gel coat repairs.

BillyWhizzz2002

hi, i want to remove the press studs from body of car and fill with gel coat. I know westfield supply small pots of gel coat for about £6. But they cant supply hardener. Where can i get some from? Also has anybody done this before if so how far do these soup go? Or is there a better method of getting rid of the press studs?  thanx.

This can be a pain of a job. Best method is to remove the press stud and glass fibre over the inside of the hole and let cure. then flat down the outer hole area as it will be raised where the pop rivet pulled the material out towards it. Mix uo the gel and use a small apint brush to dab it into the dimple. Try to build it uo so its slighlty proud and the cover it with polythene and tape it on with strong tape. Allow it to cure and the flat it down once again with various grades of flat and dry auntil i is flush and using something like 2000 grit last. The T cut it and that shoukd be it

PS - buy a small GRP kit from Halfords and it will have hardener in it so you can do the inside of the holes with the kit as well

John, are you sure the hardener in a fibreglass diy repair kit is the same as the hardener needed for the gel coat? I'm no expert, but I thought it was different. I have a tiny bit of the hardener for gel coat when I had to do a similar repair, and it is highly inflamable. You can get it from someone who builds boats, or repairs them. The label on my bottle is small and damaged, but I think it says it is Methyl Ethyl Acetone Peroxide. Either way, it is a Polyester Resin Catalyst. I dont think that is the same as ordinary fibreglass hardener.

If you can find 2000 wet-or-dry paper that is the one to finish with, using it wet, not dry. I couldn't, but I got some coachwork rubbing paste, which does a similar job. I agree with finally finishing with T-cut, and possibly colour magic after that.

that didnt take too long.

CFS fibre glass in redruth cornwal

cost £9 for a pot most of which was postage.

wizzer is probably right about boat places but the half dozen i tried near me either couldnt or wouldnt sell it to me

the name of the hardner is MEKP methly ethly ketone peroxide.

Almost what I said, but I couldn't read the whole of the words because of the state of my label.....I assumed *etone was acetone, not ketone!

How you doing Dom?

Yes, if your car is a factory colour you should be able to get a small pot of gel coat in a matching colour.

If it isn't a factory standard colour, or if it a long ago discontinued colour then you might have to look elsewhere!

Get a gel coat colour swatch from your nearest glass fibre suppliers and look it up.

Westfield colours are NOT specific to Westfield and are available all over the place...

WF are prety good at suppling gelcoat, just find a code on any of ur pannels and tell them, i got 2 little pts sent up to me for a reasonable ammount cant rember what but deffo <£15

things are good stephen just got my car in bits and still havn't done my gelcoat repaire as its been too cold/snowwy

• 2 years later...

that didnt take too long.

CFS fibre glass in redruth cornwal

cost £9 for a pot most of which was postage.

wizzer is probably right about boat places but the half dozen i tried near me either couldnt or wouldnt sell it to me

Just ordered from these guys - nice and easy - between £8-9 for the smallest size - £6 was postage