Is Westfield right for me?

Scottie - NW

If I knew how to deleate a thread I would do so but can't figure it out  ???

If you start a topic you can delete it. Go to the bottom of the page and look for the words Delete This Topic.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nikpro

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• Cleggy the Spyder Man

• Scottie - NW

Seems like Nikpro came in with a hand grenade and pulled the pin  :D

Do people who come in here interested in buying a westfield need to be put off by perhaps rather over the top comments - is this doing Westfield or WSCC any favours -

at the end of the day a westfield is as reliable as the quality of its build and the level of tune the vehicle is taken too

get a sensibly tuned well built westfield and you will hopefuly have very few problems - I agree with Nikpro that the westfield or any other 7 type car is not a great all rounder - but hey we have all owned one in here so we learn to put up with its foybles (is that how you spell foybles  :D )

if you buy any car that has been highly tuned/under developed car you can expect big bills sooner rather than later compared to a normal car, it is as simple as that

I agree Cleggy.  My current Westfield (20XE) is just fine and 90% of its miles are getting me to and from work via some wonderful Yorkshire roads.  I bought it because it copes with commuter traffic in and out of town and then goes like a rocket when conditions allow.

Only unreliability has been caused by me going too quickly through a bumpy dip and grinding an edge off the oil filter.  A shorter filter will cure this but in the meantime I'm trying to be more careful.  I sometimes get a bit damp but I don't care.  I'll get to work and home again reliably in a car I love.

I've just got a new lease car through work and have chosen a C3 Picasso.  It'll take me a few months to figure out all the gizmos but in the meantime it's like driving about in a pillow  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:

Rory's Dad

Scottie

Plenty has been said already but as a new Westfield owner (June 2009) with almost exactly the same dilema as you I can honestly say its the best toy I have ever brought!

It took a while to find but I wanted something totally for the road with sensible upgrades, not too much power and something simple to work on. I went for a Westfield despite wanting a Caterham due to the laters massively inflated prices. Mines a 2006 SEIW, 1800 Zetec engine with a raceline water rail and quickshift. Westfield chipped the engine for previous owner so its putting out about 140bhp. It has the optional lowered floor and a heater with full weather gear (never used). It was built from all new parts supplied by Westfield and is on a 2006 age related plate not a Q.

I am reasonably mechanically minded and brought mine with a view to learning more. Website and members are a great bunch and you will never be short of sensible advice.

I put petrol in, check the oil and generally all over the car each time its out and clean and polish it more than is healthy and thats it!!

Just make sure you list what you want from the car, look at lots because there is some rubbish out there (same for any car!) and have a drive in a few, you will not regret it!

Only unreliability has been caused by me going too quickly through a bumpy dip and grinding an edge off the oil filter.  A shorter filter will cure this but in the meantime I'm trying to be more careful.  

I think this is part of the point Nickpro is making. You wouldn't expect a VX220 to spit oil all over the road by driving through a bumpy dip overzealously.

Issues like this can rear up with Westies even if the car is otherwise very very reliable.

I feel old reading this thread; I remember when production cars, (well mine and friends parents cars at least), were just like Fraser describes Caterfields as being.  :blush:  :(  We called it character back then, well, though that wasn't what you necessarily muttered under your breath  :D

Only unreliability has been caused by me going too quickly through a bumpy dip and grinding an edge off the oil filter.  A shorter filter will cure this but in the meantime I'm trying to be more careful.  

I think this is part of the point Nickpro is making. You wouldn't expect a VX220 to spit oil all over the road by driving through a bumpy dip overzealously.

Issues like this can rear up with Westies even if the car is otherwise very very reliable.

It's only because I didn't know until I done it twice that Halfords can sell me a half-height filter.  :durr:  

Mind you I was cracking on a bit  :laugh:  :laugh:

Rory's Dad

I want a fun car for weekends that I can also use with my little boy. I don't want a motorbike as his safety and mine would be too compromised.

I have up to 10k, I also have garage space but I want something reliable I don't have to work on.

Can you actually tell me what in my Post (Post No.31) is the grenade with the pin removed?

I am giving an honest answer to the question - what is it that I have said is bad for Westfield sportscars or the WSCC?

nails

With no further explanation or context. (At the time) + possibly:

...to be reliable - this is not a Westfield I'm affraid

A line easily misread, cleared up in a later post.

you didn't want one to work on and needed it to be reliable - this is not a Westfield I'm affraid!

I still love my Nail but it's not nailey! (Nail=noun, nail=verb)

:t-up:  :p  :D

keep digging - no amount of editing will get you out of this one  :p

keep digging - no amount of editing will get you out of this one  :p

:D     :D

So just How Deep is the Hole now then    ???    :oops:    :D

Also if i was to build a New 'Nail' what would be the best Engine to fit    ???     :devil:

dare not say anything else for fear of reprisals  :D

duratecs are best ... shhhh