Is Westfield right for me?

Scottie - NW

I haven't been to the Wheatsheaf meet for a long time now; since moving to the wirral   but I don't think the westfields go now

I wonder what happened to the A.O.

:p  :p

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nikpro

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• Cleggy the Spyder Man

• Scottie - NW

I've not seen an SR20DET (S14 lump) dropped into a Westie, a CA18DET (S13 lump) has been dropped in though.

it's been a few years since I sold my 200sx S14, I seem to remember the engine was quite tall so you'd need to check it'd fit ???

You could use the Nissan gearbox but may have to make extensive structural changes to the chassis, probably get a custom prop made up too.

Difficult but not impossible, depends how mechanically minded you are.

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=403445

Here is a project thread from the 200sx owners club where someone is fitting a SR20DET into a Westfield, and one is already complete.

On relection, I'll sell the spare Nissan parts and stick to a conventional route (sigma/duratec/zetec etc) for the Westfield. Walking before you run is best.

I need to get along to a meet as I really need to know if a Westfield is a step too far and the extra practicality of an S1 Elise or VX Turbo is necessary.

Don't buy a Westfield - you will sell it about 12 mnths after purchase!

I and many others reffer to these cars as 'Nails' and that's for good reason - they are a hobby and constantly need attention!

You said in your original post you didn't want one to work on and needed it to be reliable - this is not a Westfield I'm affraid!

You only have to look in the techie section to realise all the 'niggles' these cars have!

Most people on here see owning a Westfield as a hobby and love the constant 'tinkering'; I do but for someone who doesn't then it becomes very frustrating.

A far better compromise would be a Lotus Elise. At least they have had some money thrown at the Development so that they run properly from cold etc.

If you still want a Westie then the Sigma engine is easilly the best choice; forget Duratec - it's a boat anchor in comparrison to the Sigma engine and these cars should all be about weight - not outright power.

The ford marketing men have done a great job convincing everyone about the 'lightweight' all alloy Duratec, but think about it rationally;

The engine is 2ltr in size so all the internalls are comparable to the zetec - head/sump/ crank/ pistons/ cams etc. If you split an engine into it's component parts you are left with just the engine block that is made of a different material. The cast engine block of the Zetec isn't that heavy anyway so there isn't a huge amount of room to save weight as the alloy block needs to bbe cast thicker to cope with the stresses.

In the 1600 engine everything is down sized so much more weight is saved!

I'm sure I could get a sigma engined car to handle so much better than the Duratec that it would run rings around it.

:t-up:

Not strictly true Nikpro.

My Seight needed absolutely nothing doing other than regular oil/ fluids check and a change of oil in the 16 months I owned it.

But yes; "tinkering" is all part of the attraction of having a westfield/ similar for some (me included)

I and many others reffer to these cars as 'Nails' and that's for good reason - they are a hobby and constantly need attention!

You said in your original post you didn't want one to work on and needed it to be reliable - this is not a Westfield I'm affraid!

Errr you might refer to them as "Nails" but Quite a few of us don't     ;)

Anybody that called mine a "Nail" after all the work i've put into it would either have to substatiate their comment or they'd get told to P**s off       :suspect:  

No reason why a Westfield can't be as reliable as a normal 'everyday' car as long as they are maintained

(as any normal car)

Ok most of us like to tinker with them, but that's not neccessarily because they are broke

There's quite a few "Teccie sections" on the Interent that are busy with problems and they are for 'Normal' road going cars...

Anybody that called mine a "Nail" after all the work i've put into it would either have to substatiate their comment or they'd get told to P**s off       :suspect:  

All Caterfields & derrivatives are affectionately know as 'Nails' in the track day community.  :D

(You'll have to tell me to P**s off I'm afraid)  :t-up:

It isn't a term used as an insult to an individual car just a generic term!

(But used for a reason - look at the huge amounts of chalk dust on the mallory video's- it was always going to happen with that many 'Nail's' on track.  :D   ;) )

I own a very expensive 'Nail' that I like to thin isn't a nail but is a 'Nail' by definition -  ???

I have done nearly 5k miles this year with no problems whatsoever - this has not stopped me from spending much time in the garage upgrading and generally enjoying looking after it - just depends on what you want really

if you gave the average road car as much stick as a well put together westfield the road car will on avaerage cost a lot more to run - you have to weigh up the fact that you will be running an additional car however

mine is a bog standard duratec other than throttle bodies which is pretty darned quick as standard so in theory should last forever

an elise reliable needing little work doing ....... my sides are splitting .....

a certain westy owners new elise lasted a week before its first trip back to the garage , and after many years with both elises and westfields at the same time , my westfield was way more reliable as a track car , never needed anything except servicing , and would do day after day after day , but then its last full rebuild i adressed every weak area and built it right .

You are correct but thats because alot of westfields aren't built to be solid track cars ,  caterhams seem to fair even better .

elises cost fortunes to service properly ( we find servicing our S4 audi cheaper than the elise , in fact overall running is proberbly alot less pricey for a much bigger car) .

once i rebuilt my westfield nothing broke for over 2 years of fairly hard track use , and i bet the current owner does not felltle much but just services it .

an elise reliable needing little work doing ....... my sides are splitting .....

Who said they were reliable?

Come on Harv, read the posts properly!

The OP didn't ask about a track only car - he wanted a weekend toy that can also do trackdays in.

It's only my opinion, but unless you also enjoy the 'hobby' side of Caterfield ownership they are just to impractical and require to be 'nurtured'.

Mind you; if the OP asks a question on a Westfield forum I don't think he can expect an impartial reply.

Maybe you could post up a buyer`s guide in FAQ`S ....   :oops:   .... and while you`re in there delete the entire water rail fitting thread instead of just removing posts from it ....  :t-up:  

Harv`s Parrot  :D:D  :D

If I knew how to deleate a thread I would do so but can't figure it out  ???

I love the reliability debates, i've got me snacks and beer and settled in for a long run.....

Seriously though, these things like any car are as reliable as the investment in them. As Harv says, a well built one will be fine and as Nikpro says these are the result of some clever and not so clever people nailing bits of ford and Vauxhall together in a different manor other than originally directed.

Im my experience of westfields todate (i've owned a few now) the focus for most people when buying is always on the engine, which makes me laught every time. In truth you should be looking at the package, and i don't want to sound like i'm lecturing, but in the FAQ section there are buyers guides, might be worth a read if not already done.

You sound like a sensible chap that has done some homework and given it a fair bit of thought to be honest so i suspect we are now all adding to the confusion rather than the clarity. But you are 100% right, go to a meet and talk to the owners and try a few.

The sigma engine is good and on the road and odd track day, will hold it's own very easily. This is not to say it is the best, just that it will meet your current requirements. Other benefits that may swing it, would be that a relatively low power output means less stress on other components so should help with "reliability". It should also be a more modern car, equiped for the road predominatly and importantly easy to sell on if after 1 year you decide that the out and out track weapon with granade spec engine is the way forward.

Anyways good luck and welcolm.

i wouldn't state that elises were reliable , and i wouldn't say westfields were unreliable .....

but both will cost you to make sure they are like that .

most of the reliable westfield i have seen are meticulous fair budget builds ..... do anything on the cheap and you'll find it will proberbly fail sooner ...

and building a good kit comes alot of the time from finding out what works with what ,and your level of build quality ....

Can I just clarify - a well built Westfield is not unreliable.

Harv; I believe your car was very track focused and had stiff springs - this would probably make it less than ideal on britians public Roads.

The Engine map in most ECU's on a Westfield has probably seen a 3hr Rolling Road session at best to obtain it's map. (mine has to have a very quick 'blip' on the throttle when starting for it to obtain a smooth idle from cold and no matter how much the maps are eddited it won't go away)

What I'm trying to say is that most main stream manufacturers spend a considerable amount of money on the development of the cars to reach the end result - not one single Westfield can matcch that!

As such our cars all have idosyncranacies (?) that we live with because we love the hobby - no self cancelling indicators, no heaters or heaters that don't work, wipers that dont clear the windscreen, a hood that is like errecting a deck chair, leaks water all over the place..........the list goes on and they are not what we would accept in a production car.

The cars can be reliable but most people that aren't 'garagista' get frustrated by this little 'niggles' where as we learn to live with them and enjoy trying to iron them out.

The development of a Westfield is done by the owner - who moulds the vehicle to suit themselves via upgrades/fettling etc - if there is no interest in this area then the Vehicle can quickly become an irratable bore.

Maybe a more appropriate question for the OP might be on Piston Heads - 'Who used to own a Seven type car and why did you sell it/what did you replace it with'