Build Frustration

Doug Dastardly

Thought I'd add an update in case anyone's following this.

Work and afternoon naps meant no building at the weekend.

The lower steering column rubber bush is turning into my nemisis :mad:  :mad:  :mad:

WF sent me a new one (very quickly I'm happy to say) and on their advice I sanded off the powder coating on the inside of the bracket. I noticed a lump of weld too, as if the metal had begun to burn through when welding onto the leg part, so I took that down too. Then I applied grease and squeezed the bush in. It went easily up to the raised circles which appeared to catch again. Not knowing what else to do, and having been told that they should just slip in I added more grease and squeezed again. The bush is now in place but the raised bumps have sheared off and there is a lump of rubber sqeezed out in one place. :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

How can something so simple be proving to be the most difficult yet? I do wonder if my bracket is quite right because it sounds quite straightforward normally.

Frustrated builder signing off,

Doug

:durr:

I'm following Doug!

I'm guessing you've got the same kit (special edition?) and have a few weeks head start on me for the build, so I'm keen to hear the problems you are hitting!

Stick in with the build mate, when you finally fire that engine up, it will be even sweeter!!

keep on with the progress updates!

Dave

I'm building the special edition too Dave, but with a few upgrades.

Spoke to Mark at WF today, he advised using rubber grease or washing up liquid as a lube because normal grease will get pushed off. Also suggested rounding off the edge of the bracket to lessen any tearing effect as the bush pushes through.

Will need to get another new bush from stores tomorrow and hopefully it will be third time lucky :)

Doug

Quick message for Dave.

Drill your mounting holes for fuel filter in the chassis under the right driveshaft before fitting driveshaft and wishbone. I can't see any reason why you should wait to do this and it'll make access with a drill much easier.

I don't know if I'll manage yet. I drilled the pilot holes and only just managed. The bigger drill will be longer and I don't want to end up with squint holes. I may need to dismantle wishbone or find a right angle drill attachment.

Doug

Got that, cheers mate!

I've seen right angle drill attachments on ebay, but they look pretty chunky.  Dismantle might be the best option?

Good Luck!

Dave

I've seen right angle drill attachments on ebay, but they look pretty chunky.  

A useful bit of kit - can get you into tight corners  :D  :D

Rory's Dad

I've got one Doug.  They are useful, you would not have needed one as you chose the wise option and got the factory to do the panelling

Not all of them are chunky

This may be very anal and obvious, but it keeps me sane...

When you find that you are revisiting the same bolts over and over again, And you have tidied up your spanners etc...

I have a board on the wall with the name of the bolt (eg Fr R Upper Wishbone) and the bolt size!

It then saves me cluttering the floor with additional spanners etc!

Update time

I got my fuel filter mounted and my holes drilled for the fuel pump, and then hit another snag.

I drilled my holes below the diff brace and because of the weld on the brace mounting my rivnut tool wont fit on. I think I'll have to modify it by cutting an edge off the removable guide that the mandrel fits through.

I would have to say that I'm not that impressed with the pump and filter mounts, I know that they'll function fine but I wouldn't think it would take long to design a neater solution. While I'm moaning I'm sure they could be positioned better too, so that the fuel pipes are less bent, and have more clearance to the suspension bolts.

I don't want to sound like a moaner but I do see plenty of room for improvement, but then I'm not an engineer and might well be wrong, also as my build progresses the spaces may fill up.

Busy weekend ahead so I probably won't build much, although I hope to get the pump on and maybe the washer bottle (or is it header tank?) and that'll be a complete rolling chassis, I Think :t-up:  ;)

Doug

So improve it then  ;)  :D

So improve it then  ;)  :D

What he said. Don't believe everything the build manual tells you and you don't have to build your car exactly how it tells you to. I (like most I'm sure) have made quite a few changes to how the manual tells you to build it.

Matt

I haven't built one from scratch but I have just about rebuilt the one I have, and have learned a few lessons:  

More haste less speed, you are understandably keen to get it built, but take your time.

Planning time will optimise your working time - use sketches and checklists.

Keep asking yourself if what you are going to do today will have to come off tomorrow to give you access for something else.

Use the extremely helpful people on here, some of whom have been in and out of their garages taking photos for me all evening.

When you know what you plan to do tommorrow - search the web for pics of what it looks like finished - there are build diaries all over the place, nothing you are about to do hasn't been done and photographed.

Organise your tools and keep them organised, save ten seconds dumping that spanner somewhere now , then spend ten minutes looking for it later..

If only I could follow my own rules!    

Jim

save ten seconds dumping that spanner somewhere now , then spend ten minutes looking for it later..

Use a tool tray ;)

So improve it then  <!--emo&;)  :D

What he said. Don't believe everything the build manual tells you and you don't have to build your car exactly how it tells you to. I (like most I'm sure) have made quite a few changes to how the manual tells you to build it.

Matt

I'm trying to think ahead and not blindly follow the manual but I'm pushing the boundries of my experience as it is, and I'm always worried that if I move something it'll either be in the way of something else later on or not be IVA compliant.

I can always change things later but I don't want to end up with too many holes in the chassis.

For example: I was planning to make a spacer for the inertia switch, but can I just put it on the rear face of where its meant to go? This would solve the problem but surely if it could go there , that's where everyone would put it? I can only presume that it'll be in the way of the fuel tank or boot box or something.

Its a steep learning curve :t-up:

• Like 1

Hi Doug I built from scratch and the manual is good in parts and vague in others. Especially where it says mount the wiper motor on the wrong side of the scuttle but that was straightforward to rectify. The hours I spent looking at build pics on the web was time well spent!

I use fairy liquid for any rubber items  ???  ease the rubber bits under using a flat blade whilst it's being eased together in a vice if that makes sense?