Newbie requires a helping hand!

gbduo

If it's your time to it's your time to go! But as some one else said if people are so concerned about having a roll bar for safety then surley the safest thing is to buy a "sensible" car!

Not only this but why are people so concerned about having a RAC roll bar fitted for that off chance acident but they are not at all concerned by being T boned which let's face it is far more likely and could be just as devasting if not more so!

Bottom line if we concerned about every posible senario we would never actually live our lives.

As for compromises :-

1. Really don't like the look

2. All the messing about fitting the suporting struts nearly into the boot box

3. Having a smaller boot box ( I carry my hood everywhere)

4. If can't be bothered with 2 not having a boot box at all

I am perfectly happy not having a RAC rollbar I enjoy the car and I drive quickly and I feel as safe as you can be in a westi but that's my choice I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gbduo

• Cleggy the Spyder Man

• James

• perksy

Ive had westi's for years too many to count! o.k I am getting old <!--emo&:p and I have never had a RAC rollbar fitted.

It is very rare that a Westi is rolled and tends to be more about bad luck and the wrong set of circumstances than anything else. sure theres always a  posabiity of it happening (never say never!) but my car does 5000 miles a year it hardly ever goes on track and the compromises for a RAC roll bar are too many IMO for a road going car.

But bottom line if it makes YOU feel safer then do it, or the cheaper option is dont drive like a complete t*t :p

To be fair you could say 'the wrong set of circumstances' are to blame for ALL accidents. I know a guy who rolled his Westfield - he was lucky and just lost an ear but it could have been a lot lot worse.

You can say an RAC roll bar isn't needed just as much as a set of harnesses or a seatbelt isn't until you need it.

Difference is virtually all accidents, a seatbelt,/harness will reduce injurys or save your life. Wheras a roll bar will save you in those 1 in a million accidents. If we applied that logic to life, people would live in underground bunkers and never come out.

1 in a million accidents? Mate I'm not sure there's anywhere close to 1 million Westfields out on the road yet I know somebody who lost an ear in one of those accidents. I'm not saying he'd have got away any better with an RAC bar but it's OBVIOUS they offer more protection than a standard bar in the same way harnesses offer more protection than a standard seatbelt.

Well after following this thread, and also being in the hunt for a new toy, I thought I would add a couple of questions to the cauldron.

Just how much tighter is the narrow body, as I fitted okay into a wide westy at Stoneleigh but do have a wide a** to match the 6 pack that has evolved into a keg on my front.

Also, if I went the BEC route, would I be looking at more £'s in the long run for services/replacement bits/reliability etc?

So much easier to choose between a LX and a Ghia.

I never meant the thread to get into a whole rampage on the benefits of rollbars!  Haha!

Having never owned a Westfield I feel awkward stating my opinion, but I am an opinionated sod, so I will do so anyway.

It is of my opinion, that you should try and get the most safety into the car as possible in proportion to how much safety you want and obviously, risk.

After personally rolling a car, a roll bar in a very small car without a roof is obviously, very high on my priority list.  Rolling a car is never fun with some tin on top of you, without it, well...must be ugly.  So having some steel supports above my head just means that I feel safer if the worst does come to the worst.

Sure you could get T-Boned, but hey, life is a b***h, you have done everything you can do protect yourself, you can't protect yourself against other idiots on the road, realistically in a Westie!

I think to say that if you are so concerned about a rollcage and safety then the whole point of having a Westie is stupid from a safety point of view, is silly.  Personally I want a Westie to have fun in, get that thrill from taking risks, but equally they are calculated risks.  You do not go out in the morning and think, right today, I am going to roll the car.  Accidents are always so unexpected it is always IMO best to be prepared for the worst, because you never know, it might happen.

On the other hand, if you like that thrill then fair play, but I think it is callous to instantly dismiss rollcages because Westies are inherently dangerous.  If you can negate some risk, then they become safer.

So yeh, I may have never owned or been in a Westie, but after personal experience and never wanting to repeat that experience, I am all for, full roll cages on any car but especially open top sports cars.

Well that's what i think anyway...

Graham

Well after following this thread, and also being in the hunt for a new toy, I thought I would add a couple of questions to the cauldron.

Just how much tighter is the narrow body, as I fitted okay into a wide westy at Stoneleigh but do have a wide a** to match the 6 pack that has evolved into a keg on my front.

Also, if I went the BEC route, would I be looking at more £'s in the long run for services/replacement bits/reliability etc?

So much easier to choose between a LX and a Ghia.

4" narrower and 4" shorter best advice go for a wide you can grow onto it like me :D

Like a said before if it makes you feel safer go for it! I personally don't feel the need.

I don't think any risks on the road are calculated there are too many idiots about willing to risk it all to prove a point and you can never quantify the level of risk.

We drive these cars because there fun but what's fun is rarely good for you.

Shall we change the subject  :D

You still coming up Sunday night chap?

Just to jump on the backof the thread again, and also because it may help the OP, what are peoples thoughts on this one

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/812358.htm

Cheers for any thoughts/opinons

Dosnt look bad for the money, theres no really nice trick bits on it but its not a bad price, it looks like a good example of a basic car.

Personaly I hate the red interior IMO it looks as safisticated as a 5 mark hooker! but thats my taste.

I would question the "the prefered and more costly twin delortos 45 carbs" preffered to what exactly? webbers, injection?

married to a mt 75 5 speed box(superior to type 9 box)

How to make friends and influence people.

Try telling that to some one with a £6k quaife type 9 !!

or to someone wanting to change their MT75 internals to be told sorry there are non made you should have gone for the more versatile type9.   :bangshead:  :durr: