Rebuilding a Westfield

Rory's Dad

C'mon guys!! Make me an offer as close to £4,000 as you dare!  :p  :p  :p

Are you a bit worried by the cost of a new 1600i kit??  It’s £15,999 if you didn’t know so here’s an alternative to getting all the pleasure out of building a 'new' kit at a fraction of the cost.

We have decided that we are not going to rebuild our wonderful 3 month old Westfield 1600i which was written off following a collision with a Ducati  :down:  :down:  :down:.  

Starting with this and a new Module 1 from the factory to the specification and colour(s) you prefer, you will have practically everything you need to recreate a ‘57 registered Westfield 1600i with about 2,500 miles on the clock.

Using a new chassis with the original chassis number means that no SVA will be required, the original ‘57 registration can be retained and the balance of the factory guarantee will still be in place.

The specification of the car is as follows:

Ford 1600 all alloy Zetec ‘S’, 135 bhp and about 85kgs

Ford Type 9 gearbox

Ford 3.92 diff

Westfield wide track front suspension and inboard arb.

Standard shockers

4 Team Dynamics alloy wheels and R888s

No weather equipment or carpets

No heater

RAC roll bar

Weighed in at just under 530 kg at SVA

All parts were new and were bought direct from the factory in April 2007

Briefly, the car had taken a year to build and was on the road by the end of March 2008 (see here).  The accident resulted in damage to the rear of the car but from the dashboard forwards it seems largely untouched.  The car was just a delight to drive and for me a ‘dream come true’.

The damaged car is just that and I do not offer or imply any guarantee about the extent of the damage or the condition of the any of the parts.  You must come and see for yourself and make your own assessment.

The damaged car is now stripped of all the old bodywork and all the bits and pieces that were attached to the bodywork (eg lights etc) are all boxed up ready for refitting.  The exit pipe and the end of  the Westfield silencer (which has a cat) is a bit bent and will need straightening and a bit of welding.  However I include a brand new s/s repackable ‘Wunoff’ silencer which cost £200.

Using the brochure prices, the following is an indication of the cost of a Module 1 kit plus the additional parts required.  Again I must stress that this is just an indicative list and I do not know if any more or less parts may be actually required.  The risk is yours.

Module 1                £3555.00

RAC roll bar            £230.99      The existing one is slightly twisted but might straighten

Fuel pump              £126.00       Dented

Fuel tank              £215.25       Small puncture but might repair

Rear lights                £30.00      One is OK, the other might repair

Handbrake cable      £25.00      One end missing

One four point belt   £68.24      To replace the one on the driver’s side

Total                     £4250.38

According to the brochure, Module 1 comprises the following:

“Space Frame Chassis (Epoxy Coated) with Fitted Aluminium Panels & Rivnuts Inserted, Complete Bodywork, Front and Rear Wishbones (Epoxy Coated and Bushed), Aluminium Rear Uprights, Fitted Pedal Assembly, Master Cylinder, Driveshaft, Fitted Brake Pipes and Hoses, Fitted Fuel Pipes, Steering Column Top Assembly, Battery Tray, Fitted Wiring Loom and Fuses, Fixings, Clips, Nuts and Bolts, Build Manual”.

Buying the Module 1 seems to be at least £1,000 cheaper than buying the parts individually.  Please note that Module 1 includes a pair of new front wishbones which you won’t need.  Our car includes a wide track front wishbone kit, a £495 optional extra.  The pedal assembly and master cylinder will be spare too.  

So there you have it - the opportunity to build yourself a Westfield with a new chassis and bodywork in the colour of your choice - and none of the hassle of SVA or registration just as close to £4,000 as you can getfor our car plus around £4,250 for the new parts that you’ll need to buy from the factory (see above).

Please pm me with your email address for some pictures or for any further details you may require.

Rory's increasingly impoverished Dad  :D

Yes I have - please pm me your email address and I'll send some.

However, the route proposed above means that all the damaged stuff gets thrown away - starting with the chassis.  The tub has already gone to the tip because it was in two or three pieces  :(  :(  :(

Rory's Dad

• 2 weeks later...

Now offered at £4,000 to include the race seats.  Need to sell - so it's going on Pistonheads soon.

Rory's Dad

Hi Rory's dad, with it getting one up the rear has any damage been transfered down the diff / prop in to the gearbox / engine? i.e. anything cracked or bend?

Does it have a LSD?

What is the brake / hub set up?

Is the engine on throttle bodies or standard ford fuelling? Do you know what can be squeezed out of the engine for little £

It wouldn't have to go through SVA would it after the rebuild?

I could do with a little project to do and I'm not looking to lay much cash out as I'm currently keeping my eyes peeled for a house, but if eveything looked good you never know!!!....

Cheers,

Luke

P.S. A few piccies would be handy  :)

Most of my questions have just been asked above, however just to add to them:

Does it have AP master cylinder and 4 pot calipers on the front?

Did it have floor mounted pedals?

Is the clutch cable or hydraulic operated?

Thanks.

Luke and Bloggy - please pm me your email address and I'll send you the details and photos you need  :)  :)  :)

Rory's Dad

In the meantime here are some answers to your questions.

Luke - the car was hits by a bike coming at me - skimmed all the stuff at the front but hit the rear wing hard, taking the wheel, half the upright and the spring and damper unit clean off  :down:  :down:  No likelyhood of any shunt up the drive train IMO.

No LSD.

Golf rear calipers, dunno about the fronts, all in standard alloy Westfield uprights and hubs.

The inlet side is Ford/Westfield - you'll see on the photographs.  It's a lovely engine - really willing and weighs nothing.  Can really feel the difference compared with the Vauxhall I have now.  Shawspeed are the people to talk to about more power I believe.

No SVA required.

Bloggy - standard Westfield set up on brakes.  Again have lots of trick bits on the current car but I think my old one stopped just as well.

It has floor mounted pedals.

...and a cable clutch.

I'll post you the pickies when I have your email addresses.

Rory's Dad

Still no sale so I've also put the car up for sale as parts individually priced.  However the car as a whole is still up for sale as a package for the next few days only  :)  :)  :)

Rory's Dad

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.