Potential reacquaintance with a 91 SE

Hello all,

Just thought I would say hello as very likely to be a more active member shortly.  

Bit of background: I finished building an SE in mid 93 when I was 23, but sold a neighbour's brother in law in 99 as it was just not getting any use as I was working away.  Anyway long story short he has not really been using it either and has offered it back to me.

Saw it last night for the first time in almost 10 years and it has hardly changed at all, he has only done another 2000 miles since I sold it so the mileage is 5700!   It was all very odd seeing it and remembering how I made that thingymajig to overcome the problem that I had encountered as the build manual was not really that descriptive.

Once the deal is done I will dig out some build photos and some current photos.

Sam

p.s is their an active Kent group as could not see one at all?  I used to be a member and also went on an excellent Le Mans trip in 95 where we stayed in a lovely Chateau in the sticks.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• archersam

• perksy

• stu999

• RedditchJay

Most kent members attend the Surrey club meets.

We're a friendly bunch, but your car must be blue if your from kent  :laugh:

• 2 months later...

Wooohooo, no longer "potential".  After some lengthy negotiation I have done the deal to get my old car back.  I collect it this weekend and am very excited.  :p

I purposefully have been quiet on here and not posted pictures as the current owner wanted a lot more money than I had budget and was going to advertise elsewhere.  

Once it is in my possession I will post a nice lengthy build history as I have LOTS of pictures as it was built over 18 months.

p.s it is red with clam shells

I picked up the old girl this morning and had a blast cross country on lovely fast winding roads, a small jaunt on motorway (until remembered why I never used to use them before so got off at next junction) then fun making enough space in my garage to fit it in.  Face hurts from the smiling.    :cool:

She then deposited coolant all over the floor so I decided that she needs some effort to get her back to the excellent state she deserves to be in.  

It is 1.6 Pinto, I finished her in 93 then she has been owned by someone else for last 11 years during which she only did 2000 miles.  In total 5700miles.  

Plan is to change all of the fluids and the water pump as I suspect it is the cause of leak as nowhere else is obvious and give it a good going over on a ramp as well as the various belts (just in case have perished).

Tyres seem in good nick, no obvious flat spots and walls in seemingly good condition.  

Anything else you can recommend to double check when it is on the ramps that is known to go wrong when not used for 2.5 years.

Pending a detailed write up from my memory and lots of build piccies here are some pictures.....

Sam

westy11-1.jpg

WestyatLeMans.jpg

Westywithtonneaucover.jpg

Anything else you can recommend to double check when it is on the ramps that is known to go wrong when not used for 2.5 years.

Assuming the storage conditons have been good, the only thing that will deteriorate regardless is anything made of rubber. I would personally look at putting some new tyres on, even if the present tyres *look* OK. They will definately be past their best grip wise - and every little helps, especially on a light car :t-up:

BIN the tyres BEFORE they bin you into a ditch.......

new toyo rubber or similar will improve the feel and ride no end

Thanks guys, new rubbers all round is it then!  

Next question, I am running Yoko AVS 185/60/13 so what does everyone else recommend at this size?   Car is standard 1.6 pinto with 40's but standard otherwise.  Live axle.

Thanks guys, new rubbers all round is it then!  

Next question, I am running Yoko AVS 185/60/13 so what does everyone else recommend at this size?   Car is standard 1.6 pinto with 40's but standard otherwise.  Live axle.

Will you be doing any track days or will the tyres just be for fast road use    ???