Speedo Calibration

Edo

Hi folks,

Just picked up my first Westfield, and I am delighted! Drove all the way back from Sheffield to London, with no weather gear, so I now know what you all mean by Westfield nose!

Car is an SEi Wide, built in 1992, with a 1700 Crossflow, and bullet 4 speed.

My problem is that the speedo cable has been replaced, but the speedo reads massivly high - i.e. 60 odd is showing as about 100! Of course, this also means the mileage is going up faster as well!

Can anyone help suggest how, or maybe where (West London) I can get this setup better??

Thanks in advance.

Hi There,

Must have been a fairly bracing drive! Excellent stuff. At least you get regular fuel stops to thaw out!

Regarding the speedo, it depends what type of speedo you have. If it's a mechanical cable type, certain of these can be recalibrated. There's a company called speedy cables who can do this. Don't have any contact info, I'm afraid. They will need to know now many times the speedo cable rotates when the car is rolled forwards a certain distance.

Once you have this info, you can send your speedo to them and they will calibrate it on that basis.

As it's so far out, you might need to change the drive gear in the gearbox however.

If you have an electronic speedo the calibration is typically set by entering a number into the unit or by setting DIP switches at the back. This is an easy DIY job but again some calculation is required.

Hope this helps

Kevin

After a lot of trouncing about, I ended up sending my mechanical unit to Speedy Cables.  You'll need to send them the following info:

1) Height in metric from centre of rear wheel hub to ground level

2) Rear tyre size as printed on sidewall

3) The tricky bit - the number of revolutions that the speedo cable makes when the rear wheel has turned six times.  Remove the speedo from the dash.  Draw a chalk mark on the rear tyre.  Have someone sit in the car and count the number of revolutions the cable makes as you push them and the car forward (groan! ) until the rear wheel has make six complete revolutions.  It helps if you chalk mark or put tape on the cable to make it easier to count, since the cable going into the speedo is square.

4) If you have been driving on the speedo for a while and it was over optomistic (mine was 12% too fast), don't forget to tell them to crank the mileometer back or forward (yeah, right! ) to the approximate correct mileage.

Price was £35 plus £5 postage back to me plus £7 VAT plus £5 postage there to start with, so all up at £52 and took about 2-3 weeks.

Speedy Cables

Instrument Division

Abercrave

Swansea SA9 1SQ

01639 732213

Make sure you label the speedo with your name and address so it doesn't get lost in the jumble.  Give them your phone number and when it's ready they'll call you and get your credit card number.

Hope this helps!   :cool:

Thanks all for your help. Bit of a pain to have to send the speedo away. The instruments are vdo.

The last owner didn't have a cable on for about 2k miles, so at the moment, I don't mind it putting the miles on a bit quicker.

Blatman, I live just outside Ealing near Ealing Hospital.

Ed

Within about 1.5 to 2 miles of me then. Look out for the green car pictured............

Edo

Is your car yellow? And if so, was it you driving east along the A4 this evening at around 17.15? You were spotted........

After trying to get my mechanical VDO speedo calibrated and failing... at a cost!!!

I've just fitted a Sigma BC800 bicycle computer to my Westie. Very accurate if you calibrate it correctly, easy to install, looks good, works up to 180MPH. Not sure why! But most importantly cost about £8.

It doesn't have a back light on but a lamp for it costs about £6. Much cheaper than calibration or getting a new speedo!!

The best £14 I've spent on it, other than the petrol to make it GO! GO! GO!

Have a look at this Seven Bike Speedo

Good Luck

Rich