flat panel for boot box

Cleggy the Spyder Man

need to cover the big hole where my boot box once was - tbh I would like a carbon mods honeycomb carbon fibre job but not sure if funds will stretch

I see playskool to some plastic carbon fibber ones  :D  how do they compare visually to the real thing?

any other suppliers/options?

I had a MickMade panel and cut it to fit. :cool:  :cool:

The playskool one looks like false carbon and not like "the real thing".

The other option would be aluminium and spray it matt black.

Get the real thing (carbon), dont fek it up when cutting it and be proud to show it off to fellow WSCC members :cool:

Here's a picture of my PlaysKool front wings which I believe are the same material/pattern.

IMG_1009.jpg

Its one of my jobs and am planning on using Playskool stuff, if you buy and don't like I buy it from you.  :t-up:

Fluke used to do carbon fibre honeycomb panels , thats where I got mine from , but dont know if it will be any cheaper than Carbon Mods

If you only want it for the looks and aren't to worried about weight then you could also consider CSC which is a laminate of glass fibre with a carbonfibre facing and is only about 2/3 the price of carbon sheet.

see sheet sales tab for prices and they can also cut and drill it for you too if you can provide a drawing.

Aluminium covered in cf sticky  :)

ZBOOT.jpg

• Like 1

I've got the fake carbon looking plastic stuff over my boot box and on a really hot trackday it actually distorted and it was noticably harder to get back in to place as the fit was already snug/accurate when cold.

If you haven't considered them I'd also recommend the 1/4 turn quick release fasteners like below. Maybe others will advise against, but I saw some on Garry Bunn's bootbox cover and I instantly fell in love (with the fasteners not you Garry, sorry :p).

Dzus.jpg

Being on a slightly tighter budget I made mine out of an old advertising sign made from a perspex and ally combo sandwich. Took a good few hours. I used an old plastic storage box mounted on the underside with a flap in the top to make a small boot. Sprayed painted it all black and jobs a good'n.

Did take a fair amount of time though but was relatively happy with the result and saved some wonga!

I am now going to try and make a diffuser out of the same material as I have quite a lot left as it was a big sign!

Just another option for you, all you need now is an old advertising sign!!!

Being on a slightly tighter budget I made mine out of an old advertising sign made from a perspex and ally combo sandwich. Took a good few hours. I used an old plastic storage box mounted on the underside with a flap in the top to make a small boot. Sprayed painted it all black and jobs a good'n.

Did take a fair amount of time though but was relatively happy with the result and saved some wonga!

I am now going to try and make a diffuser out of the same material as I have quite a lot left as it was a big sign!

Just another option for you, all you need now is an old advertising sign!!!

brilliant idea that chap - just realised I have some of that type of honeycomb sign available to me for zilch

bit of vinyl on top and jobs a good un  :t-up:

just off to go find it and will report back once I have worked out if it will do the job  :D

thanks for all the other suggestions

I made one using the clear plastic they sell for glazing roofs, the stuff that looks like 1cm square tubes joined together into a sheet.  Very cheap and very light.  Paint or vinyl on the underside for colour.  Woolies for rubber section to go round the edge and velcro to fasten.

I used the ally panels from Westfield, cut them to size ( they where nowhere near fitting when they arrived) then wrapped them in carbon fibre wrap

Johnson,

Random question, but where did you get you hanbrake gaiter and surround from?  I am fitting cf panels to the tunnel and need a nice handbrake surround.

Mat

Posted these before but I vote Playskool

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

:D

looks very neat - is that the 2mm or 4mm panel

I used the 4mm panel, then with the offcuts I bonded them to the side pieces with Sikaflex and that allowed me to make the centre bit removable.

The handbrake trim ring was from Europa .

The handbrake gaiter was from Mr Gaiter but it appears he is no longer trading,shame as it was only £20 for the handbrake one and a gear lever one (although I didn't need that)