Help with new sequential gearbox

javigtr

Hello everybody. Not very active since registration but now here looking for your appreciated help.

I'm ordering a 5 speed sequential from Elite. Actually running a 4 speed Quaife dogbox with a 4.4 TranX as final drive (sprint spec).

Because I want to use the car more extensively on track I need help to find the more appropiate gearbox ratios.

My engine is a 2.0xe with SBD 252 stage. It goes perfectly to the +8700 redline but with my current configuration top speed is no more than 125mph which is a little bit short for track use.

Any help welcome.

Cheers,

Javier

Javier,

Elite have an extensive range of gear sets for the IL200 gearbox, and a range of dropgears, so you really need to decide what road speed you want as you maximum (or theoretical maximum if you want top to have an element of "overdrive"), and then use one of the gear ratio calculators which are available on the internet, feeding in your final drive ratio and your tyre size.

Having said that, I'm surprised you are wanting to change from a Quaife to an Elite. Is the reason solely because of the low gearing? If so why not look into changing your final drive ratio? And I have to admit I have ordered an Elite sequential gearbox which is being built for me as I type this; but then I didn't have a Quaife to start with!

It is a pity you are so far away, I was able to visit Elite and discuss my gear set requirements, even took a power and torque graph from rolling road session. They could then advise me what ratios would be best.

Stephen, I think you'll find he is running a Quaife H-pattern dog box and wants to go to a sequential (the Quaife equivalent version is way more expensive than an Elite box)  ;)

Ah, didn't realise they were that close, last I heard it was nearer £2k difference - mind you the models may not be the same....

Have you got one of these Thos? How much does it weigh?

Javier

It's actually very simple with Elite; you choose the drop gear ratio you think will suit. If you give them your current ratios, and what you would like to achieve, they will advise.

Even at 250bhp, you'll probably find that any theoretical top speed much over 235mph will be unusable  --  Se7ens have the drag coefficient of a semi-detached house.

Bear in mind that the IL200 is as compact (and relatively cheap) as it is for a reason  --  but treat it with respect and you'll find it's a dream to use.

All best

David

P.S. Presumably you've already got yourself a copy of Gearcalc  ;)

Have you got one of these Thos? How much does it weigh?

I've got the Quaife 26Z 6spd, and it's a heavy b****r - cant remember exactly, but the wrong side of 30kg anyway!

John

60G is 38kg, IIRC the 26Z series is around the 34kg mark  --  much too heavy for your tastes  ;)

All best

David

John

60G is 38kg, IIRC the 26Z series is around the 34kg mark  --  much too heavy for your tastes  ;)

All best

David

Indeed too heavy and defnitely too expensive for me  :down:

Thanks for providing a reason to make me feel better about it though  :t-up:

Thanks mates for your help and comments. Main reason for the Elite is its low weight and the sequential mode. My Quaife is just 4 speed H pattern which is nice for short track or hillclimbing but not enought for long circuits.

I will talk with Elite guys about what ratios to choose. May be the same as in my Quaife and adding a 0.87 as overdrive in 5th.

I'm planning to fit a carbon fibre propshaft ....anybody has tryed it ?  Do you think it could be a good option ?

Money for nothing ?

Cheers,

Javier

At only 20Kg the Elite gives a very worthwhile weight saving over the Quaife, part of the reason why we are running one.

A few of the Caterham lads run carbon propshafts, but don't know of any Westfields?

It will certainly be worthwhile in terms of saving overall weight plus a reduction in the rotating mass.  You just need to work out if the benefits are worth the money - I think the caterham carbon props are about £600, plus they need to be shielded to avoid any damage.

Be a bit careful comparing weights.

The Elite needs a flanged proshaft whereas the standard type9 is splined and also needs a bracket to gice type9 mounting points so this offsets some of the on paper saving. Still a light box though.

At only 20Kg the Elite gives a very worthwhile weight saving over the Quaife, part of the reason why we are running one.

A few of the Caterham lads run carbon propshafts, but don't know of any Westfields?

It will certainly be worthwhile in terms of saving overall weight plus a reduction in the rotating mass.  You just need to work out if the benefits are worth the money - I think the caterham carbon props are about £600, plus they need to be shielded to avoid any damage.

Hi Alexander,

What do you mean when you say "shielded" ? Do they need any special protection?

My car has full flat underneath and the propshaft goes fully covered. Is this what you mean?

I found them at CTG Torqline but no idea about prices.