Newbie requires a helping hand!

gbduo

What are the advantages of the XE over the Zetec?

Try and keep the thread concise and ask what are the advantages of the Zetec over the XE instead.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gbduo

• Cleggy the Spyder Man

• James

• perksy

What are the advantages of the XE over the Zetec?

Try and keep the thread concise and ask what are the advantages of the Zetec over the XE instead.

Oh God, I have started something now haven't I!

:laugh:

Ok, then what are the advantages of the Zetec over the XE?

Personally, after looking through magazines, I went with Zetec because I thought it was more common, more parts were available for it and it was more reliable/hard wearing with greater and easier power gains to get from it.

However, I am a n00b...so could be very wrong!

I can't say I like the look of the interior or the grafitti down the side but it does look like quite a good price for the year. I'd say it'd be worth a look.

Even though I have the duratec I would say the VX engine is possibly more desirable in some ways ... Sounds better and you will have a lot greater choice of motors to chose from

The westfield duratec (my choice) comes with throttle bodies and they claim 205bhp, although most people on these forms think 190bhp is a more realistic figure ... have not had mine rolling roaded yet so I have no idea ...

Either engine would certainly get your heart racing, and both have scope for upgrading, although to get a big increase you will need really deep pockets as you will need to upgrade the bottom end

You could always lighten the car instead???

One thing I will say is: try to get a car with at least an RAC roll bar, also consider if you prefer the chrome look or the black look - many people tend to be building with black wheels and trim these days which does looking aggresive

Also I prefer cars fitted with V8 bonnets or at least ducted bonnets, makes the car look really mean

Can you tell what's on my shopping list  :D

I was in a similar position to you 6 months ago, just a few years older and with a few less grand to spend.

After a lot of thought and research, my budget was only reaching the pinto's. Everyone said if you have that little extra or can get it go for a zetec or red top. So I went to the bank and borrowed a bit more.

After looking through the ad's everyday, I started to look at BEC's. Ultimately I was put off these as the aim was for this to be my only car and be used daily (that idea went straight out of the window after a couple of weeks). Pistonheads is definitely the best place to look.

Anyway I settled for a 94 SEIW in brg with yellow stripes. I'd been told not to worry about the age much, it was how well it was built and looked after that was important. The one I bought had the vauxhall red top engine in it and over time it had some upgrading, same as you specified qed uprated cams, weber alpha ignition system and weber 45's. It was producing 190bhp. I had been in some fairly quick cars before, but this was in a totally different league. Anyway after a little haggling to get it down to my budget I bought it, 6 months later with about a 1000 more miles on the clock, i'm wanting it faster ;). I think any extra hp is going to cost, so i'm going to try the ligtening option. Although the only ways I can see are new seats and aeroscreen instead of windscreen. That should take it under 600kg, which I think will be the limit unless I spend serious money on CF or lightening other parts.

Definitely take your time, there should be some great bargains around now.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

FW500: I quite like the graffiti on the side, lol!  And the interior for that matter, but I think I might put in more racey seats when I get round to it, might go and see it on Friday...

Cleggy: An RAC roll bar is a roll bar which is triangulated, right?  Thanks for the advice on engines too :D  The one I posted at the top on autotrader has a ducted bonnet and looks pretty cool, and is also going for the black look which I definitely prefer over chrome...fine on a classic British Sports Car, not so good on a Westie IMO.

bjnsharp: I have been looking since around September 08 so about 6 months now, albeit only seriously over the past month.  I think tuning for me is a long term plan, and I would rather buy a decent car with tuneability now with the money I have and then when I earn more and have deeper pockets and more disposable income, go down the black hole and money pit route of tuning and worse, racing!  

I am definately going to buy a second car, I have my eye on a classic Mercedes 320e on Pistonheads atm, looks lush and as I will be doing 22k miles a year from September, should eat them nicely and then I have the Westie for a evening/weekend bash!

I'll keep checking Pistonheads, there was a really nice black Westie on there a couple of days ago but it just sold :(

I need to go and drive some i think...oh that leads on to another question, I am 6ft1 and quite broad (42" inch chest), I will fit in a Westfield won't I?!!

Cheers guys!

Graham

What do you guys think of this one?

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk....etter=J

Ooh Noooo....

You'll get much better for your cash!!  :t-up:

Serious?

It is only a year old, done 230 miles, fuel injected and with the 2ltr Zetec engine and SS exhaust?

I know it has not really been tuned for power, but that just means it is more of a project for me to waste money into!  

Or would you recommend buying a car which is older and done more miles but has had more money spent on it?

the rear wheels sit too far forwards in the arches for some reason?!?!?!?

Agree with FW500 on the interior & graphics, you need to bear in mind resale value if at some point you sell it in the future!!

Having done a similar exercise last summer, I found an older car with more 'upgrades' on it that had been looked after and well built was better than a newer car with standard exhaust / brakes / bits & bobs etc., plus you dont take as much of a depreciation hit.

There are some 10 year old cars out there which look 10 days old!!! :t-up:

Ooh Noooo....

You'll get much better for your cash!!  :t-up:

Serious?

It is only a year old, done 230 miles, fuel injected and with the 2ltr Zetec engine and SS exhaust?

I know it has not really been tuned for power, but that just means it is more of a project for me to waste money into!  

Or would you recommend buying a car which is older and done more miles but has had more money spent on it?

yes apologies - deleted the post as was a little harsh!!! :blush:   my later post was a little more constructive!!! :t-up:

the rear wheels sit too far forwards in the arches for some reason?!?!?!?

Agree with FW500 on the interior & graphics, you need to bear in mind resale value if at some point you sell it in the future!!

Having done a similar exercise last summer, I found an older car with more 'upgrades' on it that had been looked after and well built was better than a newer car with standard exhaust / brakes / bits & bobs etc., plus you dont take as much of a depreciation hit.

There are some 10 year old cars out there which look 10 days old!!! :t-up:

Ok, fair point on the interior/graphics, I don't mind the graphics but having looked at the interior again, I think that will probably need to be changed from something which looks distinctly cruise like to racing seats and harnesses at the least, which is going to to grow arms and legs, because the whole interior is in beige leather...and yeh, expensive.

Yeh, not sure about the rear wheels, i think that will require closer inspection on Friday.  It looks like the whole axle is about 20mm too far forward, umm...

I think I will have a look at the car, to see what a new car is like, drives like, etc, then I have something to base what an older car drives like and what the upgrades do...

Good plan?

I am same height and size and fit fine in my seiw. Could maybe do with sitting a little lower, but new seats should sort that.

As for those seats you posted: here

Oh wow, what an amazing site bjnsharp!!!

Lol!

Cheers, seats are quite reasonably priced, that makes it a bit more doable, but still going to wait for the perfect one to come up I think...

Don't slag of us chrome boys  :D  however after seeing some black booted westies I much prefer them !

I am 6 foot 2" and fit in no problems, it is worth pointing out however that I have lifted up my steering column an inch or so, but if you get one with a removable steering wheel you will probably be ok as it is ...

My westy has the lowered floorpan which is worth looking our for if you can find one, it is a standard option I believe from Westfield ...

Like the other guys have said don't worry about age too much, many of these cars are treated as weekend dry day motors only, so if you find one that has been loved then you will be sorted - and so many have been upgraded with thousands spent, so they would be cracking buys...

If you do find one you like ask on here who knows the car, it is a small world and many of the westies out there are known to WSCC members...