Kugawestie's MX5 SDV Build Thread - Now An Upgrade Thread

KugaWestie

Well I am pleased to say that I now have a fully operational cooling fan, wired in on a brand new circuit with a switch in the radiator :d :d :d

• Like 1

Ah the joys of still having a polo rad - just bolt in a polo switch

Yes, it was an easy fix really Rick, once I knew how to make up the wiring circuit :t-up:

I had a day of work today to put some effort in, so ended up putting in a solid 10.5 hour shift.

Firstly I fitted some rivnuts for the bootbox.

SAM_0686.jpg

Then after lots of jiggling back and forth/side to side, I fitted the rollbar stays and bootbox, as well as the harness points. I fitted the fibreglass bootbox stay covers - still a bit of tidying up to do here, I think maybe some black silicone sealant to close it off.

SAM_0687.jpg

SAM_0688.jpg

SAM_0689.jpg

Then it was time to fit the carpets

SAM_0690.jpg

After stitching in the handbrake and gearlever gaiter, I fitted the rest of them

SAM_0691.jpg

Followed by seats and harnesses - I also gave the interior a clean up with some Meg's trim detailer

SAM_0692.jpg

I then fitted my Xmas present Westfield gearknoob (I have decided to take it to IVA like this) and matching handrake lever cover

SAM_0693.jpg

So, pre IVA MOT tomorrow morning, and she is ready to roll

SAM_0694.jpg

SAM_0695.jpg

We will see what the morning brings - hopefully dry weather :)

Well done, looking good and so very nearly there.

Godzilla is warming up for his happy dance...

Thanks guys :d

I am unsure the speedo is right - I put it up on axle stands and at 3500 revs in 5th gear it was reading 40mph :oops:

Also it smells rich, so I will be interested to see what the emissions are tomorrow

How are the IVA covers supposed to fit on the harnesses behind the seat - anyone got a photo?

Here you go, Gary,

Soooper job. Looking lovely!

IMGP1756-2.jpg

Gary,

For IVA, you'll need to cover the down pipe to silencer clamp to meet the radius criterion. I used some asbestos lookalike heat wrap, which I've since taken off. As it's doing nothing at the moment you're welcome to reuse and I've got a few stainless steel tie wraps to fit it with. If you'd like them, PM your address and I'll send.

Mooch - I have got some heat wrap for the exhaust, still a job to do. Thanks for the offer though :yes:

So the harness covers - cut a hole out on the underside for the eye bolt to pass through?

Mooch - I have got some heat wrap for the exhaust, still a job to do. Thanks for the offer though :yes:

So the harness covers - cut a hole out on the underside for the eye bolt to pass through?

Thats how i did mine.

Have you got a silencer heat shield still to fit as well?

Mine were already cut, but yes, that's the idea.

Ok thanks

Yes I have a silencer heat shield to fit as well - Is this an IVA requirement do you know?

Ok thanks

Yes I have a silencer heat shield to fit as well - Is this an IVA requirement do you know?

The heat shield isn't an IVA requirement, but you will fail IVA on the rear exhaust mounting bracket if you don't fit one.

You need to mount the heat shield so it overhangs the end of the the silencer body so there is no chance of the examiner being able to get his test sphere to the bracket or the U-clamp that is fixed to it.