Kugawestie's MX5 SDV Build Thread - Now An Upgrade Thread

KugaWestie

I had an almost identical issue with my MX5-Westy at first start up. Firstly I hadn't plugged the pipe for the old brake servo, then after capping that the car would run for a couple of seconds and die. Using the Rods manual and a multimeter I was able to test the resistance across the pins of the MAF and found it to be faulty. After fitting a 2nd hand MAF (about £30) all was good.

Right, been doing some checking this morning, using Rods manual.

Coil resistance check - all good.

ECU connectors removed and reinserted, no signs of corrosion.

Camshaft position sensor - cannot check it - special tools required

MAF sensor - all good.

Throttle Position Sensor - checked, no continuity, adjusted, all good now.

Lambda - not fitted yet.

Main Fuel Injection Relay - All good.

Fuel pump relay - all good.

Clutch switch - not fitted yet, so not checked

Neutral switch - all good

Purge Solenoid Valve is not fitted to the loom, error code 26 being thrown up on ECU. Should not stop the car starting?

Air Intake Control Valve - cant check as it needs to be around 20 degrees C

Fuel Injectors resistance - all good

I have looked over the inlet manifold, and cannot see any holes now that are sucking air.

Flick the key - still the same  :down:

In the 1-2 seconds it runs for, if I blip the throttle the revs will rise.

Try not to get down about it, while it can be difficult to walk away with a problem umsolved, viewing it with a fresh pair of eyes tomorrow might make a world of difference!

THIS.

The tales we can all relate to you of not being able to see the wood for the trees due to tiredness, frustration, exasperation and paranoia are legion.  You're in a marathon, not a sprint.  Remember alcohol is your friend.

Just to give you heart and assure you you're not alone:

Spot the moron :bangshead:  :D

Lol Captain.

I have a feeling when mine gets resolved it will be a moron moment!

It sounds like there is some thing obvious being missed.

Next up is checking earths on things like the ECU and stuff like that.

Do you have the LED to check the fault codes did you say?

It sounds like there is some thing obvious being missed.

Next up is checking earths on things like the ECU and stuff like that.

Do you have the LED to check the fault codes did you say?

Yes, it feels like it is either going to be something shamefully obvious, or it may be the 4 wires going to a 3 pin coil pack.....

Yes, made up the LED and checked for fault codes. Getting code 26, which is purge solenoid valve. The solenoid is missing from the loom

Just in case you haven't had it from the factory yet, you may be unaware that every Westfield kit comes with a free parrot.  This parrot is already trained to say the most common thing it hears during a build process.  Enjoy! :t-up:

The purge valve shouldn't matter, so have you reset the ECU, tried starting again and re-checked fault codes.

Going to the inlet manifold from the crank case you do have the one way valve in the section of pipe?

The injector seals where it fits into the manifold, are these still soft and in one piece? Not getting vacuum leak from there?

Did you say that the guys at auto link said the 3 pin coil packs shouldn't matter?

Did you say that the guys at auto link said the 3 pin coil packs shouldn't matter?

I'm not 100% convinced by the advice that Autolink gave, although TBH they probably know a lot more about MX5's than me  :blush:

I've already swaped a fair few messages with Gary which included the following links which suggest that a car supplied with 4-wire coils wont run on a 3-wire coil pack.

http://forum.miata.net/vb....+stalls

The purge valve shouldn't matter, so have you reset the ECU, tried starting again and re-checked fault codes.

Going to the inlet manifold from the crank case you do have the one way valve in the section of pipe?

The injector seals where it fits into the manifold, are these still soft and in one piece? Not getting vacuum leak from there?

I have the restrictor in the crankcase pipe - but it isn't one way is it? I thought it was just a restrictor/reducer?

Injector seals seem ok

Autolink said the 3 pin coil should not affect starting as the missing pin runs the rev counter. But looking at the wiring diagrams it also feeds back to the ECU - so not sure whether if the ECU does not get the signal, it shuts down fuel or something?

Resetting the ECU - negative lead off and press the brake pedal for 30 seconds? If so, I have done this and still just getting the same code

I have the restrictor in the crankcase pipe - but it isn't one way is it? I thought it was just a restrictor/reducer?

Rick's talking about the PCV valve which is pushed into the rubber grommet on the cam cover and links to the inlet manifold.  

IIRC they should rattle when you shake it if they are working correctly.

I'm not 100% convinced by the advice that Autolink gave, although TBH they probably know a lot more about MX5's than me  :blush:

I've already swaped a fair few messages with Gary which included the following links which suggest that a car supplied with 4-wire coils wont run on a 3-wire coil pack.

http://forum.miata.net/vb....+stalls

I am really starting to believe it is the coil pack Mark

Just in case you haven't had it from the factory yet, you may be unaware that every Westfield kit comes with a free parrot.  This parrot is already trained to say the most common thing it hears during a build process.  Enjoy! :t-up:

Captain, that parrot must be for another kit, not mine.

He aint saying it quick enough or often enough  :p

I decided to take advantage of the nice weather today, so had 18 holes of golf this morning, to forget about the car for a few hours  :D

I have taken the plunge and purchased a 4 pin coil pack as this may solve the engine problem  ???

So I have decided not to touch the engine/electrics anymore until I swap the coil pack over.

I found myself a little job to do tonight that is just some good prep for later on.

From this

Photobucket

To this  :D

Photobucket

Photobucket