Speed bumps / sleeping policemen @ Stoneliegh????

djpal1

Ok, excuse my ignorance, but how does going over a bump in the road cause the Zetec thermostat housing to get broken? The only reason I ask is because exactly the same thing has happened to me today!!!

Was having a spirited drive down a country lane and hit a lump in the road that I didn't spot in the shadow of the trees. Next thing I know, coolant is pouring out and on closer inspection the bottom inlet barb has been ripped off:

DSC00796.jpg

How on earth did this happen? On my silvertop at least, it's mounted at the top rear of the engine and there's nothing even close that it could make contact with. Could it be a short hose combined with engine flexing under the g of the bump?

As I understand it the engine hits, moving back and trapping the stat between the engine and chassis rail.

Yep, as you bottom out, the body moves at a different rate to the engine/gearbox flexing. As the thermo housing is in very close proximity to the bulkhead, it thumps against it and breaks .. quite common, I'm afraid.

Always carry a spare, that way it will never happen to you!! I carried one in my westfield and never needed it, and that was with the standard westfield sump. If you carry it, you will never need it! :t-up:;):)

• Like 1

We also spoke to a guy who had a V8 with under pipes, and he said he scraped the bumps too???

It wasn't me. I scraped the year before and raised my Ride height since then as it was a problem I had generally with Bumps! I think next year a sign should be put up by the bump showing the alternative route would save a lot of expense and inconvenience for people.