Q Plate

tommy holly

I am looking for a seiw 2.0l zetec or duratec what i want to know is does a q plate devalue the car, or would it be the same value as an age related plate

Cheers Tommy

IMHO it makes no difference to the value of the car. It's only an issue if you intend to put an age related plate on it such as a personal plate - cos you can't with a Q plated car.

More important is the quality of the build, spec, condition, but then you knew that already.

Firstly, a "Q" plate is no lesser car!

With kit cars in general it can often be better to own one than age related/donor plate one, as many kits built years ago, are not correctly registered, they just hasn't been picked up on yet. This is a minefield with Beetle based cars.

Westfields are different, donor plate, Q plate, built and registered as a Westfield from new, it's all good.

As much as this is unfounded with respect to the quality of the car, a Q will be worth less than an equally well built car of the same age and spec on an age related or new build reg.

It would not bother me if I bought a Q car, nor does the year make any difference to me.   What I am looking for is car that is pampered and serviced correctly,   this also goes for a normal tin top car.

There is nothing wrong with a Q plate but IMHO two identical cars, condition, spec etc a Q plate would be worth slightly less.

Just is just because to some people there is a stigma attached to kit cars and Q plates so some won't consider it so changes the supply / demand.

There are some advantages though re emissions etc

No issues with Q plates at all.... In fact easier with MOT as NO emissions test   :)

Mines a Q plate....... my previous westy was a Q plate also........

Q plate, easy mot visible smoke only, and you can chuck any engine in without having emission problems or a cat.  :)

I've built 2 westies, one Q' plate and one in 2010  with a current reg.

In terms of my assembly and attention to detail I did nothing different.

As far as quality of components on the 'Q' (braking/suspension/ steering) it was new or reconditioned.

Engine/gearbox on the 'Q' were second hand, but were still tweaked and fettled.

I think it likely the owner of your prospective westy will have build details/reciepts, and you will be able to see the build quality and attention to detail whether its a 'Q', age related or built and registered as new.

As an owner of a new build this time around.....I sometimes wonder if I made the right choice....there's absolutely nothing wrong with my car....but when I'm hammering around a trackday following a 'Q' plate and then having a chat with the owner we all have big smiles.....its still a Westfield, it will drive, it will feel the same, it will be FUN, and its probably cost less.

I would rather buy a Q plated Westfield.

As already said, there are alot more advantages when it comes to MOT time etc.

The only draw back is you can't put a private plate on if you wanted too ?

As for valuation difference there is no difference at all in two Westfields,  with the same spec and build year with age related plates or Q plates.

There is nothing wrong with a Q plate but IMHO two identical cars, condition, spec etc a Q plate would be worth slightly less.

Just is just because to some people there is a stigma attached to kit cars and Q plates so some won't consider it so changes the supply / demand.

There are some advantages though re emissions etc

And just to confuse the issue, I'd pay slightly more for the Q...

Q's are MOT'd as registered on the 1st Jan 1971 which means easy MOT's, and depending on what the V5 says, possibly a visible smoke test only as an emissions test.

Based on what's been said, you'd potentially have bargaining power either way.

Guess it comes down to who wants what! For instance, I love the FW back, seems most people prefere the original, thus making neither worth more than the other.

One other advantage with a Q plate is that no one can tell the age of the car.  :) Mine is Q plated and 15 years old but due to its condition looks 5 years old  :p  and so an age related plate would detract from the car. By the way mine was a factory built car, so of a dependable build quality.

As for price, every Westy is different and needs to be viewed and judged on its own merits, therefore you could pay more for a good Q plate car v's a bad age related car. Years ago it was true that there was a stigma attached to Q plate cars but this was mainly for saloon cars which had been re-registered on a Q plate after an accident and therefore obviously of less value due to the accident history. Kit cars on a Q plate are a different matter entirely and it was common practice for them to be registered in this way.

Hi Tommy and welcome  :cool:  I ask the same question when searching for my westy and got the same responses .. and having now got myself a Q plate and couldn't agree more!  ;)

Q plate is different on mot test although post 1998 q plate cars are supposed to be tested to emissions limits stated on logbook although I've never seen a q plated logbook with emissions data on it  in all the years I've been testingPart of Mot Manual for emissions

Am I missing something here  ???

Can you see the number plate from the drivers seat  :laugh:

So what difference does it make  :p

On my 2nd Q plate Westy  :t-up: