2.0L Zetec silvertop, redtop, blacktop...

uk89camaro

I'm pretty sure this has been asked before, but I baffled the search engine.

I think there are some differences in ancilliary positions, or mounting points, but are there any fundamental power differences, or internal changes like main bearings or pistons and the like.

I've driven a redtop this morning and it was pretty lively, but I don't want to waste too much time trying to test drive every combo before I make my mind up about which one to buy, unless one has 50 more ponies than the other. (Out of the crate that is.)

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,

I have had a standard red top, zetec 1800 and zetec 2000 (200 bhp )

The zetec at 200 bhp is very easy to use and makes a good all round car, whether you  are on the road or track days.

Even though my red top was only standard you will find that they have more torque at lower revs and more grunt. ( Although other members will disagree ).

A silver top and black top are basically the same except black top has different o/s engine mount position due to oil filter screwed into block. Different water pump, solid tappets instead of hydraulic and different sump. Thats about it.

JEM

are you planning a New build OR on buying secondhand    ???

You'll probably get a few differing views from folks on engine choice      :oops:      :D

Hi Paul,

The zetec at 200 bhp is very easy to use and makes a good all round car, whether you  are on the road or track days.

Even though my red top was only standard you will find that they have more torque at lower revs and more grunt. ( Although other members will disagree ).

A silver top and black top are basically the same except black top has different o/s engine mount position due to oil filter screwed into block. Different water pump, solid tappets instead of hydraulic and different sump. Thats about it.

JEM

So is a crate red top about 200 bhp, depending on what intake & carbs you bolt on?, and yes it was very torquey down at low revs, pulled very happily in fourth from about 1700.

are you planning a New build OR on buying secondhand    ???

You'll probably get a few differing views from folks on engine choice      :oops:      :D

Secondhand, but am completely new to this scene (yanks for 10 years and have just sold my Mustang..), so have been cramming for the last two weeks, and have ridden in a silvertop & a redtop.

I'd like to ride in a vauxhall motored car, and maybe a bike set up (although that might actually be a MK Indy), before I take the plunge, although the chassis set up is quite important for me as well.

Thanks for the replies...

Hi Paul,

JEM

So is a crate red top about 200 bhp, depending on what intake & carbs you bolt on?, and yes it was very torquey down at low revs, pulled very happily in fourth from about 1700.

Think you might be getting a little confused over the colours of cam covers Paul.

Red tops normally refer to vauxhall engines.

Silver tops are early Ford Zetec

Black tops are the later Zetec,

Don't be confused by whay colour owners paint the cam cover.

My engine develops 200 bhp from a new Zetec which was modified by Raceline. Different cams, head ported and throttle bodies.

J

Good call, and thanks for being diplomatic about it! :D

Zetec black top has larger valves as standard compared to the silver top, shorter pistons and longer rods designed to make the engine rev more freely and be slightly smoother, not that you will notice it at 8,000rpm mind  :oops:

You can tell if it has a Vauxhall fitted - the chassis will be rust free as the engine will have p****d oil all over it. they normally get sold with a spare engine that the owner keeps in his garage as well!

:D  :D  :D  :devil:

You can tell if it has a Vauxhall fitted - the chassis will be rust free as the engine will have p****d oil all over it. they normally get sold with a spare engine that the owner keeps in his garage as well!

:D  :D  :D  :devil:

you mong  :D

Don't worry about the claimed BHP either, many don't make the claimed amount.

You had the right idea, "what did it go like" A well made and mapped 150bhp Zetec will be faster than a poor 180Bhp Zetec period. You were spot on when saying it pulled well from low RPM, as on the road a well set up car will feel so much better.