Quick lift jack photos.

dhutch

The more i work on the westfeild the more im aware it would be so much nicer to work on if it was a foot higher up!

Currently to do this i need to go round with the trolley jack and four axle stands. But people keep saying i should have a quick lift jack or ramps.

Well there expensive. So i thought i might have a go at making one.

I guess a side and plan view would be usfull, as well as suggested atachiveable heights.

(knowing me i'll make it 2ft lift, and the put my back out every time i lift it)

Daniel

If you weren't so Tall Daniel you wouldn,t have a problem!! dig a moat round the wesfield and you will be OK then.

Neil

I think a dry moat around the drive would work quite well for working on the car.

- The only problem is that i doubt i will not be able to claim it on my expenses anymore which makes it a bit costly, espcially considering i move out of this house at the end of next month!

Mark, is the build trolley not a fairly long term thing?

Im after something i can slide under the car while its on the drive to lift it while i work on it for maybe a few hours, then drop it down.

To get the effect of puting it on four stands, but fast!

Hence i was thinking of making a pair of quicklift jacks.

Daniel

Quick google search produced the following...

http://hamercarlift.com/

100-1921.JPG

About a grand...

Contact Brian :

01706 812025

e-mail : hamercarlift@yahoo.co.uk

2 off 3m lifters

Special price of £1000 + VAT £1150.00

This for 4' legs, giving lift of 3'4"

If you want 5' legs giving 4'2" add £109.25

I want!! :p

I know of somebody who dug a trench under their car in their garage and cover it with planks/ carpet when not in use.

Dom

They are all very cool and all that. But im aiming to drop the spending from £150 odd (two quick lifts) to about £20 (some secondhand steel and my time) rather than raise it to around the value of the car! :p

I was thinking about basing it around the rally designs one, but just wondering if anyone had anything simular but diffrent. And what sort of hights/lifts i should be aiming for.

jackproduct.jpg

Daniel

That sort of lift will barely get the wheels off the ground... I use one for my single seater but they are really for cars with very low ground clearance (40-50mm) and will lift my car from there to about 150mm up but as a Westfield front chassis member/rear diff is already about 100-120mm up then, with the suspension droop included, the tyres could still be touching, it certainly won't be a foot higher up which is what you said you wanted...

I always used a trolley jack at one end to put it on axle stands and then round to the other end and do the same  :t-up:

Get a pair of car ramps in Halfords for working on the car when you need to get underneath and don't need to take the wheels off  ;)

Yeah, well this why i was thinking of making myown.

- If i (say) doubled the lenght of the 'uprights' such that they where still at a relatively shallow angle when they came into contact with the undeside (4" up) and then with a decent lever lenght could lift it to maybe 12-14inchs clearence. Then ive got a decent 8-10inchs lift, wheels well clear, and room to slide underneath as well. Designing the jack to go sufficently over center as to be as secure as any axle stand.

Daniel

I hope you're strong then, lifting the front of a Westfield from 4" to 14" is going to need 4 blokes or an arm 12ft long  :t-up:

I hope you're strong then, lifting the front of a Westfield from 4" to 14" is going to need 4 blokes or an arm 12ft long  :t-up:

Well maybe, thats sort of why i was wondering if anyone else had done it.

However if the westfeild 500kg, 60/40 split, 300kg at the front.

- Then if i wieght 75kg a 5:1 advantage sees me lift it.  

- So for a 10inch lift i need about 50inchs movment which is 4ft.

Maybe its a bit of an ask. But if push down my own body weight over distance of 4ft i get my lift? Maybe...

Crikey, for a nearly graduated engineering student this is all sounding a bit pack-of-a-fag packet.   Wheres my welder?

Daniel

Like the idea of this, but wouldn't that 50" of movement need to come from ~60 degrees of travel around the diameter of the circle traveled by the end of the lever, i.e. the lever would have to be much bigger, or is that canceled out by the fact the lift end is also following a circle?

Can you can tell I am no mech. eng graduate  :suspect:  

Kev

Yes your right, that fact that its all moving in an ark effects it.

- If the bit lifting the car was straight with the lever i should all cancel out i think. Harder at the start to lift the car, but the lever would be in the best position. Then as they bot for vertical it get easier for both.

- However in practice the lever would start at maybe 50-60deg once you had taken the platform up to meet the car, then end up flat by the end. However the first bit (which should be hardest) from say 55 to 40ish would be aided somewhat by the suspention.

Basicaly, It might work, but proberbly need a second go to actually get it about right!

Daniel