefits were: less likely to get buried in the gravel trap and no damage to the nosecone when being towed - I also designed in conjunction the the ratchet mechanism on my trailer

However it was fairly time consuming to complete and adds a kg or two to the front of the car

As you have no doubt now researched there are far simpler ways of getting a towing eye fixed :)

My method was a bit over the top but ...... Gave me a chance to use my new welder :)

EFA :laugh: :laugh:

Having got the engine back together Saturday, got my new towing eye fitted today. As I can't weald I had to go for something a bit simpler than Cleggy.

Made small plate to clamp the towing eye to the chassis:

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

Hate to p**s on any bodies chips but with a towing eye beneath the nosecone be aware of the towing vehicle being higher than the Westfield and when taking up the strain the angle of the rope/strap can damage the nosecone.

Yes that was one of my concerns. Using this towing eye front of the ring is almost level with the bottom lip and lower, reckon I can get away with a towing angle of about 45' before is catches the nose cone.

that will do the job - you just need a nice "tow" sticker now :t-up: