Start button

brindle

I am going to be installing a carbon mods dash over the next few weeks and fancy fitting a start button to go with a few snazzy savage switches.

I know people have done this, my idiot questions are:

which cables do i disconnect from the ignition. :durr:

the second question is that i assume that you just need to turn the ignition key to the second stage of ignition and then press the button, i assume you dont have to hold the key against the spring in the barrel as you would with the exisitng ignition as that would be daft. :durr:  :durr:

I also assume that fitting this doesn't compromise the security of the car?? :durr:  :durr:

Ta for all advice recieved

My unhelpful comment:

I've just got rid of mine - it was wired in parallel so that you could either start using the key, or the push button. Either way, the ignition had to be "on" at the key. Just figure out which wires get joined together by the key to get the starter to turn and then hook up a parallel connection to the button to do the same thing.

I decided that since the key was still necessary the start button seemed pointless so I turned it into the horn button instead! Less stuff on the dash.

You replace the ignition key with a doomsday swith which would be the first turn of the key and the push button is to start the engine. For security I use a battery cut out switch. Dont know about the elecrical stuff, but I guess its logical. Ian.

Mine is also set up so that you have to have the key in (first of one position) before it works.

- Although oddly, the relay it drives works without the key in, but the car doesnt start!

I like it, because although you still need the key (a good thing imo!) you have faster starts when it stalls again (esp in the cold, as on carbs with not choke provision) and also for diagnositic/garage work.

Basicaly, you after replacing the 'turn and hold' position of the key swtich with said button, i would have thought.

Daniel

I was planning to do the same thing brindle, I had no intention in keeping the Key ignition though, can you not just replace the key with the push start?

With regards to security I have a battery cut out switch & a key that cuts the fuel line.

Hi, got one myself from flebay easy to fit as well, I got mine because the ignition is awkward to get to and as mentioned its easy to push if you stall. You can use the key or button but the ignition has to be turned on

Neil

a good method would be install a good immobiliser then as mentioned a doomsday switch with pushbutton start..plenty of security, oh and why not fit a removable sterring wheel too just for extra piece of mind..

Just done this and thanks to Matt Seabrook for doing a lovely job welding up my removable steering wheel too.

I agree, this is the place you want to go.

The only thing to say about removing the key altogether is that firstly, that will reduce security (virtually to nil if you don't also install a removable steering wheel).  Secondly, you'll have to remove the barrel from the column altogether so that you don't need the key for the steering lock.

The wiring's dead easy.  Only note of caution: for some reason on mine the colour of the wires inverted either side of the connector from loom to ignition switch.  On the loom side the switched ignition circuit (accessories etc) was white and red but the corresponding wire on the bundle from the ignition switch was brown.  The 12V feed from the loom was brown but on the other side of the connector it was white!  Make sure you wire it the right way round!

I'd also recommend a relay.  I've got a nice big high current push starter but it suddenly occured to me I didn't know about the weather rating; as I didn't fancy connecting myself to a 35A circuit through a wet switch in the rain, a relay seemed the sensible thing. :t-up:

I have fitted a Caterham red start button (cheaper from Farnells - order 3 and sell 2). Just use the outside terminals on the starter switch and wire one (with Schotchlock or better) to the large white ignition wire from the ignition switch barrel. Then cut the white/red starter solenoid wire near the ignition switch, insulate the short cut end at the ignition switch, and then connect the other side of the start button to the white/red wire to the starter solenoid. No need for a relay with this Caterham switch. Wiring it this way, the engine won't start if you turn the key to it's normal start position, the start switch takes care of the final key turn.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Good reason for fitting one, you cant reach the normal switch when you are secured with 4 point harness

Which was as my problem too  :D

Rory's Dad