Build Frustration

Doug Dastardly

Hi World,

Build not going too well right now, everything I do seems not to work or I'm not happy with the result.

This will make you smile though......trial fitted my whole steering column and was disappointed when it would not turn. Half an hour later I turned the key and took the steering lock off!

:durr:  :durr:  :durr:

Things that are getting me down:

Would rather fit fuel tank and work my way towards engine rather than mounting pump and filter first but don't have a tank yet. :down:

Not happy with position of inertia switch, new chassis have an extra diagonal just below where its meant to go :down:

Not happy with hand brake route, the official route doesn't look good to me but I can't find a better one. The cable actually seems too short to follow the official route or any other  :down:

Had problem fitting my upper steering column and the bottom mounting bracket has splayed open :down:

Can't get the rubber bush into the guide for the lower steering column. Got it half in and now its just bulging over the sides when I press it further :down:

On the plus side it's beginning to look like a car! :t-up:

I'm happy to take suggestions but this post is more just to blow off steam. Another phone call to Mark at WF is in order. I must say that so far he's been very patient with me and helpful.

Better also say that I'm enjoying the build but it does make you feel incompetent! :oops:

Doug

Hi Doug,

Sorry to hear you are struggling.....as you say at least the build is beginning to look like a car. Other than your posted issues, hows the rest of the build coming on? I will be starting my build in a few weeks.  Any advice for a rank amateur starting out on an FW special edition kit?

Dave

Hi World,

Build not going too well right now, everything I do seems not to work or I'm not happy with the result.

This will make you smile though......trial fitted my whole steering column and was disappointed when it would not turn. Half an hour later I turned the key and took the steering lock off!

:durr:  :durr:  :durr:

Things that are getting me down:

Would rather fit fuel tank and work my way towards engine rather than mounting pump and filter first but don't have a tank yet. :down:

Not happy with position of inertia switch, new chassis have an extra diagonal just below where its meant to go :down:

Not happy with hand brake route, the official route doesn't look good to me but I can't find a better one. The cable actually seems too short to follow the official route or any other  :down:

Had problem fitting my upper steering column and the bottom mounting bracket has splayed open :down:

Can't get the rubber bush into the guide for the lower steering column. Got it half in and now its just bulging over the sides when I press it further :down:

On the plus side it's beginning to look like a car! :t-up:

I'm happy to take suggestions but this post is more just to blow off steam. Another phone call to Mark at WF is in order. I must say that so far he's been very patient with me and helpful.

Better also say that I'm enjoying the build but it does make you feel incompetent! :oops:

Doug

mark has been very patient with all of us... i found emails and photos were the best way of getting answers from them.

cheers

John

You will get used to it

Must have fitted every part at least twice some even more inc the engine and box

I think the only parts I havent had to remove are the steering rack, the tub and ali panels :0  :0  :down:

But then I never do things the easy way :p

Richard

Doug,

Just a word of advice re fuel tank.  Try to test the calibration of the fuel sender to gauge before you put the body work on.  Mine doesn't show full when tank is brimmed full and shows empty when there is still some left.  I think I will need to remove the sender and adjust the float angle a little.  This is not easy with the body now on.

I fitted the pump & filter before the tank and had no probs.  Also the inertia switch can be located anywhere in that area as long as it's vertical so you may find another location that's suitable.

For the handbrake ... you can't adjust or test it properly until you have brake fluid in the system ... I made that mistake.  Also take care with the plastic lock nuts on the cable ... they slip if you pull the hand brake too hard ... once they have slipped it's difficult to lock them on ... again I learnt this and had to add a jubilee clip to lock the adjuster.

Apologies if I'm stating the bleeding obvious.   :D

Cheers,

Toddy.....

Doug,

at least you can get on with your build !!  Despite emails and phone calls I am still no wiser when I am going to get any of my parts and so am stuck with no more jobs I can do at the moment (well still got the loom to sort out)

Just a quick on doug. When fitting the bush into the lower steering support, use lost of washing up liquid or a light smearing of grease or wd40. It should just slip right in. Lubrication is the key ;)

Don't rush it and just take your time

Sometimes it pays to walk away, have a think and a Beer and then have a fresh look at it the following day

All the best with it

It WILL be worth it when your out enjoying it     :cool:

I did exactly the same. Nerly took my steering rack off looking for an obstruction.

Thanks for the encouragement everybody.

A few replies:

To Dave

Advice on new build- DO NOT let my wee rant put you off in any way. I just needed to vent a bit. Its a wonderful thing to see a car come together. I've got all the suspension and hubs on and it looks great, a bit like a racing car my inner child thinks!

Get the spec right at the start when you can pay extra to upgrade rather than full price in a years time, and have second hand parts littering your garage.

Buy the right tools and good tools. I'm so glad I bought a britool 3/8 set with imperial, metric and deep sockets. It also had hex bits which you need to fit your torque wrench. Allan keys with rounded ball type ends have been great too.

To Toddy

Great advice on fuel tank, thanks.

I've got upgraded brakes which have separate little brake pads for the handbrake so it works perfectly without fluid. I think the levers may be higher than on standard rear calipers which may be causing my cable routing woes.

Bleedin' obvious advice gratefully received. Do not confuse me with someone who knows what they're doing!

To TIGbrother

EVERYTHING was covered in WD by the time I gave up! Might resort to brute force and ignorance today on the theory that if I wreck the bush it can't cost much!

I think I'll take a while after work today, tidy the garage and then start again. Its become a bit cluttered because I keep getting half way through a job and getting stuck so I put the tools and bits down in a corner and move onto the next job until I'm stuck again.

Thanks all,

Doug :t-up:

Keep going Doug it will be fine

Woohoo three boxes arrived today so i can get back building this weekend

Woohoo three boxes arrived today so i can get back building this weekend

That's one thing about building a westfield...........getting parcels is much better than christmas AND happens far more often :D  :D  :D

Glad to hear that you'll get some more progress Aj.

Knowing how hard I'd pressed the steering column bush into the bracket I thought it might be worth removing it to try a different lub rather than pressing it more. I was thinking of swarfega (crap hand cleaner but slippier than a polititian) to help it slide in.

Anyway, boy was it in tight for only being half in, and now it's totally knackered. Ironic that I damaged it taking it out. So replacement needed. I also noticed that my bracket was just slightly oval on one side so I rectified that with a socket inside to check when it became true. I don't think that it was far enough out to be the problem though.

Might be adventurous and try to bleed the brakes tonight if the GF's up for some pedal pushing ;)

Doug

Good point Simon, but at some point the suspension may become unloaded again and stretch the cable if I raise the wishbones to fit it?

The highs of self build tonight.

Refitted the upper steering column-success :t-up:

Bled brakes, rock hard pedal first time-success :t-up:

I have reservations about the brakes though as its rock hard by hand and leg shove may display any weakness. Have only hand pumped so far. Hope the pedal's still firm in the morning.

This is beginning to sound like a build thread.........

Doug