O/T Painting Outside Walls

a4gom

Anyone any experience with different types of paint.

I have a large retaining wall on my boundary and a garage wall which I need to paint.

It was rendered back in the 70's when the house was built and has had many coats of paint over the years by the previous owners.

I've been a bit slack over the time I've lived here spending too much time in the garage than a looking at the outside and the past couple of winters have taken their toll.

It's now a right b****y mess, the old paint peeling of etc. I've spent quite a bit of time getting all the loose off and repairing the render where required but can't get some of the paint off.

Anyway I've got to the point now where I'm proper f'd off with it and just need to slap some paint on. As I haven't managed to get all the paint off and I have made some repairs the surface is far from smooth.

I appreciate it's going to show through what ever i do but I could do with finding some "high build" maybe textured paint to make it as good as possible.

Can anyone suggest such a product?

Something fairly cheap which will do the biz with one coat  would be great as I've got about 90m2 to do but as you generally get what you pay for I suspect I've more chance of spotting a flying pig.

TIA

Oh and any advice on the best type of applicator, roller / roller sleeve would be great too....

You need a masonry paint. I'm not in that line of busines, but years ago Sandtex was one of the leading brands. Put it on with a big brush, quite hard work if you have a large area to cover, I did a whole house years ago, wouldn't like to do it now. A garage would be no problem.

Keeping an eye on this one, just moved into a very yellow house that needs toning down a bit. Will keep Sandtex in mind.

Thinking of an all over jetwash (my god am I going to get splattered jetwashing off a ladder), repair the bits of render that blow out and paint.

Sounds like more a job for spring time though

You need a masonry paint. I'm not in that line of busines, but years ago Sandtex was one of the leading brands. Put it on with a big brush, quite hard work if you have a large area to cover, I did a whole house years ago, wouldn't like to do it now. A garage would be no problem.

Yep, this.  Did my front wall (both sides) this summer with Sandtex and a big masonry brush.  Came up great.  This the week to do it, fine weather ahead, get 'er done.

Sounds like more a job for spring time though

As the capt says this would appear to be the week to do it, trouble is if I leave it over this winter I'm sure i'll have a load more prep work to do.

Rich I thought about spraying it but was told you need to thin it down unless you're using serious tackle so no high build.

I'm thinking I might have to not be too picky this year, just get some masonry paint and a roller to seal it for this winter then get some thicker gear in the spring and give it a decent coat then.

sounds like a job for a Tyrolean splattered finish , I have no idea what the stuff costs , but a splatter gun is cheap to hire for a weekend and it will hide any unfeathered render patches with a relatively painless application ( if a touch messy at the edges )  , do a google  :t-up:

have you tried a jet washer to get the rest of the paint off.

having just repainted all my fence panels with a pump up spray vessel i was thinking to myself this would probaby be ok for massonary paint. i hate painting  pebble dash, almost as much as fence panels.

but i have to say the spray did a good job and took about 4 times quicker to do.

it may be a option .but i have not tried it myself ???

Just get a 6" brush and paint sandtex on

It will not take as long as you think and will last well

Artex it  :D

I use sandtex, but only because that's what my house has been painted with for the last 40 years so it ensures a good colour match. :p

If painting over fresh render make sure you've left the wall for a couple of weeks to allow it to dry properly, as any moisture trapped behind the paint will case it to bubble and peal over time as the trapped moisture trys to evaporate out in hot weather.

I've used a jet wash and whilst I'm sure I could get all the paint off eventually it would be a very time consuming process, I'd probably just about manage it by spring!

That Tyrolean splattered finish sounds just the job but says it won't work on previously painted surfaces.

Off to local handyman shop to see what they've got on offer, whats the betting I come out with a tin of sandtex and a brush.

I've used a jet wash and whilst I'm sure I could get all the paint off eventually it would be a very time consuming process, I'd probably just about manage it by spring!

That Tyrolean splattered finish sounds just the job but says it won't work on previously painted surfaces.

Off to local handyman shop to see what they've got on offer, whats the betting I come out with a tin of sandtex and a brush.

2-1 on

Batten it and fix some trellis or featherboard to it