Mazda SDV Wiring

Mooch

Hello again,

Twiddling my thumbs until a missing lower steering column arrives and having a trial fit of the loom before the bodywork goes on.  I think I've got most of it sorted, but there are two bits I dont understand from the donor car and  I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if they are needed or not.

I can't post photos as I still don't have full membership rights (I keep getting thrown out of the final registration process), but can send separately if anyone needs a picture to explain.

Theres a plate fitted on the RH wing on the original car (Mk 1 1600) that has the Carbon cannister sensor (which is I know about and is fitted to the Westie) plus a small relay looking box about 2cm x 1.5cm with two wires (black/yellow and plain black) and a larger (5cm x 6cm) flattish looking 8-pin connector box marked "Mitsubishi POWER TR UNIT J702T"  held on with two bolts.

Does anyone know what these last two bits are and if they are essential?  

And a quick PS (as Tech aren't answering the phone this morning) can someone confirm that the wiper extension lead instructions in the %$£&$*! useless SDV manual are wrong.  Surely the green wire doesn't go to earth when there is a black one available?  

I look forward to hearing sage words of wisdom.  ;)

Mike

flattish looking 8-pin connector box marked "Mitsubishi POWER TR UNIT J702T"  held on with two bolts.

That is the igniter and is definately needed.  I'll double check on the other bits as I don't have a wiring diagram to hand and I'll get back to you unless someone answers before me :t-up:

And a quick PS (as Tech aren't answering the phone this morning) can someone confirm that the wiper extension lead instructions in the %$£&$*! useless SDV manual are wrong.  Surely the green wire doesn't go to earth when there is a black one available?

Looking at the connector on the wiper motor the connections for the wires on the mazda loom are as follows, I didn't use the extension loom on mine so I'm not sure how the mazda colours correspond to those on the westfield loom:

mx5wipers-4.jpg

Edit: Going by the diagram at the bottom of page on this site it looks like Westfield have got the green and black wires the wrong way around in their instructions!

a small relay looking box about 2cm x 1.5cm with two wires (black/yellow and plain black)

Is this it? I thought I'd seen it somewhere before  :p

a small relay looking box about 2cm x 1.5cm with two wires (black/yellow and plain black)

Is this it? I thought I'd seen it somewhere before  :p

Mark,

A mine of useful information as ever.  Thanks for the quick response.  Right - that's the ignitors identified and sorted, and yes, that photo shows the other widget.  I'll keep it and plug it in.  

Thanks for the help re the wiper wiring.  I've just spoken to Mark at Westfield and he assures me that the book is right and that the green does indeed go to earth and that it's an anomaly between the Mazda and Westfield wiring.  I couldn't get the link you sent to work so no sure what that said.  But I seem to recall someone else questioning the arrangement.

Mike

I couldn't get the link you sent to work so no sure what that said.  But I seem to recall someone else questioning the arrangement.

Sorry, I've now fixed the link :t-up: At least if your wirpers don't work you'll know which two wires to swap :p

HTH Mark

Thanks for resetting the link.  I'll give it a go as per the Tech advice, Mark.  I mean, what's the worst that could happen...

Where's that fire extinguisher..... :laugh:

Mike

My wipers wouldn't work at first. - after a lot of head scratching I finally realised that the Manual had the green and black the wrong way round.

Black is you're earth.

Now with them the wrong way round they still worked in one of the positions. But it wouldn't work for some thing else. Swapped the wires over and hey presto all working ok :)

I couldn't get the link you sent to work so no sure what that said.  But I seem to recall someone else questioning the arrangement.

Sorry, I've now fixed the link :t-up: At least if your wirpers don't work you'll know which two wires to swap :p

HTH Mark

I've looked at that link again, and you are right - the manual is clearly wrong, as I suspected it was and the green is the live feed.  It's a real pity that more care isn't taken with updating the book.  I don't trust it, which is not a good thing for someone new to the game like me.    

Mike

My wipers wouldn't work at first. - after a lot of head scratching I finally realised that the Manual had the green and black the wrong way round.

Black is you're earth.

Now with them the wrong way round they still worked in one of the positions. But it wouldn't work for some thing else. Swapped the wires over and hey presto all working ok :)

Thanks for confirming this.  I was told by the Tech guys today that the manual is right and that this has never been raised before as an issue - but it's clearly wrong. And that's the second time I've been told that it's not been an issue when it clearly is.  

Is anyone updating this manual or is it some sort of rite of passage that we all have to make the same mistakes?   :bangshead:

Well it seems that if Westfield think it's right then ( in a brummie accent ) "well it's right owa end mate, so it don need changing, ova wise that wood envolve doin' some work" ;)

Black is you're earth.

Thanks for confirming this.  I was told by the Tech guys today that the manual is right and that this has never been raised before as an issue - but it's clearly wrong. And that's the second time I've been told that it's not been an issue when it clearly is.  

Is anyone updating this manual or is it some sort of rite of passage that we all have to make the same mistakes?   :bangshead:

That's the least of you're worries...  8 pages later the manual ends completely :D:D

Flyin Miata did talk about writing a suppliement to the manual but I haven't heard anything more of this for over a year.

Have a read of this post though to get an idea of the potential errors  :bangshead:

Black is you're earth.

I thought I'd seen that question asked in the past  :laugh:

http://boardroom.wscc.co.uk/cgi-bin....y803422

The build manual can be a PITA at times but it's still miles better than that supplied with most other kit cars.  Lucky for you there's enough of us on here that know the Mazda SDV's to help with any problems  :t-up:

You should have tried using the 1989 manual, I don't think it totalled 8 pages, something like page 4 was useful "fit engine" that was it. :D  :D  :D

something like page 4 was useful "fit engine" that was it. :D  :D  :D

That's how mine was five or six years ago. Nothing at all on engine fitting in the main manual, ah we do supplements for the different engines Sir, ah, well OK, I know I'm building a VX engined version, which is only semi supported, so there's no supplement. But could I have a Zetec supplement or something just to get the idea? No sir, you'll be alright... And that was it.  :laugh:

Never have seen any of the official engine or gearbox fitting info.