Your cars in stunning locations

Cleggy the Spyder Man

Is that number plate legal?  Really don't think so, a ticket waiting to happen, however good it looks.

If the car is registered pre 72 then yes its legal and tax free

lewis

According to an article I read in one of the Kit Car magazines back in the late 90's (I forget which one) All 'Q' registererd cars built before 1995 came under the pre 72 construction and use reg's. This meant it was legal to display black/white plates. Can anyone shed any light on this as I get asked about it quite often and have no idea were it might be written down?

My 1973 MG Midget, registered 1st August was the first to have reflective plates as mandotory. 1 day erlier and it could have had B&W.

However, it had B&W plates. Now it's got French plates I've had a set of B&W plates made up as the French didn't make reflective mandatory until much later (the 80s I seem to remember)

According to an article I read in one of the Kit Car magazines back in the late 90's (I forget which one) All 'Q' registererd cars built before 1995 came under the pre 72 construction and use reg's. This meant it was legal to display black/white plates. Can anyone shed any light on this as I get asked about it quite often and have no idea were it might be written down?

Yes, I'd really like to know as well, as mine is a 1992 build and would prefer those plates.  Surely Blatman must know - he knows everything!

Lee, the Girl in the Ferrari, is she wearing anything?

I believe the technical term for what she was wearing was a 'boob tube'  :)

IF I remember correctly, Q plate non SVA'd/IVA'd kit care are considered at first used on 1 January 1973, so reflective plates are mandatory. But if the MOT bloke doesn't know...

Also not required are reversing lights, fog lights, side repeaters and emissions tests... ;)

I have written to the DVLA today for clarification on Q plate / black and white plates ruling.  Please allow between one week and a millennia for an answer.

The article in the Kit Car magazine was taken from the JBA owners club newsletter so if anyone knows any JBA owners who have kept their newsletters from the 90's get them to have a rummage through them. I have spoken to other kit car owners over the years who were aware of this.

Update: I have heard back from the DVLA Policy Section in Swansea, and the answer to black and white number plates on a Q reg under any conditions or in any build time frame is an absolute and resounding "no".  Damn.  I like those better.  Proceed with caution, Don.

You will see in another thread I have been done for a small front plate and was told by the nice Policeman that they are actively perusing any number plate infringements. I got a £60 fine and was told if I got caught again I would risk having my number plates revoked which would mean I would have to reapply to the DVLA for new ones. I was told that if he caught me with a stick on front plate he would do me again so I have not risked it.

you dont get much better than that  :love:

Not great photos (and borrowed from friends) but some excellent roads, a recent weekend in the Yorkshire Dales  :cool:

31942_386401352955_749552955_3991092_2080545_n.jpg

31942_386401247955_749552955_3991079_6642106_n.jpg