Is Westfield right for me?

Scottie - NW

Hi, think I may know a few of you from the NW Pistonheads meets, is Boghouse Blue now called Scott Beeland?

My daily car is a late shape S14a 200sx, and I'm just about to drop a fully forged engine into it, will make a RR 380bhp with this on the existing turbo & injectors etc. Will make 440bhp with 740 injectors and slightly differtent turbo. I use this for pleasure, trackdays, the Ring a few weeks ago and also shopping and school run :-) It's obviously been seen to in other areas, 8 pot front brakes, Nismo suspension, uprated ARB's, light 17's, rear brake conversion, bracing etc etc.

I want a fun car for weekends that I can also use with my little boy. I don't want a motorbike as his safety and mine would be too compromised.

I have up to 10k, I also have garage space but I want something reliable I don't have to work on. I have noticed a few factory built 1600 sigma's approaching this figure of 10k, which are very appealing.

The 200sx is license loosing, so I'm more looking for a really well balanced drivers car, that I can tow to trackdays and should I want to sprint etc the sigma seems a better choice?

I would imagine a lot of you have also had expereince of similar other cars, such as VX's, Elises, etc.

What advice would you give, is the Westfield a bit too impractical for overnight trips to the Lakes and Scotland for me and a primary school aged child?

All advice very much appreciated as I'm stuck with this decision!! :-)

thanks.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nikpro

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• Cleggy the Spyder Man

• Scottie - NW

Hi there, I think I'm well qualified to take answer this as a former 200sx owner, the earlier S13 and S14 models in my early 20's.

I managed to lose my license in the S14 too :blush:

I had the S14 tuned to 300bhp, used it as a daily driver but it wasn't cheap on petrol, ended up selling to buy property. Always wanted a seven type car as a 2nd car, standard tin top for the daily commute.

The Westie is an awesome weekend/blat car, great on track and relatively cheap to maintain. It'll cope with weekends away with your little one, you'll have to pack light though.

Depending on his age you may have to look into a booster cushion of some sort, I'm sure others can advise on that.

For £10k I'd be looking at a 2nd hand decent spec VX/Zetec/V8, possibly Duratec engined Westie.

Lastly, welcome :t-up:

is Boghouse Blue now called Scott Beeland

yeah, but we still call him Boghouse  :laugh:

i have a 3 year old and have his proper car seat in it.... you do get some funny stares!

i can well recommend a westfield. for an overnight i would car the car is fine as long as you can travel light!

both me and him love it!

cheers

john

Thanks very much for the answers. The reason the Sigma appeals so much is that they are fairly new (2006) and factory built.

I'd also imagine it will hold it's value very well over the next few years compared to other types of car at the 10k mark, and be cheap to run.

I'm particularly interested to hear people's view of the Sigma version. The only competition in my mind is a S1 Elise (if I went S2 I'd want the Toyota 190bhp and that's out of budget) or the VX220 Turbo.

I need the lightness, because I have a towbar for the 200sx, but with that only weighing 1260kg, I'm limited what I can tow :-)

Cheers,

Scott.

P.S. Do the Westfields meet anywhere else now that they have stopped coming to the NW PS meets?

If it was me I would be going for a medium spec duratec (maybe just in budget) - this would give you great scope for future upgrades especially in the BHP department - the best of the bunch for everyday use - you may however struggle to get one but they have been about around that price level in the last six months

Or for that sort of money you could get a very high spec VX/Zetec with loads of mods and developments - just have to remember that the more highly tuned and higher spec the car is the more it will cost to put right - having said that the cars are so light that with regular maintenance and a bit of love they are fairly trouble free -

keep your eye out for a well sorted one - and make sure you post up in here before you go have a look at one as the cars for sale are often known by fellow enthusiasts on here

Whichever way you will have bucket loads of fun in the car - and the club side of things (I can only speak of my part of the country) is excellent with regular blats out and meetings - some great people in the WSCC all willing to help  :t-up: with a great community feel - I have met loads of great friends since joining which was an unexpected bonus to the joy of ownership

Also bear in mind that your 440bhp 1260kg 200sx has a power to weight ratio of 349 bhp/ton.  To match this acceleration on a Westy would mean 190bhp ish in theory on a light car, except that the Westy will corner much faster and stop far quicker.  So in terms of track day performance, you probably would be surprised how a fairly basic Westy would lap compared to your 200sx.  You regular see basic Westys passing M3's etc on track days.

Forgot to add - IMHO the only drawback is that it will never 'feel' as quick as the 200sx as you won't have the sensation of the turbo kicking in.

Also - welcome and get spending!! :t-up:  :t-up:

If it were me, I'd break the SX. Put the best bit (The Engine) into a Westfield and get yourself a more sensible daily driver. In all seriousness do you really enjoy your 440Bhp weapon on your commute to the office?

I did exactly the same. I had a 400+Bhp Astra as a daily driver which was totally pointless. So pulled I pullted the engine out and stuck it in a Westfield (Which is also pretty pointless TBH). I broke the rest of the car and it almost paid for the Westy.

Ditch the SX, run the engine at 300Bhp in a Westy and it'll last forever, whereas at 440Bhp pulling your heavy SX about it'll only be good for a few years.

a decent 10k westy would toast your SX on the road , your talking bike performance , my old car changed hands for the 10k mark was rock solid reliable full of carbon and over 400bhp per ton ...

on track you's have abliterated  the nissan to the point of tears ...

you need to drive a few westfields to get the idea , as there are fast westfields and then there are FAST westfields

all in my honest opinion ,  but then we have a 360bhp daily driver  as well as a 911 and a diesel ...

I'd ditch the nissan and spend on a decent spec westfield , with a decent daily drive ,but it sounds like you have blown the money on an engine already , which you won't recoup i doubt.

Scottie....Boghouse (aka Scott Beeland) here  :laugh:

No advice for you as to what to do with the 200sx (Think I would sell rather than break though) but if you are set on keeping the engine then you need to speak to the Triple S guys (Andy at CAT motorsport) as he fittede the very thing into his previous car. Don't forget you will need to factor in the costs of conversion to suit your sx engine (Bellhousing/ gearbox/ clutch/ mounts/ loom/maybe an ecu etc)

There are so many engine variants out there that will give the performance you want; but unless you want a screamer (I'm thinking bike engines here) then Id say you want to be looking at VX XE or Duratec engine cars for starters; on the basis that there are lots of them about.

Or you could stretch your budget to 14.5k and have my 250 brake VX220 Turbo.

I haven't been to the Wheatsheaf meet for a long time now; since moving to the wirral :down:  but I don't think the westfields go now.

You should look to go to the wirral or Manchester meets to speak to some great guys; and get some car rides to help you decide your direction.

Or you could buy my car ;)

Scottie....Boghouse (aka Scott Beeland) here  :laugh:

No advice for you as to what to do with the 200sx (Think I would sell rather than break though) but if you are set on keeping the engine then you need to speak to the Triple S guys (Andy at CAT motorsport) as he fittede the very thing into his previous car. Don't forget you will need to factor in the costs of conversion to suit your sx engine (Bellhousing/ gearbox/ clutch/ mounts/ loom/maybe an ecu etc)

There are so many engine variants out there that will give the performance you want; but unless you want a screamer (I'm thinking bike engines here) then Id say you want to be looking at VX XE or Duratec engine cars for starters; on the basis that there are lots of them about.

Or you could stretch your budget to 14.5k and have my 250 brake VX220 Turbo.

I haven't been to the Wheatsheaf meet for a long time now; since moving to the wirral :down:  but I don't think the westfields go now.

You should look to go to the wirral or Manchester meets to speak to some great guys; and get some car rides to help you decide your direction.

Or you could buy my car ;)

Hi Scott, nice to hear from you.

I think you've got confused, the 200sx project is my daily drive and completely seperate from my 2nd car decision, of which Westfield is favourite at the moment.

However, you've just given me an idea I hadn't thought about...

...after all my work on the 200sx is complete in a few months I will have a good SR20DET engine spare that is running 319bhp proven on a DYno Dynamics road, plus I will have a spare gearbox, T28 turbo, injectors etc etc, even have the callipers, dics, wheels, the lot spare.

Should I be considering a cheaper Westfield with a low power or not as popular engine and then swap in the SR20DET?

Not sure what I'd be taking on here, I'm not that mechanically minded, is this a good idea???

Help,

Scott.

If you are not too mechanically minded; you have 3 obvious choices here.

Either

Find (and pay someone) to do the work for you.

Rope some mechanically minded mates into helping you get the mods/ install done.

Sell the Nissan lump and get yerself a VX XE; Duratec or similar westfield that is already done.

Choice is yours here.....

But if you are considering the Nissan lump then I would strongly suggest you send a message to Andy Rushworth (CAT Motorsport) on here for some advice on technicalities/ sourcing bits/ right chassied westfield to base your project on.

Welcome to the fold though....Whichever way we get you into a Westfield; you can bet yer a** it will put a huge smile on yer face