Performance figures

shaun

Sad question:  Does anyone have performance figures for a speedsport 155bhp zetec.

0-100? and standing 1/4 of a mile.

Pub talk: A friend of mine reckons his Subara Impreza 200bhp is quicker.  Is this true?

'Westfield - The story'  quotes figures for older cars, but unfortunately doen't include the speedsport.

Just walk him through the maths:

Westy wet weight approx 600kg (call it 0.6 tonnes)@155bhp = 258BHP/T power to weight ratio. 

Scooby weight approx 1750kg (call it 1.75 tonnes), so to acheive the same power to weight ratio of the Westy, a scooby needs to produce 451bhp, which they don't, its more like 115BHP/T for 200bhp or 171BHP/T for 300bhp.... so the Westy is the better performing car - of course. :D

Regards

John

The MegaBLADE Site

The Subaru would be quicker over the 1st 60ft thanks to it's 4WD traction. Best I've ever got is 2.23s and I seem to remember Clarkey recording his Impreza down in the 2.1s.

I'd expect the 155bhp Westfield to be quicker over the 0-60mph.

1/4 mile-wise I'd guess at a late 13s time for the Westfield and and late 14/early 15 for the Subaru. Course, ask Ian, he'll know straight off.....

I don't know about the 0-100 and 1/4 mile times, but the Westfield quoted 0-60 for the speedsport is 5.4 seconds, while the Subarau quoted 0-60 for the impreza is about 6.4 seconds.

Tell you're mate, I'll see him in my mirrors!

I think your guesses are about right for the 1/4 Graeme. However a Subaru should easily go under 2 seconds for the first 60ft, probably around 1.7/1.8.  My best is 2.04 on list 1A tyres in my Westfield and I can do pretty consistent 2.1s.

Ian

Theres an Evo 5 thats a regular at Curborough and he generally gets 1.8x for first 64ft times.

John

Well, it's not like I listen when Clarkey talks, I just knew the 4WD things were quicker over the 64ft.

2.1s/2.04s?  :0  And that's without traction control on List 1A? bl**** ####, how wide are your tyres? In the Speed Series most people did consistent 2.3s on List 1A, to dip under that you'd have to hook up the start perfectly but I don't think I ever saw anyone go under 2.2s.

Go on Ian, tell us your secret  ;)

No secret.  The timing works differently at Santa pod and at Sprints. At the pod you have to move about 12-18" before the timing starts.  At a sprint it is about 6-8" if you are lined up properly.  My best 64ft at a sprint is 2.32.

Ian

Hmmm, I have two axes to grind here ....

Kerb weight of the Subaru Impreza STi is approx. 1275Kg and thus has a power to weight ratio of about 220bhp/tonne whereas a UK spec Impreza Turbo has a power to weight ratio of 163 bhp/tonne.

The Sti is not quite so far behind the Westfield on this ratio but the UK version is a long way back. However, it is not all about BHP is it? (is it??). Surely torque must also be important here, and the Subaru has this in bucketfulls. My SpeedSport produces 143 lb ft at 5100 RPM but the STi Impreza produces 260 lb ft at 4000 RPM. and the UK spec. Impreza achieves 214 lb ft at 4000 RPM.

Truth to tell, I do not know whether the torque is the deciding factor but I can tell you that the STi despite it's lower power to weight ratio will (sadly!!;) leave my Westfield SpeedSport behind in the 0-60 charge without side stepping the clutches of either car.

subart.gif

I can't talk figures but my Blade is considerably quicker than my UK MY2000 Impreza ever was. I live right next to a Sytner BMW dealership and just the other day I was lined up at the lights next to a very tricked up WRX. There was a brand new M3 behind us and we all had a go. Sure enough the Scooby shot off but I soon passed him. Once we hit about 90MPH the Beemer left us for dead.

Of course, at the second roundabout I span the bl**** thing and the Impreza shot off again. b******* :arse:

For down the pub talk though, I can not brag that my Westy will cruise to work at 120 down the A46 after a night of heavy snow. It wont do 143 MPH either.

ooohps, sorry Steve, got the figures off the Subaru UK web site (sad or what). Must have read them wrong..... :D

Regards

John

The MegaBLADE Site

Don't know about the torque either, I mean my Mega produces a massive 65ftlbs at the back wheels....and it doesn't feel too bad on the accl front......

Don't know about the torque either, I mean my Mega produces a massive 65ftlbs at the back wheels....and it doesn't feel too bad on the accl front......

Read the 'Torque vs Horsepower' article on my website www.seight.com to see why power to weight is mostly what matters.

Ian

So the Subaru is quicker, but only for the first 64ft due to 4 wheel traction.

The Subaru has a relatively poor power to weight ratio (compared to the Westy), but however seems to deliver the power in terms of accelerating through the gears.  For example the Subaru Impreza Turbo accelerates considerably quicker than a Honda Type R with a similar power to weight ratio (Turbo vs normal aspirated engine revving upto 9000rpm).  Again compare the Golf V6 4motion with the Impreza - much slower.

Where does the Impreza Turbo get its power from?

I have the type R and the Imprezza is quicker with the 0-60 but the Type R will catch it up and (depending on bottle of drivers) get past as it's quite a bit lighter. Mind you it can get a bit scary on corners which a Subaru is better at. If you have never been in a type R when it hits 6000 RPM and the VTEC kick in, you have never lived.

Anyway, whats all the 0-60 penis measuring about, we all know, given the right conditions what we would be driving. I'm just sad I didn't get the dust cover of me westy this morning 'cause it's nice in my neck of the woods today