Potential reacquaintance with a 91 SE

Thanks for all the input people.

Opted for the R888's partly as they look nice.   :blush:

A quick update on the other rubber items which have had no real use since their installation.  One of the rear brake cylinders had started leaking due to seal perishing.  The cam belt has started to crack, but all the hoses actually seem in pretty good condition.  Fuel lines are all braided or copper.

When I sold it it had an overheating issue, but this was resolved due to crap in rad.  They also did a bodge job of brazing an additional pulley to water pump pulley and whacking a small fixed direct drive fan which was badly done and I cannot believe it a) survived without falling off and b) did not cause the water pump to fail as I doubt very much it was central or balanced.  

Other than that it is great to get it back and looking forward to the lovely sunshine at the weekend.    :cool:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• archersam

• perksy

• stu999

• RedditchJay

Stu that me laugh a lot.  I picked it today after all the work and other than having tyres that make it handle like it is on ice it felt so different.  Just annoyed that I had to do so many favours for people as well as collecting a free reclaimed wooden floor from a skip so could not enjoy the sunshine.  

New tyres at 8am providing it does not rain then a nice sedate drive in the Kent countryside  :cool:

Double check the fuel hoses especially the braided ones, under the braid it's still rubber. Mine looked ok but after several problems a REALLY close look showed them to be disintergrating internally.

When I sold it it had an overheating issue, but this was resolved due to crap in rad.  

How often do you have to do that? :D

Oh that hurts laughing that hard  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

When I sold it it had an overheating issue, but this was resolved due to crap in rad.  

should have fitted a dump valve  :p

should have fitted a dump valve  :p

Please stop, I'm struggling to see through the tears and my ribs ache  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Great looking car, look forward to seeing you at the Surrey meet. :)

I agree, every time I see  a great "traditional/original" example like this, with the swept wings, chrome & Minilite's I'm reminded just how good they look.

Thanks for the laughs guys and for the compliments on the car.  After all those years it is still in good condition although the chrome and ally panels need a little TLC to get them up to the standard I would like.

A BIG thanks to those who suggested new tyres, I put R888's on it Saturday morning and it was transformed.  I had a great day getting used to it after my TT and then the heavens opened on me so I got to test the R888's in the wet as well and was nicely surprised.   Looking forward to some nice weather now........

Double check the fuel hoses especially the braided ones, under the braid it's still rubber. Mine looked ok but after several problems a REALLY close look showed them to be disintergrating internally.

second that idea...

mine can't have been proper fuel hose, but it was sold to me as exactly that.  i fitted it and thought no more about it, but then it started weeping at the carb where it went through a tighter bend.. then at the bend by the fuel tank....  

proper fuel hose - my A***!

have now got some high pressure non braided hose :-)

can see the hose condition to check it better now!

• 3 years later...

Wow, time flies. I've had her back 4 years now and not really had a lot of use out of her due to having to temporarily live in Bristol and now London, but she has seen a little bit of action over last few weekends. 

When I built this in the early 90's it was on a relative tight budget, in that the engine came from a breaker having been cut out of a Cortina along with the uprights, hubs etc and plonked into a trailer. I created the wiring by taking a Dolomite sprint loom and instruments and shortened it.  The fuel tank is a shortened Mini van one which has a tiny capacity and is a nightmare to fill up.  Thought would throw up some pictures of the build etc.

westy38.jpg

halfenginefrontview.jpg

rearaxleinsitu.jpg

rollingchassisingarage.jpg

rearbracing.jpg

rollingchassiswithhalfengine.jpg

rollingchassissideview.jpg