Newbie after some advice

KugaWestie

I think I will probably break one - strip it over a weekend with the parts needed and then send the remains off to the scrappy. I reckon I could pick one up for around £500 from flea bay

Then a full engine strip down and rebuild - I am normally a haynes manual man, but the reviews are that the MX5 manual is poor, anyone recommend a good workshop manual?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KugaWestie

• Mark (smokey mow)

• TIG Brother

• CRAIGR

I think I will probably break one - strip it over a weekend with the parts needed and then send the remains off to the scrappy. I reckon I could pick one up for around £500 from flea bay

Then a full engine strip down and rebuild - I am normally a haynes manual man, but the reviews are that the MX5 manual is poor, anyone recommend a good workshop manual?

That's the cheeper way to do it have a read of Dom's donor dismantling thread  ;)

The best manual I've found to get is the Rod's Miata Workshop manual, available for both the 1.6 and 1.8.

http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/28

The steering wheels on the wrong side :D but apart from that, it's full of really useful technical bits for fault finding on the electrics and sensors etc.

Cheers

I dont intend breaking with finesse, just rape it and scrap the residue!

Thanks for the manual link, I will check it out.

Getting quite excited now, hoping to get up to the factory on Monday  :cool:

I only paid £420 for my MX5 donor on fleabay, which had been damaged at the rear upright in an accident.

It was in great nick and I sold off all the parts I didn't need: bonnet, bootlid, front wings, lights, interior for the same price as I paid for the entire car!

If you have a couple of mates helping, it would be possible to strip it all out over the course of a weekend (try to soak all the nuts & bolts the day before to make dismantling easier) but make sure you take lots of photos to help with the Westy build and label EVERY connection on the wiring loom as you'll be able to strip a lot of it out.

Good luck with the build

I only paid £420 for my MX5 donor on fleabay, which had been damaged at the rear upright in an accident.

It was in great nick and I sold off all the parts I didn't need: bonnet, bootlid, front wings, lights, interior for the same price as I paid for the entire car!

If you have a couple of mates helping, it would be possible to strip it all out over the course of a weekend (try to soak all the nuts & bolts the day before to make dismantling easier) but make sure you take lots of photos to help with the Westy build and label EVERY connection on the wiring loom as you'll be able to strip a lot of it out.

Good luck with the build

This is exactly what my plan of attack would be, me and my father to strip it over a couple of days, and salvage whatever is worth it to sell again.

How did you sell the bits off - fleabay?

Thanks for the tip with the loom, lots of sticky labels and whenever a wire is pulled, note it up.

I wondered what the strage flapping noise was; nothing to worry about, just the vultures circling  :p  :D

We are always interested in reasonably priced front wings and front/rear bumpers of Mk1 MX5's  :D

And the rest :p

Good luck with the build

This is exactly what my plan of attack would be, me and my father to strip it over a couple of days, and salvage whatever is worth it to sell again.

How did you sell the bits off - fleabay?

Thanks for the tip with the loom, lots of sticky labels and whenever a wire is pulled, note it up.

Most of my larger parts were sold to an MX5 spares company in the one lot, quick & hassle free for me. Smaller items like strut braces I punted on fleabay.

nikpro could be the ideal opportunity to get rid of a number of your parts in one go.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Can anybody tell me overall width and length for the completed car? Just trying to work out how much room will be left around the car in my garage!

Overall width is 1.61m, length 3.66m approximate.

Thanks, leaves me enough room, good news!

Whats everybody's opinion of the SDV completion package? Nice and easy way to do it, is it good value, or can you be a bit more personal with things for the same sort of cost?

I have been scouting around for a donor vehicle and there are quite a few "Eunos" ones around.

As they are imports, does this cause problems later down the line with registration, and also retaining a year plate?

nothing wrong with the mazda route - personally I would prefer the Ford route down to tuning options throughout the car in the future

have you though about buying a doer upper if you fancied a project or maybe a part built - put up a wanted post there are occasionally non started complete kits for sale due to owners change of circumstance