Something to protect my cycle wings

kirkyboy5

Lads and Ladies,

I have recently noticed that the front of one of my cycle wings has somehow got a very small crack right at the front of the cycle wing. This crack is right on the front edge of the cycle wing and is near the tyre (if that makes sense). I think this was caused by a stone flicking up from a car infront however it seems to be getting worse and a bit bigger. It has now taken of a little bit of the gel coat and i can see the fiberglass.

I was wondering if there is anything that can be put onto the front of the cycle wings to protect them from getting stop chipped?

Regards

Dan

• Like 1

Get some gelcoat from the factory and do a repair .

If its a small area it only tales an hour or so  :t-up:

I think you have been unlucky with some large debris from the road or the car has been knocked somehow

I have down 20k plus miles in a 7 and never had any damage to the front of the cycle wings caused by stones (other than very slight markings but never any cracks)

I have managaed to crack them when moving the car about though  :blush:

It is possible there may be another cause, particularly if you do trackdays.

When I had standard factory cycle wings I found that at high speed, the front of the wing bent down, and the back I guess was bending up and back. This was as a result of wind resistance. This caused the front of the wing to come into contact with the top of the tyre.

I got through 2 sets before I fitted Carbon Mods carbon fibre CRS style wings. That cured it!

get some clear plastic stick on paint protector film from your local motorcycle shop or from the manufacturer 3M

Added some rubber edging to the very front of my Carbon mods wings as the leading edge looked a bit vulnerable.

18496.jpeg

It's just some rubber edge trim like this from car builder solutions. Just stuck on with bostik so it can be easily removed, and the ends cut at an angle to taper at the edges to match the wing sides.