• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Engine Choices

AJ9939

I`m new to Westfields and am looking to spice things up under the bonnet of my SEiW. Currently a 1700 x/flow with twin 40`s, stage two head, fast road cam. Alleged 135bhp, but pevious owner "lost" the Dyno chart, and i`m a bit doubtfull.

Is much more power available with more tuning, ie 45`s or am i at the limit now?

Ideally I would like 2.0l Zetec or 2.0l 16v Vauxhall. (Having finally discounted the bike engine option after discovering the dry sumping cost, let alone the price of a blackbird engine) I have read about 3d management or dumping fuel injection and replacing with 45`s and a some engine work. What costs are involved to get around 180bhp and what work needs to be done? and what bhp figures can i expect without spending lots on 3d management?

Lastly, i have no idea what gearbox i have, so is it likely that a zetec engine will fit on directly ? If it was a Vauxhall 2.0l would i need the vauxhall gearbox ?

Look forward to any replies, thanks....

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mb893

• neilwillis

• hilux

• S8ight

IMHO

Zetec I would think is slightly easier route, but stand to be corrected.

Standard 2.0 with twin 45's will get you 160-170bhp

Standard VX with twin 45's will get you 170-180bhp

Re. gearbox rather depends what you have at the mo'.

More informed technical people will be along pretty soon!

Assuming you have either a type 9, or MT75 box, the Zetec will just bolt on (though you will need some clutch bits).

The only real problem - and I suspect whichever way you decide to go - will be that you will need an ECU, complete exhaust system, and of course inlet manifold for the carbs.

I also think the x-flow exhaust exits on the off-side, whereas the Zetec exits on the nearside.   Not impossible to get round, but it will mean a little attention to the body tub.

The only engines I'd suggest you rule out are the bikes.   They will not have anywhere near the longevity of a well sorted 16 valve car engine, and for road use they are at best difficult to handle.

I also think the x-flow exhaust exits on the off-side, whereas the Zetec exits on the nearside.   Not impossible to get round, but it will mean a little attention to the body tub.

Don't think so. X-Flow is passenger side exit. Pinto is (I think) a driver's side exit, as is the Duratec.

Maybe. :)

Andy

Don't think so. X-Flow is passenger side exit. Pinto is (I think) a driver's side exit, as is the Duratec.

Maybe. :)

Andy

correct.

Also, x-flow is not likely to have an MT75. If it's a 5 speed it will be type9 and 4 speed could be type 2 or type 3

oops, pressed send a bit speedy there...

Cheers for replies.

Does anyone know what BHP i should be getting from a correctly setup 1700 x/flow with spec as per my first post above ?

Also, on Findit.co.uk, a turbo technics "bolt on turbo" to fit a 1700 x/flow engine. Has anyone heard of this being done succesfully ?

At least i now know that i have a type9 `box !

So the exhaust exits passenger side for Zetec then like mine now ?

Are there any meets in surrey/sussex/hants areas for Westfield owners?

Quote "The only engines I'd suggest you rule out are the bikes.   They will not have anywhere near the longevity of a well sorted 16 valve car engine, and for road use they are at best difficult to handle."

What a load of pap! Sorry mate but have to say that is total  :arse:

And how long will a 16V highly tuned car engine last before rebuilding??

Difficult to handle on a road? Again total pap  :arse:  :durr:  :durr:

I drive mine more on the road than track and I seem to handle it just fine! Mine is a beast of an engine too and can drive at 3k rpm and just pootle if I want or can scream upto 12k using all 6 gears in the sequential box! So tell me exactly just what is soooooo difficult?

Hmmm, not really an educated post that one!

The bike engines ARE reliable, fast, lightweight, have a lovely sound to em, 6 speed sequential box and will pull from 2.5k al the way until 12k redline! They are also more economical on petrol than a highly tuned 16V Car engine too.

Its only the large cc bike engines that need to be dry sumped too, anything upto 1100cc doesnt need it! Above it then yes you do!

So nerrr  :devil:  :angry:  :devil:  :devil:  :0  :p  ;)

oops, pressed send a bit speedy there...

Cheers for replies.

Does anyone know what BHP i should be getting from a correctly setup 1700 x/flow with spec as per my first post above ?

Also, on Findit.co.uk, a turbo technics "bolt on turbo" to fit a 1700 x/flow engine. Has anyone heard of this being done succesfully ?

At least i now know that i have a type9 `box !

So the exhaust exits passenger side for Zetec then like mine now ?

Are there any meets in surrey/sussex/hants areas for Westfield owners?

IME I think somewhere around 120 - 135 for a x-flow like yours..??

Personally I don't think turbos suit Westy's, but there are a number out there who will disagree - cossie/CVH. Haven't heard of a x-flow though.

Yep, zetec on passenger side like x-flow

BTW mine was a x-flow originally!!

Have a look on main WSCC page for meets - definitely some in the areas you mention.

HTH

My Xflow spec isn't too disimilar to yours until recently and I got 138bhp on a rolling road.  Done a couple of other bits since so would hope for around 145 now.  Beyond this, things would get very expensive.  You'd probably be wanting cosworth rod bolts, forged pistons and rods, 3d ignition etc...  If you think your engine should be performing better than it is, just get it down to a decent rolling road for a bit of a play with the carbs and ignition.  It could be the cheapest BHP you'll ever gain.  Maybe another cheap performance option would be to keep your eyes peeled for a seriously modded 170BHP XFlow for a grand or so and just swap it over and keep your old as a spare or sell it on.

Zetec definetly exits on the passenger side but bear in mind that you might have to move/widen the hole anyway so I don't think this should be a big issue with whatever engine you choose.  Take a good look at the toyota 4age.  By all accounts they're a screamer of an engine.

I have to agree with what Hogman has said about bike engines.  They aren't cheap to install but it shouldn't cost anymore than a 16v conversion.  Like the man says, consider something of a smaller capacity.  Cheapest option would be a fireblade with off the shelf pops.  More exciting options might be a Yamaha R1 or a kwakka ZX9r.  I'm sure both have been done before.

Speedy responses ! I`m impressed. Glad i registered now

You just need to take it one step further and actually join the club now ;)

Andy

with off the shelf pops

Before any smart :arse: asks what off the shelf pops are, its meant to say parts.  God knows how I might made a typo as bad as that.

What a load of pap! Sorry mate but have to say that is total  :arse:

And how long will a 16V highly tuned car engine last before rebuilding??

Difficult to handle on a road? Again total pap  :arse:  :durr:  :durr:

I can only repeat what i have been told by other less enraptured bike engined car owners.

Ask around.   Some people have had new bike engines after just a year or so.   I know however that a Zetec, if properly maintained is good for 175,000 miles.   I am sure that bike engines do get rather more stressed in a car installation, after all, what does a bike weigh all up?   Compare that to the weight of say a Mondeo, and I'm sure you will find the car engines will be working far less, even if you do rev the b*****k off 'em

As for road handling, I am aware of several drivers that have to let the traffic in front get away from them before they drop the clutch.

You may be happy with that, but I'm sure there are quite a few people who would disagree.

At the end of the day however, it is each to his own, and I wouldn't knock anyone for having a BEC.   They do go like s**t off a shovel, and I'm sure they're bags of fun.   It all just depends on what you want from a car.