Tell us about your latest upgrade

Cleggy the Spyder Man

Started latest mod last night ... fitting of westfield carbon look rear lights ... so far so good with one hole done and soldering iron arrived yesterday off of ebay

Due to unforseen circumstances (its really not my fault) ive decided to stop poncing around and do the job properley! so Carbon Air box as on the R500 (this is  :cool: you wouldent belive how quite the induction is now!) Carbon nose, Carbon indicator pods, Carbon front wings and when the moulds are made Carbon rear wings  :cool:  :love:

I fetched my car back from Northampton Motorsport this afternoon. It achieved 237 bhp (at the flywheel) at 7,800 rpm. That is with the Westfield airfilter, which fits inside the bonnet. Troy was going to fit a larger airfilter, and cut the bonnet out to fit; however it only made 2 or 3 bhp more, and the increase in noise from induction roar was such that at some tracks it might have fallen foul of the noise meter for trackdays, so left the air filter as standard for now. I haven't driven it yet, but hope to have a run tomorrow, before loton Park on Saturday.

wow sounds mega m8 ...let's hope you don't s**t yer pants with all that power ... enjoy I am very envious  :t-up:

have one side rear light nearly fitted now ... looks the business

I fetched my car back from Northampton Motorsport this afternoon. It achieved 237 bhp (at the flywheel) at 7,800 rpm. That is with the Westfield airfilter, which fits inside the bonnet. Troy was going to fit a larger airfilter, and cut the bonnet out to fit; however it only made 2 or 3 bhp more, and the increase in noise from induction roar was such that at some tracks it might have fallen foul of the noise meter for trackdays, so left the air filter as standard for now. I haven't driven it yet, but hope to have a run tomorrow, before loton Park on Saturday.

Good result Stephen     :t-up:

Out of interest what Torque figure did it achieve   ???

237 brake in the Wet at Loton might be fun    :D     :oops:    :oops:    :D

Out of interest what Torque figure did it achieve   ???

Dynos just measure torque at the rear wheels - you have to convert it to rear wheel power and then to flywheel power.

From Wikipedia:

Torque (lbft.ft) = (power (hp) x 33000) / (2 * pi * rpm)

So, 237hp @ 7800rpm is 159lbft.ft

Is that a 2.0L Duratec? What did you assume the percentage loss was from flywheel to rear wheels?

(Yes, I'm a engineer / pinhead / geek)

Cheers

Jamie

Troy's rolling road does those calculations, by measuring (IIRC) the transmission braking, or drag, from peak revs.

Perksy, max torque (at flywheel) is now 169.5 lb-ft at 6,300 rpm, up from 150 at 5,550 rpm.

Below 3,000 rpm, the power and torque are down from what it was, with a big dip at 2,550 which is due to unfavourable harmonics in the induction (prob induction rather than exhaust) but from 3,000 to 4,500 there is a bit more than there used to be except for another lesser adverse harmonic dip at 4,400.

From 4,500 the power and torque curves just take off very steadily, right up to the new rev limit of 8,000rpm.

Thanks for that Stephen, I am already thinking the old pinto is a little on the whimpy side, now all I need is you coming flying past me on the next Cannock run.

Thanks for that Stephen, I am already thinking the old pinto is a little on the whimpy side, now all I need is you coming flying past me on the next Cannock run.

Went out at lunchtime, Fent, as I thought I ought to actually drive it on a damp road in its new spec, before I arrive at Loton tomorrow and make a fool of myself! The thrust in the back once the engine was spinning above 5,000 rpm was actually frightening at first. So much so that even though I was on roads I know very well, it was a few miles before I dared to light the first, green, shift light and there are 6 of them, set at 150 rpm intervals. I eventually dared to get the first amber light on, momentarily. That's only 7,300 if I remember correctly, and I was on a full width main road! If it is wet tomorrow I dont think I will be trying too hard!

now I am even more envious ... do you mind me asking what total costs were all in to get engine to that spec (inc set-up and exhaust etc) PM me if you would rather ... cheers ..and still really envious ... umm still envious ...cant get it out of my head ... arrgghhh gonna drive me mad  :p

Cleggy, I'll tell you some time, but it'll only make it worse for you! What I will say is I dont think I would recommend it for someone who just wants a fast fun road car. It is a bit extreme for that, probably better with a bit less valve lift etc for that. However as a trackday tool, or as a road legal and usable hillclimb car it is awesome. And that is what I was looking for. It wont be as easy to drive on the public road as yours, and less pleasant going through towns and villages, and in heavy traffic because of the reduction in torque below 3,000 rpm.

So if you are primarily interested in a fast fun road car you might be better getting a more efficient exhaust, and spending some money ensuring your car is set up on the ecu to run at its maximum efficiency at all engine speeds.

yeah but no but  ;)

Ok here's the progress with carbon look rear lights

Caravan rear lights shown here

SANY0392.jpg

so far one side fitted:-

Old holes filled and new holes drill and finished with a tapered tube that I found in the garage

SANY0686.jpg

Annoying that you have to drill into the tub for the inner light

SANY0690.jpg

Finished  one side - just gotta sort the other side, the fog and reverse lights then decide what I am going to do about the high level brake light ... not sure if I can be arsed trying to get the wiring through the RAC roll bar or not ... I see most people tend to cable tie the wiring onto the outside of the roll bar ...

SANY0689.jpg

fitted small dominator headlights used std wetfield harness just needed to add connectors for side lights to plug into harness main bulb connections the same. all worked first time very bright. 2 years to mot to sort out alighnment.My Webpage