Ford Type E (Rocket) Gearboxes

Richard M Green

I’ve got two Ford 4 Speed Type E (apparently known colloquially as “Rocket") gearboxes that are surplus to requirements:

The Type E gearbox although only four speed, has a bolt on bell housing and a (three) bolt in gearstick.

The first gearbox is a Brian Hill (BGH Geartech) ‘sporting close’ with ratios of 2.83:1, 1.81:1, 1.26:1 and 1:1.

The second gearbox is a standard Ford box bought as a spare for the first. It is standard with 3.65:1, 1.97:1, 1.37:1 and 1:1.

Both have been modified at Brian's suggestions to use a dedicated extension housing using a length of Dural channel that bolts on to the gearbox tail housing and a cut down five speed ‘box tail housing that bolts to the channel to hold the gearstick.

Consequently a single lengthened gear selector shaft is used, thereby negating the need for a separate extension.

The BGH ‘box has served me well for seven seasons and has shown no sign of need for a rebuild yet - and in fact the second box was never needed. I’ve now converted to a five speed alloy box so don’t need the Type Es which are cluttering up the garage.

Please note that these boxes do not come with bellhousings or gearsticks, but both are readily available.

The cost of a rebuilt BGH Type E Sporting Close today is £500+VAT, so I’ll sell the pair together for £300 ono.

They can be collected from North West Hampshire, or personal delivery in southern England may be possible – I’m reluctant to entrust them to a courier type company.

Please PM me if you’re interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.